News: BTB: If he falls, should the Cowboys draft wide receiver Calvin Ridley in the first round?

kskboys

Reaction score
Dez doesn't make it to a quality #2?
At present, no. Potential? Sure, but potential isn't getting us anywhere. Basically, Dez's physical skillset is less than what it was. And since he used that physical skillset to succeed, his success is waning. He could become a #1 again if he'd run his routes hard.

kskboys

Reaction score
It all depends on who else is available, but in a vacuum, I'd be fine with it. Dez isn't long for this team and our other outside WRs are pretty much bums.
There's not one that I'm comfortable w/ as a starter.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I really like Ridley but i cant get over the fact that he is 24 already,so in 5 years he will almost 30 when his rookie deal expires.

Ken

Reaction score
I would be ok with this or Vea or a FS in end 1.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think Ridleys talent would certainly warrant the pick at 19 but I'm torn.

It's a premium selection for a solid #2 WR prospect on a run first team.

Obviously depends on who's on the board, but my preference would lie elsewhere.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
At present, no. Potential? Sure, but potential isn't getting us anywhere. Basically, Dez's physical skillset is less than what it was. And since he used that physical skillset to succeed, his success is waning. He could become a #1 again if he'd run his routes hard.

I'd say Dez is a #2 now. Dak really did just miss him a lot, and force balls into him as well.

But the deteriorating skills really are evident. Having the ball go through his hands and bounce off his facemask was just sad. So many times in the last few years I'm thinking "here comes that big play.... oh, I guess not".

It's not just that his physical skillset has degraded, but the physical skillsets of the competition have improved. Players get bigger, stronger, faster, more agile and in control every year. This is why Dez's drop off has been so precipitous. When you're relying on physical superiority, your arrow is going down while the competition's arrow is going up.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I really like Ridley but i cant get over the fact that he is 24 already,so in 5 years he will almost 30 when his rookie deal expires.

That is a really good point that I haven't seen anyone else mention. That's a major downside for Ridley.

And we like to draft the extra young in the first round, so that the second contract is still in their prime.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He isn't an elite receiver. DJ Moore is more refined and the better YAC player. Steve Smith type. Fits what we do.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'd say Dez is a #2 now. Dak really did just miss him a lot, and force balls into him as well.

But the deteriorating skills really are evident. Having the ball go through his hands and bounce off his facemask was just sad. So many times in the last few years I'm thinking "here comes that big play.... oh, I guess not".

It's not just that his physical skillset has degraded, but the physical skillsets of the competition have improved. Players get bigger, stronger, faster, more agile and in control every year. This is why Dez's drop off has been so precipitous. When you're relying on physical superiority, your arrow is going down while the competition's arrow is going up.

It doesn't help when you have the lowest percentage of catchable passes in the NFL in the last 2 years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't help when you have the lowest percentage of catchable passes in the NFL in the last 2 years.
When Dez runs the route incorrectly, it makes a perfect pass off target.

A QB is normally coached to just look at each receiver in his reads for a split second. Coaches constantly work on tempo with them like a band instructor with his students, especially drummers. The Cowboys had Dak stay with Dez extra long (About 3x) in an attempt to see of he could get open. That caused other problems but it was the team and Dak going All-In to give Dez more chances.

When Dez was not open in those situations, Dak usually had to get rid of the ball and would basically throw it away but would still throw to a safe spot where Dez might be able to get it but the CB could not.

For instance when the CB wss over (behind) Dez, Dak might throw it short. If Dez could react quickly there was a chance he could catch it but there was no chance the CB could go through Dez to get to the ball.

The opposite example was also true. If the CB undercut Dez near the sideline, Dak would throw high. If Dez was able to time his jump he had a small chance to catch it.

In other words Dak was throwing the ball away but was still giving Dez about a small chance to catch it.

Dak didn't really do that with other receivers.

The bottom line is that complained to just throw him the ball but he just couldn't get open despite them giving him about a 3x time advantage in Dak read progression.