BTB: Gil Brandt ranked his top five Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks, Prescott was three and Romo 5

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If Gil said it, it must be true, right? No. He's giving his opinion. And he's really really old. Might be time to just step back from the keyboard and...do whatever it is really old people do.

Gil is 87. Bless his heart.

I have relatives that are in their late 80s. They throw trash down the laundry shoot, put detergent in the dryer, and leave the oven on.

We don't let them cross the street by themselves.

The lengths some of you will go to defend your opinions is comical. He disagrees with you so he must be senile?

Gil spent decades evaluating players for the NFL. You're a couple of nobodies spewing nonsense on a message board.

Let's see, who is more likely to have an informed opinion? :muttley:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The lengths some of you will go to defend your opinions is comical. He disagrees with you so he must be senile?

Gil spent decades evaluating players for the NFL. You're a couple of nobodies spewing nonsense on a message board.

:yourock::hammer:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In 1983 Cowboys begin the season 12-2 then lost their final 2 games and first playoff game finishing season in very disappointing fashion. Hogeboom won the starting role to begin the 1984 season .

And Danny regained his starting role from Hogeboom in same season as we missed the playoffs for first time in 10 years finishing 9-7.

In 1985 Danny retained his starting role and won division again with Danny. He went down to season ending injury in 1986 after beginning season 6-2. Cowboys finished 7-9 with 1st losing season in 20 years.

Danny never really recovered. Landry never recovered finishing out his career with 3 straight losing seasons with the likes of Hogeboom and Pueller who never led the Cowboys to the playoffs.

Your portrayal didn’t appear to tell the story accurately.

I never told the story. I didn’t go through the entire scenario of why he lost his starting job twice. The Cowboys were declining every season due mainly to bad drafts and Landry being stuck in his ways. He had a tough time moving on from the flex defense that was being eaten up. White was never a good big game QB and his game began to decline. Once he was done the Cowboys were left without a QB and the floor caved in.

CowboysRule

Reaction score

No, he's senile because he's 87. Spent is past tense. Meaning he doesn't do it anymore. He is basically just another nobody now with a name some people remember but that doesn't make him any more informed than any one else on this board.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
No, he's senile because he's 87. Spent is past tense. Meaning he doesn't do it anymore. He is basically just another nobody now with a name some people remember but that doesn't make him any more informed than any one else on this board.
I think google is your friend. Gil hosts late hits on sirius radio nfl channel 88. He is sharper than you believe that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That’s a poor characterization . The 49er championship loss is remembered for the Catch.

The fumble on the ensuing possession with seconds running out was a last ditch effort to miraculously come back. It was unfortunate much like the interception made to end the Giants playoff game in 2007 with Romo.

It was an awful loss for the Cowboys. No doubt our best team in 80’s. But most don’t even recall Danny’s fumble while scrambling out of the pocket which was around midfield with no guarantee we get into field position for a last second FG attempt.

I’ve never heard his career defined by that play. Another poor attempt at bashing Danny.

Danny finished his career leading almost all Cowboys passing records. The ones Romo were breaking.

The 81 title game loss is remembered for The Catch and the fumble. Montana came away from that game with the reputation of being clutch, while White came away from that game with the reputation of being a choker. White never scrambled out of the pocket on that play. He dropped back, got hit and lost the football. His career was defined by mistakes and big game failures much like Romo’s. Both he and Romo had turnover issues it’s a fact! The worse the Cowboys got defensively the more White and the offense had to do. The Doomsday defense was long gone by the mid-80s. I’m not bashing White I’m telling it like it is. Against the Commanders in the 1982 NFC title game he looked scared to death. Even Dexter Manley commented that White looked scared. The Commander defense had him rattled right from the get go until they knocked him out.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Gil Brandt ranked his top five Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks, Dak Prescott was three and Tony Romo five
Legendary Gil Brandt weighs in on his former team’s quarterbacks.

• By RJ Ochoa
  • on February 19, 2020 4:30 pm
637339078.jpg.0.jpg

Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

You would be hard-pressed to find someone in the history of the world that knows more about football, and specifically the Dallas Cowboys, than Pro Football hall of Famer Gil Brandt. When Mr. Brandt speaks, people listen. He remains one of the most influential voices in the NFL community and has one of the greatest scouting eyes that the game has ever seen.

• Roger Staubach
    • Troy Aikman
    • Danny White
    • Tony Romo
Mr. Brandt has both Prescott and Romo in his top five, but the former at third and the latter at fifth.

Spots one and two are taken by Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman, respectively, and Danny White even makes an appearance at number four. It truly is fascinating that Prescott would not only outrank Romo just four seasons in, but Danny White, too. It says a lot about how impressive Dak Prescott’s career has been to this point in time.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...cks-dak-prescott-was-three-and-tony-romo-five

Let the fun begin...:cool:

:popcorn:

@PAPPYDOG do you know more and better than the great Gil Brandt? :lmao2:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The 81 title game loss is remembered for The Catch and the fumble. Montana came away from that game with the reputation of being clutch, while White came away from that game with the reputation of being a choker. White never scrambled out of the pocket on that play. He dropped back, got hit and lost the football. His career was defined by mistakes and big game failures much like Romo’s. Both he and Romo had turnover issues it’s a fact! The worse the Cowboys got defensively the more White and the offense had to do. The Doomsday defense was long gone by the mid-80s. I’m not bashing White I’m telling it like it is. Against the Commanders in the 1982 NFC title game he looked scared to death. Even Dexter Manley commented that White looked scared. The Commander defense had him rattled right from the get go until they knocked him out.
I don’t recall Danny being described as a choke artist. And your basing this other story on a hated rival in Dexter. Of course you’re bashing White.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t recall Danny being described as a choke artist. And your basing this other story on a hated rival in Dexter. Of course you’re bashing White.

You either weren’t around back then or don’t want to recall it. Maybe you’re just in denial. You’re the only one who’s taken exception to my comments about Danny White. If you’re looking for a pissing match go find someone else.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course , he’s more informed than probably every anonymous fan in this forum.

That doesn’t mean his opinions are right. I don’t agree with his assessment here . But he’s much closer to the situation than any of us are.

And if you listen to him on radio and or watched his induction into the HOF last year at age 86 you’d know he’s still sharp.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You either weren’t around back then or don’t want to recall it. You’re the only one who’s taken exception to my comments about Danny White. If you’re looking for a pissing match go find someone else.
Of course I was around. Maybe everyone hadn’t seen it . And most fans probably weren’t around.

But you have gone out of your way to piss on Danny and I’m going to bat for him. Sorry if you don’t like being challenged.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Of course I was around. Maybe everyone hadn’t seen it . And most fans probably weren’t around.

But you have gone out of your way to piss on Danny and I’m going to bat for him. Sorry if you don’t like being challenged.

I was being candid and even said he was a good QB. You’re just looking for a fight. You don’t even have your facts straight. You claimed White was scrambling out of the pocket when he fumbled which is false! Go dig up the highlight and see for yourself. :thumbup:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

You’re not doing a very good job of batting for him, he needs a pinch-hitter. His passer rating in the playoffs was 71.6. He tossed 16 INTs in the playoffs compared to 15 TDs and had 9 fumbles.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Danny White never won the Cowboys starting job he inherited it after Roger Staubach retired. He inherited a team that was only two years removed from a Super Bowl appearance. All the teams core players Drew Pearson, Tony Hill, Tony Dorsett, Randy White and several others were under 30 years old. Some try using the excuse that was an aging team he inherited which is BS! The team began to fall apart when the defense, primarily the DL began to age due to poor drafts. Everyone on the DL was in their mid-30s except for Jim Jeffcoat.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was being candid and even said he was a good QB. You’re just looking for a fight. You don’t even have your facts straight. You claimed White was scrambling out of the pocket when he fumbled which is false! Go dig up the highlight and see for yourself. :thumbup:
I’m going strictly off of memory. Those specific details aren’t important. He was moving around in the pocket. That could be described as scrambling around.

The bigger argument is the characterization you presented on Danny. And the way you appeared to describe he lost his starting role. I felt it was demeaning and didn’t accurately describe situation.

If you want to bash Danny go right ahead. But expect a confrontation.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You’re not doing a very good job of batting for him, he needs a pinch-hitter. His passer rating in the playoffs was 71.6. He tossed 16 INTs in the playoffs compared to 15 TDs and had 9 fumbles.
By passer ratings Dak and Romo are the greatest QB in Cowboy history. lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Danny White never won the Cowboys starting job he inherited it after Roger Staubach retired. He inherited a team that was only two years removed from a Super Bowl appearance. All the teams core players Drew Pearson, Tony Hill, Tony Dorsett, Randy White and several others were under 30 years old. Some try using the excuse that was an aging team he inherited which is BS! The team began to fall apart when the defense, primarily the DL began to age due to poor drafts. Everyone on the DL was in their mid-30s except for Jim Jeffcoat.
It was a championship caliber team and why we went to 3 straight championship games but it was an aging team. By 1982 it was 5 years removed from its 1977 championship title.

You appear to be attempting to present a perception we lost those championships because of Danny which I’ve never seen characterized before.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’m going strictly off of memory. Those specific details aren’t important. He was moving around in the pocket. That could be described as scrambling around.

The bigger argument is the characterization you presented on Danny. And the way you appeared to describe he lost his starting role. I felt it was demeaning and didn’t accurately describe situation.

If you want to bash Danny go right ahead. But expect a confrontation.

Your memory is bad, scroll to the very end about 2:15 mark and see for yourself. He was clearly in the pocket and the pressure came straight up the middle. He could see it coming and didn’t protect the football. White outplayed Montana for 57 minutes of that football game but when the game was on the line Montana came through and White cracked. No one but you is taking exception to anything I’ve said about White. You continue to complain about my characterization of him and that I’m bashing him because you’re looking for an argument. Confront me all you want but it’s an argument you’re not going win. :thumbup: