BTB: Stephen Jones says they will not work on Dak's extension until training camp

Landryhat73

Reaction score
The Cowboys just paid Dak $5 million dollars today. They’re keeping him. They have to pay Lance $4.5 million five days after camp opens in July. They might be keeping him. I wouldn’t bet on it.
Does paying the $5 million make it more likely or less likely Dak will be extended? Read it can’t be converted once it’s paid.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Not totally against that plan but it wont be this year.
And you will do it with 2 guys wanting to be paid at the highest of their positions when you do try to find a replacement.
And lost a top 10 QB for a R3 comp pick.
Its bad all the way around.

A bunch of people have convinced themselves there is some easy road here. There isn't.

Dak has a higher win % than either Romo or Aikman. Calling him a stat padder is just dumb.
He just hasn't been good enough to win in the biggest moments. but he's also NEVER had the best team around him.
Good teams. Good enough win more in the playoffs than he has but never had SB talent.
The front office has been very conservative in talent acquisition.

And yes QB money has gotten crazy.
But there are 20 NFL teams starting far worse players.

Of the last 50 QBs drafted 1 is clearly better than Dak: Joe Burrow.
A small handful are as good or could develop into better: CJ Stroud, Jordan Love, Jalen Hurts.
Most of the rest are already bounced by the teams who drafted them or have supremely lost the shine of 1 overall like Kyler and Trevor.

A QB journey may take 2 or 3 swings and 3 or 4 seasons.
Be real with yourself about that.
It is kind of convenient that you go back the last 50 QBs, because the draft class the year before #50 was Lamar, Josh Allen, Mahomes in 2017. Why not just go all the way back to 2016?

It's not just "biggest moments" with Dak; it's against squads with winning records, especially on the road. He's been successful in his country club atmosphere at AT&T Stadium but when he gets raddled on the road he's almost uncompetitive; it's hard to watch and frankly embarrassing.

I'm okay with at least TRYING to find another guy, even if they keep drafting a QB every year in the mid rounds. I don't see much difference with Prescott and players like Cousins, Goff, Hurts, etcetera. Wait until Dak leaves and heads to another team; he won't be able to hold a starting job for long. The FO has done a good job of giving him a GOOD ENOUGH team with the cap number he has. When your defense gives up 19 points in the playoffs vs SF, you should win that game 8/10 times. Prescott was atrocious and embarrassing. He was embarrassing against Green Bay and against Miami and Buffalo this year. He doesn't play well against the competitive teams in the league, and it always catches up to the Cowboys in the playoffs.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
I’m ready to start over and have some top 10 draft picks. No guarantee we can replace Dak, but I’ll take my chances.
I am ready to start over also. Listening to Fox Sports radio today about quarterbacks. He said Dak Prescott and/or Tony Romo were good enough to make the playoffs but neither quarterback knows how to cross the finish line. Translation: win playoff games and make it to the Super Bowl.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The rubber is going to eventually meet the road here. Either Jerry will cave and pay whatever Dak asks (which, I concede is a possibility) or the Cowboys will decide that Dak’s demands are too high to build a team around the bus driver that Dak is.

I can’t tell you which one it will be. And the people saying that the Cowboys will eventually pay Dak whatever he wants may ultimately turn out to be right. I just think that the Cowboys are actively evaluating moving on from Dak.

In the end I think Dak will cut his own throat so to speak by demanding too much of the salary cap. Dak’s new contract should be more in line with Cousins than a market setter.
It’s brutal to watch this play out. A FO that thinks it’s smarter than it is vs a QB that thinks he’s better than he is lol

They truly deserve each other lol

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I hope Jerry can find the half a billion that dak deserves, if he does, I hope Jerry hires nothing but scrub from everybody's 53-man cut-down. Those guys would play for peanuts and would work hard. Get it done Jerry. Half a billion is nothing, get it done Jer.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Also, to more directly respond to your post, I am not disputing that Dak would probably get a market setting deal from another team. I am just somewhat skeptical that it will be the Cowboys that pay it.
The FO has set up 2024 for failure for fear of the cap situation in 2025

Too many big contracts to give out and they are paralyzed into inactivity.

Dak’s contract is the biggest problem in the room— but far from the only one. What do you do with Micah and CeeDee?

And more to the point— you have had all these core players together for a few years already and have nothing to show for it. You could pay them all and just end up paying a whole lot more for the same nothing you are getting right now

This is the problem with their draft and develop approach. When it succeeds and you draft good players— you can’t pay them all— so you end up developing them for somebody else.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
The FO has set up 2024 for failure for fear of the cap situation in 2025

Too many big contracts to give out and they are paralyzed into inactivity.

Dak’s contract is the biggest problem in the room— but far from the only one. What do you do with Micah and CeeDee?

And more to the point— you have had all these core players together for a few years already and have nothing to show for it. You could pay them all and just end up paying a whole lot more for the same nothing you are getting right now

This is the problem with their draft and develop approach. When it succeeds and you draft good players— you can’t pay them all— so you end up developing them for somebody else.
Jerry Jones "All in Rebuild for 2024", Can Dump Dak if he does not perform in 2024 and move forward. Two new starters on offensive line. Dak, Micah and Diggs want to be paid big time, show me the money. Someone is going to be disappointed