BTB: Stephen Jones says they will not work on Dak's extension until training camp

Verdict

Reaction score
:hammer:

Yeah, the idea that the Cowboys are playing hardball is just ridiculous, Dak has all the leverage here because, like you said, he is fixing to be a free agent and can negotiate with all 32 teams with no compensation required.

Its like an auction, the more bidders you have for an item, the higher the price typically goes. This is especially true if supply and demand mechanism is involved (the demand for the item for exceeds the supply of the item).

There are only about 12-15 "starting caliber" Qbs in the NFL and there is a reason you never see any of these guys hit free agency, see above. That is how a broke down 35 yr old QB coming off an Achilles tear gets $180 million.
There are only a few jobs in the NFL where a QB can make as much endorsement money as Dak can make as the QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I don’t believe Dak has all the leverage. Using your logic, Dak has always had a blank check to demand whatever he wanted from the Cowboys.

If the Cowboys are unwilling to cave to Dak’s demands the Cowboys have options. They can let Dak walk in free agency or they can put pressure on Dak to waive his no trade clause by benching him.

That is of course somewhat of a nuclear option with fallout for the Cowboys too, but make no mistake, Dak does not want that to happen.
If Dak hit the streets, he would land another huge contract from a QB starved team.

While it’s true that the Cowboys can refuse to sign him longterm and let him walk after 2024, it is most definitely a nuclear option.

That is not “leverage”. That is an admission of failure and cutting bait with the guy they have (to this point) only declared to be a SB worthy signal caller.

IMO— Dak is calling all the shots, and Stephen is trying to look tough. I can’t imagine this team winning the East this year. This looks like an 8 or 9 win campaign and lots more transition next year

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
They'd be burning a year to get Dak on a cheaper contract.

But if we're so eager to get Dak signed, why are we willing to burn a precious year of Dak to do it?

I'm surprised, but I think they're trying to move on from Dak and doing everything they can to get Dak to demand a trade this year.
This is an interesting thought and actually makes a whole lot of sense.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Dak to demand a trade this offseason or by TDL next year or next offseason?

I can see the "All In" comment as the Cowboys playing poker with Dak...and willing to gut the team in a rebuild to get him to request a trade.

But...wouldnt that mean they have already tried to trade him and he refused to wave the NTC? Could explain the Tad tweet about Philly being best FO(assuming that was a true tweet). And...now you have Dak being wrapped up in a sexual misconduct case?

Weird timing and coincidences.

Verdict

Reaction score
If Dak hit the streets, he would land another huge contract from a QB starved team.

While it’s true that the Cowboys can refuse to sign him longterm and let him walk after 2024, it is most definitely a nuclear option.

That is not “leverage”. That is an admission of failure and cutting bait with the guy they have (to this point) only declared to be a SB worthy signal caller.

IMO— Dak is calling all the shots, and Stephen is trying to look tough. I can’t imagine this team winning the East this year. This looks like an 8 or 9 win campaign and lots more transition next year
The rubber is going to eventually meet the road here. Either Jerry will cave and pay whatever Dak asks (which, I concede is a possibility) or the Cowboys will decide that Dak’s demands are too high to build a team around the bus driver that Dak is.

I can’t tell you which one it will be. And the people saying that the Cowboys will eventually pay Dak whatever he wants may ultimately turn out to be right. I just think that the Cowboys are actively evaluating moving on from Dak.

In the end I think Dak will cut his own throat so to speak by demanding too much of the salary cap. Dak’s new contract should be more in line with Cousins than a market setter.

Verdict

Reaction score

Also, to more directly respond to your post, I am not disputing that Dak would probably get a market setting deal from another team. I am just somewhat skeptical that it will be the Cowboys that pay it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Oh no! There are no other QBs we can pursue! Jerry is the kind of GM that would’ve signed Nick Foles to a 7 year deal after he won SB MVP in 2018. A smart front office knows when to fricking move on and find their next guy. MOVE ON FROM STAT PADDER.
Not totally against that plan but it wont be this year.
And you will do it with 2 guys wanting to be paid at the highest of their positions when you do try to find a replacement.
And lost a top 10 QB for a R3 comp pick.
Its bad all the way around.

A bunch of people have convinced themselves there is some easy road here. There isn't.

Dak has a higher win % than either Romo or Aikman. Calling him a stat padder is just dumb.
He just hasn't been good enough to win in the biggest moments. but he's also NEVER had the best team around him.
Good teams. Good enough win more in the playoffs than he has but never had SB talent.
The front office has been very conservative in talent acquisition.

And yes QB money has gotten crazy.
But there are 20 NFL teams starting far worse players.

Of the last 50 QBs drafted 1 is clearly better than Dak: Joe Burrow.
A small handful are as good or could develop into better: CJ Stroud, Jordan Love, Jalen Hurts.
Most of the rest are already bounced by the teams who drafted them or have supremely lost the shine of 1 overall like Kyler and Trevor.

A QB journey may take 2 or 3 swings and 3 or 4 seasons.
Be real with yourself about that.

plymkr

Reaction score
A better team and Lance could very well be better than a lesser team and Dak.
I completely agree. A better team in the trenches with Lance or Cooper would have gone farther than a WC loss.

Me personally I don’t see any difference in a WC loss and not making the playoffs. So why settle for a guy that doesn’t perform in the playoffs.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Also, to more directly respond to your post, I am not disputing that Dak would probably get a market setting deal from another team. I am just somewhat skeptical that it will be the Cowboys that pay it.
If the Cowboys plan is to let him hit URFA then it may well be a go get your best offer and let us match type situation.
Jerry and Dallas are famous for this move.

Agents hate it because it burns their credibility with the team they get the offer from.
See Randy and Denver. And the twitter beef.

But whatever happens the person who loses least is Dak.
He gets a great offer in Dallas or his pick of spots around the league with those teams having an entire year knowing he will be a free agent to plan/tamper.

Not a great situation for Dallas. Pay a mega fortune or accept a future R3.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You just wonder if they haven't done it by then whether a huge preseason from Trey Lance could change their thinking.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
How many QBs show Elite traits and win early?

The NFL QB is heading towards sports GM level "prove it or lose it" status.

A lot of quality players will get the curb for honey-mooner's who dont meet long term expectations because of short term success.

Im hoping GM's dont fall for the couch-GM metrics of "win a Super Bowl or lose your job to a rookie contract".

Just as the QB salary might be inflated...so is the anti-QB-salary crowds expectations for a QB.

This board seems to be pro-fundamentalism(free markets) yet hates free market QB salary and wants to avoid talking about the pressures that lead to the current QB salary in a Free Market system.

Makes no sense.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
my money is own dak playing the whole preseason and we don't get to see Trey. Fear is a terrible thing.

bewp7

Reaction score
o i wonder how this will go

o wait i do know

dak “ok ill just hold out”

stephen and jerry “ok here is $300,000,000 full guranteed, no trade, unlimited louis vuitton girl purses, what ever else greedy dak want”

Flamma

Reaction score
2 HOF QBs just left their franchise and Baker Mayfield and Jordan Love lead those teams further in the playoffs than we got.

Stop being scared of change.

A better team and Lance could very well be better than a lesser team and Dak.
Even if I agree with this hypothetical, who says we'll have a better team with Lance? They didn't do anything different when Dak was on his rookie deal getting paid peanuts. Even if Lance decided to play for league minimum for the next 10 years, Dallas would still ignore FA, draft, and fill in holes after the draft via the dumpster. The only difference is that we'd be able to pay more of our own players. This team's success is entirely dependent on the draft. If we have a few more like last year, there will be no one to pay.

Big_D

Reaction score
Watching Stephen work his magic every year is a joy.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Sounds like they may be hoping for a trade during the draft - let his new team dictate the extension

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
You just wonder if they haven't done it by then whether a huge preseason from Trey Lance could change their thinking.
The Cowboys just paid Dak $5 million dollars today. They’re keeping him. They have to pay Lance $4.5 million five days after camp opens in July. They might be keeping him. I wouldn’t bet on it.