News: BTB: NFL Hall of Fame: Who are the Top-5 Cowboys snubbed from HOF enshrinement?

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_10595773.0.jpg

Which Cowboys greats are unjustly waiting on a call from the Hall?

The Hall of Fame game will be played tonight between the Chicago Bears and Baltimore Ravens. Between the two teams playing, there are almost 40 Hall of Famers. The Dallas Cowboys are no stranger Canton themselves with 24 Hall of Famers in franchise history. Though there are two-dozen Cowboys immortalized, there are still quite a few out there waiting to hear their names called. Who are the Top-5 Dallas Cowboys who have been snubbed from enshrinement?

5. “Beautiful” Harvey Martin (1973-1983)

harvey_martin_dallas_cowboys_dl_image_taken_color_slide_73824076.jpg

People often forget just what a vital member of the “Doomsday Defense” Harvey Martin was.

BTB’s own Jed says: “Harvey Martin would have had 23 sacks in 1977 but the NFL didn’t credit them until 1982. That was in 14 games, as well. The Cowboys list his sack total at 114, which wasn’t surpassed until DeMarcus Ware in 2013. In his amazing 1977 season, he also had 85 tackles at defensive end. He is the only Cowboy defender to ever be honored as the Defensive Player of the Year, is a Super Bowl Co-MVP, and four-time Pro-Bowler. During Martin’s 11 seasons, the Cowboys won 72.9 percent of their games (116-43), six division titles and qualified for the playoffs 10 times. The Cowboys reached seven NFC title games and three Super Bowls. In the entire decade of the 1970’s no runner ever had 100 yards in a playoff game against the Cowboys.”
4. Everson Walls (1981-1989)

2666025.jpg.jpg

Everson Walls was a finalist for the 2018 Hall of Fame but unfortunately didn’t make the final selection process. He’s been rather vocal about his disappointment in the process though he still has guys like Rick “Goose” Gosselin fighting to make sure he isn’t forgotten.

Danny Phantom: I feel like if “The Catch” didn’t posterize Everson Walls for all eternity, then his legacy in the league would be higher. It’s so strange how one play can stand out so much. The All-Pro cornerback led the league in interceptions three times, which is only matched by Ed Reed, who is a future Hall of Famer. Walls 11 picks his rookie season is still something I find amazing. He had a remarkable start to his career with the Dallas Cowboys, recording 34 interceptions over his first five years in the league, earning four trips to the Pro Bowl. Unfortunately, the second part of his career was far less impressive, but he was able to be on a Super Bowl winning team with the New York Giants in the early ‘90s.
3. Darren Woodson (1992-2003)

1685167.jpg.jpg

Michael Sisemore: The Cowboys have been looking to replace “Woody” since he retired and have yet to find a safety of his caliber. Woody was the epitome of what an enforcer on an NFL defense is supposed to be. He could do anything you asked him to, cover a receiver, running back, play linebacker, cover tight ends, you name it. He’s a five-time Pro Bowler, three-time All-Pro, and three-time Super Bowl champion. He’s the franchise leader in tackles with a whopping 813. Woodson had 162 career starts, 23 interceptions, 12 forced fumbles, and 11 sacks. Woodson was one in a million. He was placed in the Cowboys Ring of Honor in 2015 and hopefully will make his arrival to Canton where he belongs after being snubbed again this season.
2. Lee Roy Jordan (1963-1973)

lee_roy_jordan_dominates_55.jpg

Jordan was part of the first edition of the “Doomsday Defense”, he was also part of one of the Cowboys greatest teams ever, the 1971 Dallas Cowboys. Jordan was a five-time Pro Bowler, All-Pro selection, and Super Bowl champion. All this and he’s never been added to the Pro Football Hall of Fame is another shame on the process.

Tom Ryle: Lee Roy Jordan played 14 years for the Cowboys, and when he was teamed with Chuck Howley and Dave Edwards, was considered part of the best linebacking unit in the NFL. Among his many highlights was a team record 21 tackles against the Philadelphia Eagles in 1971, and against the Cincinnati Bengals in 1973, he intercepted three passes. In the first quarter. In five minutes’ time.
1. Chuck Howley (1958-1973)

167959800_612x612.jpg

It’s unthinkable that Chuck Howley hasn’t long been enshrined into the Hall of Fame. He started 161 of 165 games as a Dallas Cowboy. Howley was a Pro Bowl selection six times and in five straight years from 1965-1969. He was an All-Pro selection five-straight years as well from 1966-1970. Howley was an integral part of the Cowboys first Super Bowl championship team but that’s not all.

RJ Ochoa says: Chuck Howley is the only Super Bowl MVP to come from the game’s losing team. His career resume speaks for itself, but on top of that he has a distinction about him that literally nobody ever has in the entire history of professional football. The game’s greatest museum should honor those efforts.

Continue reading...

Xelda

Reaction score
I agree as well. Criminal charges should be filed if none of them make it. I'd like to add Jay Novacek to the list.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
WR Drew Pearson
OL either Niland or Nealy, I get them mixed up
DE Harvey Martin
LB Chuck Howley
LB Lee Roy Jordan
CB Cornell Green
CB Everson Walls
S Cliff Harris
S Darren Woodson

cowboyec

Reaction score
I agree with that list.
Id add
OL Ralph Neely...all-decade team of the 60s.
DB Cornell Green
DB Cliff Harris
WR Drew Pearson
DE Ed"too tall"Jones

and Id argue for
QB Don Meredith
RB Don Perkins
OL John Niland...6x pro-bowler.
OG Herb Scott
OT Pat Donovan...4x pro-bowler...never missed a game in 9 seasons.
RB Herschel Walker...18,168 career combined yards.
OL Nate Newton
TE Jay Novacek
FB Daryl Johnston
DT Russell Maryland

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Do love those uniforms that Harvey has on, 2nd favorite blue uniforms after the one's with the darker pants worn in the late 60's and early 70's like in the SB lost to the Colts.

robjay04

Reaction score
I agree as well. Criminal charges should be filed if none of them make it. I'd like to add Jay Novacek to the list.

I highly doubt Jay ever makes the Hall.

Only 8 tight ends in the league and several from this generation will surely make it and you could argue several tight ends that are not in now are more deserving than Jay.

Xelda

Reaction score
I highly doubt Jay ever makes the Hall.

Only 8 tight ends in the league and several from this generation will surely make it and you could argue several tight ends that are not in now are more deserving than Jay.
I agree with you but as a life long Cowboys fan, I'll never admit it.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I think there are several Cowboys long over due. Seems like they are punished for losing to the Packers in championship games and the Steelers in SBs. I’d like to see Gil go in he had a big hand in drafting a lot of these players. I think he is more deserving than the GM who went in this year.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I think there are several Cowboys long over due. Seems like they are punished for losing to the Packers in championship games and the Steelers in SBs. I’d like to see Gil go in he had a big hand in drafting a lot of these players. I think he is more deserving than the GM who went in this year.

That lost to the cheeseheads and 2 losses to stealers hurt very much. I had never seen Tom Landry ever make facial expressions till the drop pass by Jerry Smith. As a Cardinal and even when he came over he was pretty much money till then, and it was very costly. Where was Bill Joe Dupree on that play?