News: BTB: Rico Gathers looks to be working on his route running ahead of training camp

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is only so much he can work on his blocking in shorts and no pads, but he can work on his route running in the meantime.

Plankton

Reaction score
I have never truly understood the stern stance this staff takes with TEs and blocking being such a priority.
Most of your top TEs in this league are successful because they catch first, good hands, large frames, mismatches.
But blocking first on a team that already has a superior OL has always seemed to be a rather out dated philosophy to me personally.
Rico needs starting reps, that's been his issue.
Is it really going to make that big of a difference considering the depth/or lack of, at TE on this team, if we actually see what Rico can do with a few starts this season?

It makes a big difference. Having a guy that is adept at blocking as well as pass catching allows the offense much more flexibility and an ability to disguise play calling/intentions based on the personnel left on the field. If your TE has the ability to play inline as a blocker and sit down in a zone on passing downs, you can run 11 personnel and still get favorable run looks, as well as keeping the defense on their toes.

It's why I prefer running backs like David Johnson or Elliott who are strong at running, blocking and receiving - their presence on the field does nothing to tip off what kind of play you are running. It opens up the entire playbook for the offense.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He better block his butt off in preseason games. Catching passes isn’t his problems, but I think after the message about our WR not running good routes coming out and brought in a guru that all receivers want to run good routes. They should have asked or begged Witten to come around and teach the TE. He was always open.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What about his blocking, though?

We’re just about two weeks away from the Dallas Cowboys arriving in Oxnard for training camp.

There’s a lot to be determined under the bright California sun, namely roster spots. With a few faces of the franchise gone, things are going to be shaken up quite a bit at certain positions.

One spot that highlights this idea is tight end. Jason Witten is now retired which means the tight end spots is wide open. When you bring this up with fellow Cowboys fans the responses are all over the place. Some people believe in the veteran Geoff Swaim. Others prefer the two-year player Blake Jarwin. There’s a contingency that is talking themselves into rookie Dalton Schlutz being the guy. The most relentless group though are the Rico Gathers supporters.

Rico is a question mark on the 53 right now

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...g-on-his-route-running-ahead-of-training-camp

His blocking issues are all mental. He has more than enough physical ability to block. He showed excellent power as a blocker last preseason. His issue was mistakes. Blocking the wrong player, block the wrong direction, etc..

Example
I remember a couple of plays that were inside runs where he overpowered the defender but pushed the defender right into the RBs intended path.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is only so much he can work on his blocking in shorts and no pads, but he can work on his route running in the meantime.

The film room is where he can best work on his blocking. His blocking issues are mental, not physical. He made too many mistakes last preseason.

I'm certain that in 1-on-1 run blocking drills he is likely very good. Maybe better than the other TEs on the roster.

This is not an Escobar situation where he just physically couldn't block well enough.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The film room is where he can best work on his blocking. His blocking issues are mental, not physical. He made too many mistakes last preseason.

I'm certain that in 1-on-1 run blocking drills he is likely very good. Maybe better than the other TEs on the roster.

This is not an Escobar situation where he just physically couldn't block well enough.
Seems like a problem he should have worked out. Him in the passing game looked like he was ready for the field. I didn’t pay much attention to the blocking he did or didn’t do but the staff must have seen some major red flags to pull the plug. He made some good plays but if he is a blocking liability then he would be a situational player at best and we can’t afford that at TE.

dallasdave

Reaction score
usa_today_10890631.0.jpg

What about his blocking, though?

We’re just about two weeks away from the Dallas Cowboys arriving in Oxnard for training camp.

There’s a lot to be determined under the bright California sun, namely roster spots. With a few faces of the franchise gone, things are going to be shaken up quite a bit at certain positions.

One spot that highlights this idea is tight end. Jason Witten is now retired which means the tight end spots is wide open. When you bring this up with fellow Cowboys fans the responses are all over the place. Some people believe in the veteran Geoff Swaim. Others prefer the two-year player Blake Jarwin. There’s a contingency that is talking themselves into rookie Dalton Schlutz being the guy. The most relentless group though are the Rico Gathers supporters.

Rico is a question mark on the 53 right now

Gathers is entering his third season with the Cowboys and he has yet to “actually” make the 53-man roster. He spent his first year on the practice squad and spent last year on injured reserve due to an injury.

As of now, it’s honestly a question for Rico to be on the Cowboys 53-man roster. Just a few days ago here at BTB we put out eight different roster predictions, and only half of our writers had Rico on their squad.

Screen_Shot_2018_07_10_at_7.39.53_PM.png

Gathers has been working on his route running

One of the renowned gurus in the world of route running is David Robinson. Back in March we talked about how Dez Bryant was going to work with him over the offseason (he ultimately did a bit), but that is kind of something that doesn’t pertain to us anymore.

Rico has been working with David Robinson and posted some videos of his progress. You be the judge.

Cowboys tight end Rico Gathers is working with route guru @drobalwaysopen pic.twitter.com/Ljw1oUnxem

— Blogging The Boys (@BloggingTheBoys) July 10, 2018

Training camp is only a few weeks away pic.twitter.com/TfoHTMG0Hj

How well Rico Gathers run routes is going to define his fate during training camp and preseason. What do you see? pic.twitter.com/PC66ReAAKD

This is great, but how Rico performs in the run game will matter more

Jason Garrett has been clear when it comes to Rico Gathers. Dallas Cowboys tight ends need to be able to do more than excel in the passing game, they have to be blockers as well.

This isn’t meant to be a knock against Rico for working on his craft. He should be doing this. It’s fantastic that he is. The reality on top of it all though is that he’s already shown what he can do in this aspect and the Cowboys want to see him block better.

Jason Garrett says he believes Rico Gathers' understanding of the passing game is better than his understanding of the running game.

— RJ Ochoa (@rjochoa) May 30, 2018

Garrett notes that Rico Gathers has made "a lot" of progress. Says his position is not an easy one, that he's significant in the running game and deeply involved in all aspects of the game. Notes some (route running, pass-catching) comes easy to him.

— RJ Ochoa (@rjochoa) June 12, 2018

We know Rico Gathers is a physically dominant vertical weapon in the passing game. No one has denied this. What we don’t know is how great of a run-blocker Rico is, and that’s likely going to be the difference-maker come cut time.

Continue reading...
Great post Newsbot, glad to see al the work Rico is putting in.

Reaction score
I have been a huge Rico optimist, but I don't see how he makes the team unless he absolutely explodes in preseason in the passing game.

We're going to keep 3 TEs. Swaim is the only vet with any experience, Jarwin they liked enough to not let Philly take him off the PS, and Schultz was a high enough draft pick he's going to get a shot by default. Rico is definitely on the bubble going into camp. It's put up time for him this preseason for sure.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like a problem he should have worked out. Him in the passing game looked like he was ready for the field. I didn’t pay much attention to the blocking he did or didn’t do but the staff must have seen some major red flags to pull the plug. He made some good plays but if he is a blocking liability then he would be a situational player at best and we can’t afford that at TE.

If he focuses on blocking then he should be able to learn. They would likely be OK if he can just do what MartyB did here. They only used MartyB as an Inline blocker and didn't use him on the more complicated H-Back, FB and other move-TE roles. They replaced MartyB with the far physically inferior John Phillips for all move-TE requirements or had Witten do the move-TE stuff with MartyB remaining Inline.

If Rico is like a 5 year old that thinks being an Astronaut is super cool without realizing all of the education/training/accomplishments that go into becoming an Astronaut, then he will fail.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If he focuses on blocking then he should be able to learn. They would likely be OK if he can just do what MartyB did here. They only used MartyB as an Inline blocker and didn't use him on the more complicated H-Back, FB and other move-TE roles. They replaced MartyB with the far physically inferior John Phillips for all move-TE requirements or had Witten do the move-TE stuff with MartyB remaining Inline.

If Rico is like a 5 year old that thinks being an Astronaut is super cool without realizing all of the education/training/accomplishments that go into becoming an Astronaut, then he will fail.
They have given him a lot of time to learn. If he blocks then he makes the team. He is a beast to bring down and had great talent.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Because we rely on the TE to seal off the edge in the run game. If all Dallas was going to do is run the TE out in passing then hell keep an extra WR and run 3 and 4 wideouts, you don't need a TE.
I get that, but what I am saying is that we don't have a Gronk on this roster.
Swaim
Jarwin
Wells
Schultz
Unless we try and trade for a Vet TE, that can meet the criteria of blocking first, and then hands, why not Rico?
I would love to see any of the above totally blow up camp, and prove that they are so deserving, but that rarely ever happens,, just ask yourself this question...
If you were Dak, and saw a massive target like Rico getting open in the red zone, and he
had proven to you that at the very least, was a reliable target there,,, wouldn't Rico be worthy of a roster spot?

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
I still want to believe in this guy but at this point, I am running out of hope.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I get that, but what I am saying is that we don't have a Gronk on this roster.
Swaim
Jarwin
Wells
Schultz
Unless we try and trade for a Vet TE, that can meet the criteria of blocking first, and then hands, why not Rico?

I think the Cowboys want all of their TE with the ability to come in and do the job. I don't think Rico has to be a devastating blocker, I think he has to show enough ability in blocking to allow the Cowboys to run their offense. Say we keep 2 TE if the starter goes down Dallas needs the next guy to come in and perform the job not alter the offense because he is incapable. Having said that I have not given up on Rico, I think if he can show a lot in terms of his rout running and making plays he very well could get by with being a decent blocker.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lots of teams figure out how to use a pass catching TE

I tend to agree. Take a guy like Zach Ertz in Philly. He wasn't a great blocker (still really isn't great) but Philly found ways to use him regardless.

Now, admittedly, we don't even know if Rico can be a consistent pass catching threat (needs work on routes, etc). But if he is and the staff can't find ways to use him while limiting his blocking exposure, that's a failure on them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Lots of teams figure out how to use a pass catching TE

a lot of teams are built more around the passing game. Dallas want players who fit into their scheme. Blocking for the run, at times staying in to protect. I don't think Rico has to show himself as great blocker but I think he has to show the ability to do the job that is asked of our TE

conner01

Reaction score
His blocking issues are all mental. He has more than enough physical ability to block. He showed excellent power as a blocker last preseason. His issue was mistakes. Blocking the wrong player, block the wrong direction, etc..

Example
I remember a couple of plays that were inside runs where he overpowered the defender but pushed the defender right into the RBs intended path.
I agree
Physically he can block. Knowing who and where to block is probably what he has to learn

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have given him a lot of time to learn. If he blocks then he makes the team. He is a beast to bring down and had great talent.
Yes, he has been with the team quite a while now; alrhough he didn't get any practice time last season.

I think it will be obvious in the 1st preseason game; although it will require reviewing his blocking snaps in detail.

They should just use him as a blocker in the first two preseason games just to emphasize the importance of it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I tend to agree. Take a guy like Zach Ertz in Philly. He wasn't a great blocker (still really isn't great) but Philly found ways to use him regardless.

Now, admittedly, we don't even know if Rico can be a consistent pass catching threat (needs work on routes, etc). But if he is and the staff can't find ways to use him while limiting his blocking exposure, that's a failure on them.

As you said we don't really know about consistent pass catching threat. Is Rico ability as a pass catcher going to be any greater than Swaim, Jarwin or Schultz? If he is not any better than these guys at pass catching and is a lesser blocker then why would Dallas release one of them who are known as good blockers?