BTB: Gil Brandt on what Dallas should do

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Gil Brandt talks i listen.

He always make good points and his love for the Cowboys half never dimished I know.
Good to hear from you, Gil!

Very much agreed. I love Gil Brandt. Very knowledgable man with an incredible memory for details. And incredibly polite and respectful to everyone he comes in contact with.

Some of the arrogant media who have never actually DONE ANYTHING could still learn a great deal from a legend like Gil Brandt.

pgreptom

Reaction score
In before the 10 pages of "Garrett sucks" and "Jerry does what he wants" posts.

The BTB author makes some good points. It's hard to argue that the Dallas FO hasn't at least shown improvement in the way they conduct operations.

That being said, whether the consortium's approach correctly makes the decisions that ultimately improve the team's chances of winning remains to be seen.

I don't disagree.. but at the same time, it's really sad to me that we're 4 years into a headcoach and the selling point for keeping this coach is that they have shown improvement in how they conduct operations. It's just depressing. Not we made the playoffs, went 13-3... won our division. No, we have shown improvement with how we sign players and the dollars we invest. Because we had to.

Fredd

Reaction score
IMO, Brandt is a little past the point of being out to pasture...but, he still has NFL credibility, especially when it relates to Dallas

I believe that Garrett has been trying to instill himself into the team, he just needs to get over the hump. The offense needs to take advantage of situational football and using the 2 TE set in the passing game will help to get there...if not that, then perhaps a 3 WR set and/or using the RB's in the passing game more (they used murray last year)...on defense, marinelli's scheme is to pressure the QB, and have speed behind the DL...I think the team is getting there and a strong defensive-minded draft could put the team into position to be successful overall

I think the team is moving in the right direction, but they still have room to grow and improve

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
IMO, Brandt is a little past the point of being out to pasture...but, he still has NFL credibility, especially when it relates to Dallas

I believe that Garrett has been trying to instill himself into the team, he just needs to get over the hump. The offense needs to take advantage of situational football and using the 2 TE set in the passing game will help to get there...if not that, then perhaps a 3 WR set and/or using the RB's in the passing game more (they used murray last year)...on defense, marinelli's scheme is to pressure the QB, and have speed behind the DL...I think the team is getting there and a strong defensive-minded draft could put the team into position to be successful overall

I think the team is moving in the right direction, but they still have room to grow and improve

Hopefully, Garrett just completely steps away from the offense. That'll help. Abandoning this 2 TE idea would be wise as well.

Brandt is on the mark here as anyone with a functioning brain can see the way the Dallas front office is organized isn't conducive to success. Garrett appears to have no real clout in the war room.

Fredd

Reaction score
Hopefully, Garrett just completely steps away from the offense. That'll help. Abandoning this 2 TE idea would be wise as well.

Brandt is on the mark here as anyone with a functioning brain can see the way the Dallas front office is organized isn't conducive to success. Garrett appears to have no real clout in the war room.

I think Garrett does have a voice in the War room, I just think Jones comes first. But, hopefully with McClay in there now with a heightened role, he will help to make sure that Garrett gets what he wants/needs to make the team better

OhSnap

Reaction score
I think it should be mandatory that you like Gil Brandt or you get punched in the face but I almost didn't make it past this"With recent cellar-dwellers like the Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Buccaneers shaping up lately," I didn't know this had happened. I have a strong suspicion that Mr. Brandt is using a ghost writer that works off notes and whatnot.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Still love Gil and Tex but they messed up big time more than a few. They also hit a lot of flushes on the river, too. But I wouldn't play loose with the draft until end of day two at the soonest and probably day 3.

daveferr33

Reaction score
I think it should be mandatory that you like Gil Brandt or you get punched in the face but I almost didn't make it past this"With recent cellar-dwellers like the Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Buccaneers shaping up lately," I didn't know this had happened. I have a strong suspicion that Mr. Brandt is using a ghost writer that works off notes and whatnot.

Well, if some posters can claim that that the cowboys are now moving in the "right direction" (after several false starts in the Garrett era) then I have no problem with Brandt's statement about the Jaguars and Bucs. Both "opinions" lack direct evidence and are based on little more than speculative musings.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Interesting that Gil Brandt is frequently thrown out as an example of how the way Dallas runs things now is no different than in the old Cowboys days with Schramm/Brandt.

Brandt certainly dismisses that fantasy land scenario with this article.
Brandt was the Ciskowski of that era? Well, isn't that something.

This is why Jones would do well to hire an NFL insider -- a veteran front office figure with a background in personnel and preferably general-manager experience -- to direct the football side of the business, specifically with regard to scouting players. The hire in this scenario would be trusted enough that Jones could leave most of the football decisions to this person and focus more on his role of being the owner.
It would be important for the hire to have final say for at least one key reason: so that players wouldn't try to work around this person during contract negotiations. When I worked for the Cowboys, I handled all the contracts, but players sometimes tried to work around me and go directly to coach Tom Landry, which would prompt this response: "I don't have anything to do with that; that's Gil Brandt's job." Dallas needs someone who will have a strong enough presence to maintain a key role in the equation.

OhSnap

Reaction score
Well, if some posters can claim that that the cowboys are now moving in the "right direction" (after several false starts in the Garrett era) then I have no problem with Brandt's statement about the Jaguars and Bucs. Both "opinions" lack direct evidence and are based on little more than speculative musings.

I wouldn't say ANY of the 3 teams have shaped up lately but it's easy to say the Cowboys are headed in the right direction if you consider getting younger and cheaper the right direction compared to where they were in 2010 which was bloated and old.
I don't see how hiring new coaches shaped up the Bucs or the Jags lately, looks to me like they're trying something else because they didn't shape up with the last coach. Maybe they have loaded rosters and just need the right coach, they could be the next SF and Seattle for all I know but I doubt it.

daveferr33

Reaction score
it's easy to say the Cowboys are headed in the right direction if you consider getting younger and cheaper the right direction compared to where they were in 2010 which was bloated and old.

I agree that getting younger and cheaper when you are tight against the cap is the right approach to take. And the FO has made some comments that suggest that their approach in the past--restructuring contracts (or resigning your QB to a new deal in a non-contract year) just to get some cap relief--was not a sound way to do business.

But there is no way to tell, based on the limited amount of evidence available, whether this is a true change in philosophy or simply expedience.

OhSnap

Reaction score
I agree that getting younger and cheaper when you are tight against the cap is the right approach to take. And the FO has made some comments that suggest that their approach in the past--restructuring contracts (or resigning your QB to a new deal in a non-contract year) just to get some cap relief--was not a sound way to do business.

But there is no way to tell, based on the limited amount of evidence available, whether this is a true change in philosophy or simply expedience.

If they get another good team together they'll probably do the same stuff to try to hold it together but I think they'll cover their butts a little better so guys like Ratliff and Barber can't just check out once they hit the lottery.
I don't blame anyone for thinkin they'd go ape dung again if they thought it'd get em in the playoffs one more time because that's what theyve done twice now.