News: BTB: Dallas Cowboys News & Notes: Can DeMarcus Lawrence Make An Immediate Impact For Cowboys?

NewsBot

Reaction score
20121122_mje_se2_790.0_standard_400.0.jpg

Latest Cowboys headlines: A look at which rookies made an impression during OTAs; Dez Bryant is stepping up as a leader; Extension coming for Cole Beasley?

BeWare, rookie Lawrence could star for Cowboys - Rob Rang, CBSSports.com
This article is one of a 32-part series in which Rob $Rang identifies one relatively unheralded player selected in the 2014 NFL Draft who appears to be an especially good schematic fit with his new NFL team. For the Cowboys, Rang selects DeMarcus Lawrence and has some high praise for the rookie.

Lawrence does possess the combination of athleticism, technique and grit to make an immediate impact, however, validating Dallas' aggressive trade with division rival Washington to move up 13 spots to nab him with the second pick of Round Two.

Like the 6-foot-4, 258 pound Ware, Lawrence (6-foot-3, 251) is an explosive pass rusher, whose speed off the edge helped him rack up 20 sacks over his two seasons at Boise State. He is hardly a one-trick pony, however, demonstrating an impressive repertoire of pass rush moves to go along with strength and savvy. Lawrence is flexible and instinctive enough to drop back into coverage on occasion but in defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli's predominately 4-3 alignment, he'll be asked to rush from the right defensive end role on most snaps.

Rang is also positive on Zack Martin, Ben Gardner and Ahmad Dixon in an article that will be well worth your time.

Mailbag: Which Rookies Stood Out During OTAs? - DC.com
Nick Eatman shares his thoughts on which rookies made an impression during OTAs.

It’s going to be hard to cut defensive tackle Davon Coleman, an undrafted rookie from Arizona State. Watch out for Dashaun Phillips, a cornerback from Tarleton State. This Ronald Patrick, a guard from South Carolina also looks pretty good. As for the drafted guys, DeMarcus Lawrence looks better than I thought he would. Zack Martin is going to be a solid rookie with the chance to be really good.

David Helman adds that CB Terrance Mitchell stood out in the three days of minicamp he was able to participate in.

Position Battles: Rookie, Vet Could Vie For 6th WR Spot - Bryan Broaddus, DC.com
Bryan Broaddus kicks off what promises to be a 12-part series on position battles with a look at wide receivers. Broaddus believes that Dez Bryant, Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley, and Dwayne Harris are all locks to make the roster, and fifth-round pick Devin Street is somewhere in there as well.

Dez Stepping Up as a Leader on New-Look Cowboys | Scott Crisp, NBC 5 DFW
Dez Bryant says veterans DeMarcus Ware, Jason Hatcher and Miles Austin helped him prepare for the leadership role he'll have to take on now that they're gone.

"You’ve got to give credit to those guys you just named, Hatcher, Miles and Ware," Bryant told the team’s official website last week. "That’s where it started from. Like I said, I was a guy that’s trying to build and see how you do it the right way, and that’s exactly what I took from them. Add it to what I already knew, and me being a passionate player, trying to control that as well and be a great teammate to my friends and my family."

Lance Dunbar says he’s "100 percent" entering 2014 | ProFootballTalk
Dunbar indicated he was back to full strength after suffering a left knee injury last November that ended his 2013 campaign.

"I’ve been feeling pretty good, not having any problems, no soreness or anything. I feel 100 percent," Dunbar said last week, according to Steve Hunt of Fox Sports Southwest.

Eatman: Extensions For Dez & Tyron? Don’t Forget Beasley - Nick Eatman, DC.com
Eatman sees a lot of potential for Beasley in 2014, which he cites as a key reason to extend Beasley early instead of waiting until his price goes up.

I really don’t see a game where he doesn’t have three to five receptions, if not more. That’s why I’m predicting somewhere in the 60-75 catch range for him this year. I know that sounds like a lot, but that’s where I think Beasley’s career is headed. Just 15 catches as a rookie. Then 39 last year in his second season. It wouldn’t be a surprise to me if he gets close to doubling that again in 2014. If that happens, the Cowboys will be sorry they didn’t get a deal done in the offseason.

Witten Weighs In On Orton Absence, Weeden & Romo - Rowan Kavner, DC.com
Witten said he was disappointed Orton didn’t attend the mandatory minicamp last week, but is optimistic about Tony Romo’s progress, and likes what he's seen from Brandon Weeden so far.

"We haven’t put on pads, so I hate to go too far, but he’s done a great job," Witten said. "He’s embraced this opportunity. I think he’s learned a lot from Tony, and he’s gotten a lot of reps, 10, 11 practices now with the ones. I thought he’s done a great job."

Cowboys Hoping New Tricks Break Old Habits | Richie Whitt, NBC 5 DFW
Whitt details some of the things the Cowboys have been doing differently this season, either to avoid injuries or to add a new element to the practice routine. A non-exhaustive list: A ballerina bar, knee braces, medicine balls, duck walks, swim goggles.

Dallas Cowboys heat up hamstrings - Calvin Watkins, ESPN Dallas
Watkins with another entry into the list of odds and ends seen at practices recently:

During offseason workouts this spring and summer, some position players were wearing tights to keep their legs warm and in some cases using heat spray on their legs.

Of course, everybody knows that all of this is nowhere near as effective as drinking smoothies and listening to Duran Duran.

Ranking The Roster: A Cowboys Projection - KD Drummond, **click-bait**
KD Ranks the roster No. 1 through No. 53 and throws in a practice squad as well. Hidden in the numbers are a few surprises: Punter Cody Mandell makes the roster over Chris Jones, six cornerbacks and five safeties make the team, and Matt Johnson is the third safety.

star_medium.gif

smallTC_logo2014.jpg

Hit the PayPal button below to donate to our BTB 2014 Training Camp Fund!
pixel.gif

Target
amount Raised
to date

$3,000 $862.82

Continue reading...