News: BTB: Rico Gathers looks to be working on his route running ahead of training camp

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_10890631.0.jpg

What about his blocking, though?

We’re just about two weeks away from the Dallas Cowboys arriving in Oxnard for training camp.

There’s a lot to be determined under the bright California sun, namely roster spots. With a few faces of the franchise gone, things are going to be shaken up quite a bit at certain positions.

One spot that highlights this idea is tight end. Jason Witten is now retired which means the tight end spots is wide open. When you bring this up with fellow Cowboys fans the responses are all over the place. Some people believe in the veteran Geoff Swaim. Others prefer the two-year player Blake Jarwin. There’s a contingency that is talking themselves into rookie Dalton Schlutz being the guy. The most relentless group though are the Rico Gathers supporters.

Rico is a question mark on the 53 right now

Gathers is entering his third season with the Cowboys and he has yet to “actually” make the 53-man roster. He spent his first year on the practice squad and spent last year on injured reserve due to an injury.

As of now, it’s honestly a question for Rico to be on the Cowboys 53-man roster. Just a few days ago here at BTB we put out eight different roster predictions, and only half of our writers had Rico on their squad.

Screen_Shot_2018_07_10_at_7.39.53_PM.png

Gathers has been working on his route running

One of the renowned gurus in the world of route running is David Robinson. Back in March we talked about how Dez Bryant was going to work with him over the offseason (he ultimately did a bit), but that is kind of something that doesn’t pertain to us anymore.

Rico has been working with David Robinson and posted some videos of his progress. You be the judge.

Cowboys tight end Rico Gathers is working with route guru @drobalwaysopen pic.twitter.com/Ljw1oUnxem

— Blogging The Boys (@BloggingTheBoys) July 10, 2018

Training camp is only a few weeks away pic.twitter.com/TfoHTMG0Hj

How well Rico Gathers run routes is going to define his fate during training camp and preseason. What do you see? pic.twitter.com/PC66ReAAKD

This is great, but how Rico performs in the run game will matter more

Jason Garrett has been clear when it comes to Rico Gathers. Dallas Cowboys tight ends need to be able to do more than excel in the passing game, they have to be blockers as well.

This isn’t meant to be a knock against Rico for working on his craft. He should be doing this. It’s fantastic that he is. The reality on top of it all though is that he’s already shown what he can do in this aspect and the Cowboys want to see him block better.

Jason Garrett says he believes Rico Gathers' understanding of the passing game is better than his understanding of the running game.

— RJ Ochoa (@rjochoa) May 30, 2018

Garrett notes that Rico Gathers has made "a lot" of progress. Says his position is not an easy one, that he's significant in the running game and deeply involved in all aspects of the game. Notes some (route running, pass-catching) comes easy to him.

— RJ Ochoa (@rjochoa) June 12, 2018

We know Rico Gathers is a physically dominant vertical weapon in the passing game. No one has denied this. What we don’t know is how great of a run-blocker Rico is, and that’s likely going to be the difference-maker come cut time.

Continue reading...

waving monkey

Reaction score

We’re just about two weeks away from the Dallas Cowboys arriving in Oxnard for training camp.

There’s a lot to be determined under the bright California sun, namely roster spots. With a few faces of the franchise gone, things are going to be shaken up quite a bit at certain positions.

One spot that highlights this idea is tight end. Jason Witten is now retired which means the tight end spots is wide open. When you bring this up with fellow Cowboys fans the responses are all over the place. Some people believe in the veteran Geoff Swaim. Others prefer the two-year player Blake Jarwin. There’s a contingency that is talking themselves into rookie Dalton Schlutz being the guy. The most relentless group though are the Rico Gathers supporters.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...g-on-his-route-running-ahead-of-training-camp

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...g-on-his-route-running-ahead-of-training-camp
Better late than ever!!
Rico, Rico, Rico, Rico!

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Are we keeping 3 or 4 te's? Dont see him making it if we keep 3.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Rico is going to be a BEAST TE once he gets it all (pass catching & run blocking) down. It looks like he's getting close. With his size, ability and determination, he can become a huge weapon. I would not risk putting him on the practice squad once again. Someone will snatch him up this time and reap the benefits.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If he gets the passing game he makes the team. He can learn to block OTJ.
I have never truly understood the stern stance this staff takes with TEs and blocking being such a priority.
Most of your top TEs in this league are successful because they catch first, good hands, large frames, mismatches.
But blocking first on a team that already has a superior OL has always seemed to be a rather out dated philosophy to me personally.
Rico needs starting reps, that's been his issue.
Is it really going to make that big of a difference considering the depth/or lack of, at TE on this team, if we actually see what Rico can do with a few starts this season?

Last edited:

dwreck27

Reaction score
If Rico turns out to be a pass catching, chain moving juggernaut, I would be willing to overlook blocking deficiencies.

Gonna be tough when the team is a run first dominant team who likes to use the passing game to keep the defense honest enough not to over sell on the run

Rico is talented... but solely working on only the passing game and not pass blocking will have him as a casualty when things get tough

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I have never truly understood the stern stance this staff takes with TEs and blocking being such a priority.
Most of your top TEs in this league are successful because they catch first, good hands, large frames, mismatches.
But blocking first on a team that already has a superior OL has always seemed to be a rather out dated philosophy to me personally.
Is it really going to make that big of a difference considering the depth/or lack of, at TE on this team, if we actually see what Rico can do with a few starts this season?

Better said than I.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I have observed that most people do what the company they work for requests. The Cowboys want their tight ends to be able to block or just like with any other job fulfill the job duties or look for work else where

waving monkey

Reaction score
second level blocking I think

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Rico turns out to be a pass catching, chain moving juggernaut, I would be willing to overlook blocking deficiencies.

I agree. And the Cowboys should too. Just not anything that would get your quarterback hurt.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
let's go ahead and sign him for 100 million for 5 years, then we won't have to hide him on IR................

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Because we rely on the TE to seal off the edge in the run game. If all Dallas was going to do is run the TE out in passing then hell keep an extra WR and run 3 and 4 wideouts, you don't need a TE.