News: BTB: Don't Call It A Comeback: Ranking Tony Romo's Fourth-Quarter Comebacks (#18)

NewsBot

Reaction score
GettyImages-83714961.0.jpg

Over the next several weeks before training camp, let's relive some of Tony Romo's best comeback stories. This one featured Romo and the Cowboys outrunning the Commanders and wearing them down.

[In the ten seasons that Tony Romo has been the starting quarterback, he's engineered some great fourth-quarter heroics to bring the Cowboys to victories. Since 2006, no quarterback has had more fourth-quarter comeback victories, 25 to be exact, than Tony Romo. His passer rating in the final quarter of football is an astounding 102.9, five points higher than the number two guy (Aaron Rodgers). Romo also holds the mantle of most game-winning drives among active quarterbacks (29) as well as passer rating in the final two minutes (93.1).

Over the next several weeks before the team heads out to Oxnard and starts it all up again, I thought we could take some time to look back at Mr. Clutch Quarterback himself. We're going to rank all of his comeback tales from good to great, from awesome to completely amazing. Here's looking at you, Mr. Romo.]

18. Romo Makes Up For Early Game Blunders (Nov. 16, 2008)

For the third time this series but certainly not the last, we revisit the rivalry with the Commanders-Cowboys. It's always great to have some competitive divisional fights and this one seems to have lots of low scoring affairs. On this day, Mr. November and the Cowboys got off to a rocky start.

On the first drive, the Cowboys go three and out after Marion Barber fumbles but recovers the ball. Pat Watkins is called for a facemask on the punt so the Commanders start with an extra 15-yards at the Dallas 49. The first Commanders possession starts out well with a few completions from Jason Campbell and Clinton Portis working the ground game. On 4th and 1 from the Dallas 11, Portis off the left side picks up nine yards and Campbell finds Mike Sellers on the next play for the score. Commanders up 7-0.

The Cowboys are back at it and Romo starts to look sharp as he slices up the secondary with passes to Terrell Owens, Miles Austin, and Marion Barber. However, on 3rd and 3 from the Washington 27, a pass to Owens is picked off by DeAngelo Hall (he's getting old) and the drive is over. The Cowboys and Commanders can't make much of the next two drives each team has and we're under 5:00 in the half.

Determined to tie this one before the half, Romo comes out with a vengeance finding Barber for 7 yards then back-to-back plays of 25+ yard passes to Owens and Jason Witten to get them to the 2-yard line. Barber punches this one in with 1:06 left in the half and we're tied at seven points apiece.

Nick Folk's kick is returned 58 yards by Rock Cartwright and Shaun Suisham gives the Commanders a three-point lead before the half.

The Commanders put together a very nice drive after the break but Campbell throws an interception to Terence Newman on 3rd and 2 from the Dallas 35. The Cowboys next two drives are stalled by penalties along the offensive line. The Commanders ensuing drive makes it to the Dallas 20, where Campbell is sacked by Jay Ratliff and Suisham misses a field goal attempt from 46 yards out.

At the beginning of the 4th quarter, the Cowboys are driving the ball downfield as Barber catches a 7-yarder and follows that up with a few runs totaling 27 yards. On 3rd and 7, Romo gets eight with a pass to Austin. The very next play Romo connects with Martellus Bennett for 25-yards and the touchdown. Cowboys take the lead 14-10.

The Commanders' efforts go for nothing as Jason Campbell's play turns erratic and he's missing on pass after pass. With 6:40 left, the Cowboys behind Romo and Barber wear the Commanders down on a drive that lasts 13 plays and forces the Commanders to use all their timeouts. Romo kneels the ball on the final play at the Washington 15 and this one is over.

More impressive to me than scoring that touchdown was the fact that Romo took the ball with almost seven minutes left and never let the ball get back to Washington. They never had a chance with only one short drive in the fourth quarter. Romo not only preserved the lead but used Barber and Austin to pick up first downs to keep the Commanders with no opportunities. The game was decided on that touchdown to Bennett with 11 minutes left in the game.

Continue reading...

Beats_By_Zeke

Reaction score
the one that stands out to me was 2007 against the bills. We had no right or reason for winning that game. The close 2nd for me is the giants game last year. I already turned the game off and heard my dad yelling in the bedroom. I was shocked. Thought we were destined for a SB last year.

Trendnet

Reaction score
the one that stands out to me was 2007 against the bills. We had no right or reason for winning that game. The close 2nd for me is the giants game last year. I already turned the game off and heard my dad yelling in the bedroom. I was shocked. Thought we were destined for a SB last year.

What if the Cowboys had lost that game against the Bills?

They wouldn't have been the #1 seed going into the playoffs, and they wouldn't have faced the Giants either.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

Yeah I also loved his interview after the Buffalo game. A female reporter (can't remember who) said to him something like this...By the half, you had 4 interceptions, how did you feel...He smiled and looked at her and said...4? That's it, I thought it was more!

That's when I really started to like this kid.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Also telling is how many times Tony had led a go ahead drive, only to have the defense ruin his comeback by losing the game.

It's not a stat I can find the NFL tracking, but I tried to total some of the top QBS a few years ago and Tony was not surprisingly off the charts ahead of the rest of the top comeback QBs.

SHAMSzy

Reaction score
The Bills game was unbelievable.. But he was the reason we were in the hole in the first place.

Comeback against the Seahawks, @SF OT win to Holley, Giants last year, and the 4th down TD to Murray against Commanders to make the playoffs stand out off the top of my head..

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I hope your dad yelling in the bedroom was because he was still watching the game after you gave up. Otherwise, I can understand you being shocked.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Bills game was unbelievable.. But he was the reason we were in the hole in the first place.

Comeback against the Seahawks, @SF OT win to Holley, Giants last year, and the 4th down TD to Murray against Commanders to make the playoffs stand out off the top of my head..

Just finished watching that game recently, and Romo definitely stunk ... so much so that he was almost in disbelief himself, hanging his head and throwing water in his face. He looked totally dejected and then willed us back into the game that was kept in reach by the defense.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just finished watching that game recently, and Romo definitely stunk ... so much so that he was almost in disbelief himself, hanging his head and throwing water in his face. He looked totally dejected and then willed us back into the game that was kept in reach by the defense.

Yeah, truly a very unusual scenario for this team. Would be nice to have a D like that right now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also telling is how many times Tony had led a go ahead drive, only to have the defense ruin his comeback by losing the game.

It's not a stat I can find the NFL tracking, but I tried to total some of the top QBS a few years ago and Tony was not surprisingly off the charts ahead of the rest of the top comeback QBs.

This isn't the stat you are looking for, but for anyone interested in the links can see where Tony is on these lists.
You will probably need to go through all the close losses to figure out the that stat. But it does seem to happen a lot. Heck even last year we had 2 OT losses the defense gave up, not to mention a few regulation time losses also they blew.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gwd_career.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=RomoTo00

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score

I was at that game - as scared as I have ever been walking out of a sporting event. A cop came up to us and implored us to take off our gear on the way out to the parking lot. Ended up walking in my t-shirt.

I grew up in western New York but it wouldn't have mattered that night. Unbelievable game though.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
the 2007 buffalo game

havent seen this since 2007, so going to watch it now.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Wow that was a fun game to watch!
It pretty much had it all.
Sam Hurd was on the team then and made a key play on the onside kick.
The calling TO to freeze the kicker, had only been done twice before , and started that season.