News: BTB: Six Veteran Players The Cowboys Could Unexpectedly Cut This Year

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
The only one I really disagree with is Hitch and Wilson. You haven't really seen Wilson yet and Hitch showed you he can play. You don't just cut guys like that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They didn't guarantee Morris 1.8m to cut him without taking a hand-off.....you cut vets to save money and cap space, not to waste it......

I don't think he gets cut but if Morris would be cut it wouldn't be to save money......it would be tO dedicate that roster spot to another position.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I try to take BTB seriously... I really do.

I just can't. I'm sorry.

The site is just chock full of good intentions, I know, but...

conner01

Reaction score
I 'd cut

Gavin Escobar
Lance Dunbar
Brice Butler
Lucky Whitehead

go with Andy Jones and go with the young WR'S we have

Lucky is a young reciever who is also a good return guy

ksadler1

Reaction score
The only cut that would bother me is Morris, although I like Butler too. Morris is a proven NFL RB and I think he's going to be valuable in our system. As much as this team will rely on the run this year, someone will miss some time. Dunbar has already shown he can't stay healthy. If anyone needs to go, it's him.....

ccb04

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how things unfold. Some thoughts as of now.....

WR: Street should be the first 'vet' up for cut consideration. Whitehead would certainly be helped by retaining his return role. The one thing that could hamper Butler would be injuries, as he missed quite a bit of time last season. But if healthy, it's been reported that he was apparently developing a decent chemistry with Romo, and he also offers a nice size/speed combo. Jones is a guy to watch, but we'll have to see how he looks when the pads come on.

LB: IMO there's too much instability here to cut many (if any), vet players...particularly versatile one's like Hitchens. It would perhaps be feasible if another vet were brought in to take their place. I like King as a sleeper sort, but unless he stands out from the beginning of training camp to the end of preseason, he's more than likely a fairly strong candidate for the practice squad.

RB: they kept 5 backs (which included a FB), to start the 2015 season. Given injuries, etc...I believe they'll do the same again. I think it could shake out this way: Zeke, Morris, DMC, Dunbar (may begin the season on PUP), Rod Smith ... Jackson = practice squad. Jackson is a potential wildcard. If he consistently impresses through camp & preseason (to include ST's), then perhaps DMC or Dunbar is let go. Why I say those two? They had to alter their scheme for McFadden to be most effective...he's in the final year of his deal & wouldn't cost too much to part with...and he has a history of injury. Dunbar has been plagued by injuries & is more of a niche player. In terms of special teams, either in a regular return role seems dicey at best. Why I don't think it would be Morris: he's done his best work in a zone blocking scheme...he hasn't missed a game in his career...he's on a deal that guarantee's him $1.8 mil. Rod Smith could contribute at FB, on ST's, and at RB in a pinch, in addition to mentoring his younger brother. As far as Jackson, even if starting out on the practice squad, injuries could see him called up...and if he develops & consistently shows something, both McFadden & Dunbar will be unrestricted free agents at seasons end, which is another reason (aside from his traits, injury uncertainties, etc.), why I think Jackson was selected.

TE: the coaching staff seems willing to involve a 2nd TE in terms of blocking, but not as much in the passing game. Escobar's blocking seemingly isn't what they'd prefer in that role. Not sure how much of his lack of overall development is on him and how much is on the staff? That said, if going with 4 on the 53, it could be Witten, Hanna, Escobar (if healthy), & Swaim. Gathers has a ways to go, and could be a PS candidate if they're comfortable he may not get plucked off the squad with 26 teams attending his workout. It'll be interesting to watch Rico's development and see how quickly he acclimates & picks things up. Stephen Jones mentioned that they'd consider Gathers at DE if things didn't work out at TE. It would seem that one of the young guys or a potential addition from cuts, etc...would have to step up for Escobar to be pushed off the roster in the final year of his rookie deal. A setback or lingering affects from his injury could potentially play a role as well.

Last edited:

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Pointless list. They back it by saying if player X should have a bad training camp and Player Y has a good camp then Player X might lose his roster spot. That goes for any player any year.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I try to take BTB seriously... I really do.

I just can't. I'm sorry.

The site is just chock full of good intentions, I know, but...

Too many good intentions. Optimism is great, they go to far

There issue is they have feel they need X amount of writers so they promote too often from the comment sections.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't have Street listed. I think he's the top cut candidate.

Lucky Whitehead is not going anywhere. He has a speed dimension this team sorely needs. Besides, with EZE and Bryant on the field commanding attention, which how we get the ball into his hands and then let him take off.

I can see Escobar getting cut as he just hasn't panned out, and he's had enough time.
I don't think they let Wilson go just yet. He's only in his second year.

They're not letting Morris go either. He's going to spell EZE. Both Dunbar and McFadden are change-of-pace backs who are better receivers. They're not going to grind out the tough yards to preserve the lead and a victory.

So my likely cuts would be:

Street
Escobar
Dunbar

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Who's the kick returner if Whitehead is cut? Beasley? really?

Gachkar beating out Hitchens? not.

Darius Jackson is being mentioned as a possible threat to unseat to Whitehead but it won't be easy to outdo him for anyone attempting it. Jackson has excellent speed and is considered a talented prospect despite his late round acquisition. Nevertheless, Whitehead's talent as a return man should be extremely tough to beat.

Satchel89

Reaction score
Cole Beasley is one of my favorites but he's terrible at returning punts. He shouldn't of been doing it. I just don't understand why this team couldn't find a way to use Escobar more. We all know he doesn't block but who cares. Find a way to throw him the ball but I have to agree unfortunately that he's got a good shot at getting cut