News: BTB: Dallas Cowboys Rookies: Evaluating The Playing Time of Recent Rookie Classes

RS12

Reaction score
Yesterday, we took a look at the number of snaps played by each of the last six Cowboys draft classes in their rookie seasons. We found that the 2013 rookie class played in 15.3% of the total offensive and defensive snaps in their rookie season, making the 2013 Cowboys rookies the most productive rookie class of the last six years.

But is that high enough, or still too low? How much is good enough?

You often hear how it usually takes three years, and sometimes more, to fully evaluate a rookie class. So that's exactly what we'll do today. We'll look at the snap percentages of each season's rookie class and see how those values have progressed over the years.

Again, one important note up front: The snap numbers I use are taken from Pro Football Focus, and unfortunately, their data only goes back to 2008, so I don't have snap numbers for the rookie seasons of rookie classes prior to 2008. But I do have the second year of the 2007 class, the third year of the 2006 class and the fourth year of the 2005 class and so on.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014...ing-the-playing-time-of-recent-rookie-classes