News: BTB: Dallas Cowboys News & Notes: Players & Coaches React To Loss Against Chargers

NewsBot

Reaction score
20130929_jla_usa_970.0_standard_400.0.jpg

Jones: Cowboys Were Outplayed In Every Aspect Vs. Chargers - David Helman, DallasCowboys.com
Jerry Jones draws parallels to the other road game the Cowboys lost, the Week 2 match against the Chiefs:

"I don’t know – I just look at it completely within the context of this year. We’re playing these games by the year. This is -- again, I think – different circumstances," Jones said. "We’ve played two AFC teams. Both of them had some sound quarterbacking – they played well. Rivers played to his reputation out there today – we couldn’t defense him. They balanced it up really good, and we paid the consequences."

He added: "It was unsuspected, but they did outplay us without a doubt."

Cowboys offense left watching - Todd Archer, ESPN Dallas
The defense may receive a lot of flak for their performance on Sunday, but Garrett also saw the offense repeatedly fail to make plays when they had a chance to.

“You’ve got to make those plays,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Those aren’t easy plays. Those aren’t easy throws and easy catches, but those guys are capable of making them. Again, I keep saying this, but in a game like this, it comes back down to those kind of plays when we’re not slowing them down and we have to match them and every one of those allows you to maintain a possession by converting a third down or putting you in a more favorable third down type situation.”

Monte Kiffin on facing Peyton Manning after getting torched by Philip Rivers: "That's not good." - Clarence Hill, Star-Telegram
Things aren't going to get any easier for the Cowboys when they face the Broncos next week.

"Last time I checked," Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said, "the quarterback ratings came out this week [and] number one was Manning. Guess who number two was? Rivers. We told our team that. We knew this was going to be a tough game. No doubt about it. He’s a heck of a quarterback. He’s playing better right now than back when he played three or four years ago. He can still play, and we told our defense that."

"…We knew it was going to be a tough game, but we expected to win. We really did. No excuses. We should have won the football game. We should have got our offense the ball more. That’s our fault. Put that on our defense."

The Cowboys are still in first place but ... - Calvin Watkins, ESPN Dallas
Technically, the Cowboys didn't lose any ground in the NFC East, but that is only a small consolation for Jason Witten and Tony Romo:

"It's tough, really tough," tight end Jason Witten said. "You don't want to win one, lose one and that’s disappointing. It's still a lot of football to play and we have a close group that believes in themselves. We'll get better and bounce back. We have a lot of resolve on this team and we got to go do it though, we can't just say that."

"It's disappointing after a loss like today," quarterback Tony Romo said. "We had a good week of practice, guys prepared well and were ready to go so to not come out and play as well as we hoped, is frustrating and disappointing. Our football team has a close knit group of people that are going to go back to work and learn from the mistakes that each one of us made to make us better going into the next game."

Dallas Cowboys pass rush quiet vs. patchwork O-line - Tim MacMahon, ESPN Dallas
DeMarcus Ware and Jason Hatcher reflect on what turned out to be a quiet day from the defensive line:

"I just didn’t play the game I needed to play," Ware said. "It really doesn’t matter what the rush is doing if he’s getting rid of the ball in two seconds," Ware said. "But when he does hold the ball, we weren’t effective enough as a rush team getting pressure on him."

"We’ve just got to do a better job of getting to the quarterback," Hatcher said. "They did a good job of keeping guys in, doubling me all night, chipping me all night.

Rivers shreds Kiffin’s defense - Dallas Cowboys and the NFL
Jason Hatcher thinks the Cowboys need to put this game behind them quickly, as an even bigger test is looming:

"We have to bounce back," defensive tackle Jason Hatcher said. "We got hands down the best QB in the league coming in here. This guy (Manning) is a scientist out there. We have to shake this one off quick. If not, we’re going to get embarrassed."

Morris Claiborne on his afternoon at Qualcomm: 'It was a very hard day.' - Carlos Mendez, Star-Telegram
Claiborne said he had a "very hard" day after the Chargers picked on his side of the field.

"They were just throwing it to the spots that weren’t covered," he said. "They made plays. We didn’t. It was a very hard day. Any time you give up that many catches, it’s a hard day. But all you can do is keep playing, keep playing the coverage."

Again, taking his eye off the ball costs Dez Bryant on a sideline catch
Bryant spoke to the press in the lockerroom after the loss:

"Got to keep grinding. Got to keep working," Bryant said , asked what it will take to get the Cowboys out of the win-one-lose-one mode. "To me, it’s all about mental. It don’t matter how fast you are, how strong you are, it’s all about who wants it more. That’s what we’re going to keep working on, and I do believe we want it more. We just got to go out there and show it."

star_medium.gif

More from Blogging The Boys:

Continue reading...