News: BTB: Free agent rumors: Would the Cowboys move David Irving for a high draft pick?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
2nd round tender. If someone is willing to give take it.

Irvin doesnt fit our system. We have a 3 tech. We need a 1. If we can get get a 2nd for him heck we can draft a good LB or a good LG which will help us so much more then Irvin. And we still have our first for a DT/WR and our second for maybe a good safety.
Sacks cost about 1m each

A 1st round tender is for 4.1m and Irving will get 10 sacks......... that is a huge bargain

Don't give him to NE for the 64th pick in the draft and then NE gets a 3rd comp when he leaves

They stole RB Mike Gillislee from BUF last year for a 5th rounder

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
No. First round tender allows you to negotiate a trade for less. E.g. you'd take a 2 from the Browns but not the Pats

You're willing to pay unrelaible $4million? That's probably what a first round tender will cost this year. I don't know how many teams would offer more, first round tenders scare most teams away. Second round tender costs less and attracts more. Depends on what the team wants to do. We really don't know their thoughts on Irving

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Everything is always in play. The Cowboys are better than they used to be about holding their cards closer to their vest than they used to be. I'm not saying that is what they WILL do, I'm just saying no one really knows what their thinking is, or if they are even thinking at all, as some fans want to believe.
Very true

Verdict

Reaction score
2nd round tender. If someone is willing to give take it.

Irvin doesnt fit our system. We have a 3 tech. We need a 1. If we can get get a 2nd for him heck we can draft a good LB or a good LG which will help us so much more then Irvin. And we still have our first for a DT/WR and our second for maybe a good safety.

It may be wise to let Irving go for a 2nd,but I don't think it is for the reasons you have stated.

kevm3

Reaction score
You're willing to pay unrelaible $4million? That's probably what a first round tender will cost this year. I don't know how many teams would offer more, first round tenders scare most teams away. Second round tender costs less and attracts more. Depends on what the team wants to do. We really don't know their thoughts on Irving

Easily. We're going to be paying some rookie who may never amount to anything and be 4 years down the drain if we let Irving walk. Also, lets consider the kind of players we draft in the 2nd round. Sean Lee is hall of fame material when on the field, but you never know how long he's going to hold up. Unreliable. Jaylon Smith completely missed his first year. He's looked ok to decent in his second year. Lawrence, great, but it took him until the end of his contract to really develop. The rest of our 2nd rounders, are they even here? Gregory, unavailable. Escobar, out of the league. Bruce Carter... don't know where he's at. Probably out the league. With our history of 2nd rounders, we're going to get an unreliable player who may not ever even perform.

I take proven performance over potential unless some team like the browns give us the #1 up to the #5 pick in the draft, which won't happen.
As soon as we start having a decent pass rush, the solution is to trade it away and then franchise Lawrence and have him possibly walk the following year as well?

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I’m jump for joy for first round . A high second would be great too but idk how I feel him not being a pivotal point of the dline

Mannix

Reaction score
Maybe Stephen needs to turn over running the cap to someone else...he has been terrible at it for years now. We lose guys every year and replace then with FA scrubs....again, is Norm Sonju helping Stephen now with the cap???

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Easily. We're going to be paying some rookie who may never amount to anything and be 4 years down the drain if we let Irving walk. Also, lets consider the kind of players we draft in the 2nd round. Sean Lee is hall of fame material when on the field, but you never know how long he's going to hold up. Unreliable. Jaylon Smith completely missed his first year. He's looked ok to decent in his second year. Lawrence, great, but it took him until the end of his contract to really develop. The rest of our 2nd rounders, are they even here? Gregory, unavailable. Escobar, out of the league. Bruce Carter... don't know where he's at. Probably out the league. With our history of 2nd rounders, we're going to get an unreliable player who may not ever even perform.

I take proven performance over potential unless some team like the browns give us the #1 up to the #5 pick in the draft, which won't happen.
As soon as we start having a decent pass rush, the solution is to trade it away and then franchise Lawrence and have him possibly walk the following year as well?

Yep, that's true. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Of course the bird in hand could crap in it but that's the risk you take right :)

AbeBeta

Reaction score

You are willing to 3 mill but not 4?

Verdict

Reaction score

Not to be facetious, but it is sort of silly to assume that we are going to piss off our second round pick, or that if we acquire a second round pick we are going to piss it off, or that a second round pick in our possession is somehow cursed.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not to be facetious, but it is sort of silly to assume that we are going to piss off our second round pick, or that if we acquire a second round pick we are going to piss it off, or that a second round pick in our possession is somehow cursed.
not really ...............over 40% of all 2nd round picks are busts

Gaede

Reaction score
1st only. Talent is rare. With the right coach, he could dominate. Is young, entering his prime. Don't settle for a 2

zekecowboy

Reaction score
lol, they aren't even considering trading draft picks to move up to draft a QB in the 1st round when they currently have a two year starter with a 22-10 starter, not to mention MUCH more glaring needs.

Be more concerned with the worst HC in the NFL going into year 8 for us.....THAT should be the biggest concern.

Maybe the Cowboys are planning to trade for another head coach.

kevm3

Reaction score

We'd just be using that 2nd pick to replace the performance of a guy we already have... and that 2nd rounder will take YEARS before he can get to that level. DEs typically take time to develop. I'm taking the guy we already have.

Verdict

Reaction score
We'd just be using that 2nd pick to replace the performance of a guy we already have... and that 2nd rounder will take YEARS before he can get to that level. DEs typically take time to develop. I'm taking the guy we already have.

I don't think anyone is arguing against that point. I think the real issue is will he remain available (suspension or health) and is he a problem child.

Verdict

Reaction score
Hard to define a guy with 11,5 sacks in his 4 year career as a top notch pass rusher.
He has top notch pass rush "potential" but that's a far different thing and if you can replace that with a player with as much or more potential and less risk, it makes sense to do so.

Again, the R2 tender secures a right to meet any bid. It also sends Irving a message about his off-field stuff and the value of being a professional.

A second round pick is also cheaper against the cap. It's not the only consideration but it's a factor, too.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'd sooner take the risk and see if he shapes up next year than trade him for a gamble in the second round.

Same here. The thing you have to think about is that he took a big jump in performance from his first year to his second - then from his second to his third. If he makes the same type of improvement next year (and stays healthy) you are talking about a completely dominant DL who is playing for a low/medium salary.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I do think he'll play here in 2018. I don't think many teams if any will give up a second round pick for him. We'll see if he stays out of trouble this off-season. If he doesn't then no one will touch him other than JJ. If he does then we look at extending him during 2018. One thing is for sure, we won't be able to tag Tank and Irving in 2019, assuming we tag Tank in 2018 and are unable to work out a contract with him. Many moving parts