News: BTB: Three reasons why Jason Garrett is the best coach for the Dallas Cowboys

waving monkey

Reaction score
When it comes to Jason Garrett, you either love him or you hate him. When things don’t turn out as expected, fans are left questioning whether or not he’s the right guy for the job. When things don’t turn out as expected year after year for all seven of his seasons as head coach - those questions turn into a straight-up perception that Garrett has got to go. Recently, the always outspoken former Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens came out said that he doesn’t understand why Garrett still has a job in Dallas.

When you really look at it, it doesn’t make sense for Jason Garrett to continue to have his job. [The organization is] not really expanding or progressing even as a team under his coaching tenure there.

And here lies the big problem I have with Owens' remarks and many others who want to see Garrett fired - the organization is expanding. The organization is progressing. And the team continues to get better under Jason’s tenure as the coach. There is a reason that the often-impulsive owner Jerry Jones is hanging with Garrett and that is because he has completely bought into what he’s doing and firmly believes that it will produce a championship team. If Jones didn’t truly believe that, Garrett would be fired. So, the only question that remains to be answered is - is Jones going senile and completely off his rocker with how he views Jason or is there some real substance there that many fans are missing?

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rett-is-the-best-coach-for-the-dallas-cowboys

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
His learning on the fly has cost us multiple pro bowl careers (Romo, Witten, Lee, etc). I don't mind his message, but 'be better than the other guy' is so old fashioned and lazy and obvious, and doesn't put any creativity in the hands of the coaches to help the players succeed. He won't ever win because when it counts he will lose to a superior coach.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
I like JG as a person but as a HC not as much. He’s too conservative in certain situations and not really a risk taker, IMO. Sometimes you need those types of risks/plays to win and get to that next level.

JJ has been known to coddle vet players and I don’t see why his head coach wouldn’t get the same treatment.

Has there been any other coach in the league with this long of a tenure with only 2 playoff wins? And with the kinds of rosters this team has had? Quite a few great players have been here without even sniffing a championship.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I like JG as a person but as a HC not as much. He’s too conservative in certain situations and not really a risk taker, IMO. Sometimes you need those types of risks/plays to win and get to that next level.

JJ has been known to coddle vet players and I don’t see why his head coach wouldn’t get the same treatment.

Has there been any other coach in the league with this long of a tenure with only 2 playoff wins? And with the kinds of rosters this team has had? Quite a few great players have been here without even sniffing a championship.
One playoff win. The other one was when Wade was the coach although Garrett was technically co-coach. lol The only one I can think of is Marvin Lewis who had good teams and had more playoff berths but hasn't won a playoff game yet.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
One playoff win. The other one was when Wade was the coach although Garrett was technically co-coach. lol The only one I can think of is Marvin Lewis who had good teams and had more playoff berths but hasn't won a playoff game yet.

Lol. Well, if that’s the same company our HC is in, then I’m not too confident.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
When it comes to Jason Garrett, you either love him or you hate him. When things don’t turn out as expected, fans are left questioning whether or not he’s the right guy for the job. When things don’t turn out as expected year after year for all seven of his seasons as head coach - those questions turn into a straight-up perception that Garrett has got to go. Recently, the always outspoken former Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens came out said that he doesn’t understand why Garrett still has a job in Dallas.

When you really look at it, it doesn’t make sense for Jason Garrett to continue to have his job. [The organization is] not really expanding or progressing even as a team under his coaching tenure there.

And here lies the big problem I have with Owens' remarks and many others who want to see Garrett fired - the organization is expanding. The organization is progressing. And the team continues to get better under Jason’s tenure as the coach. There is a reason that the often-impulsive owner Jerry Jones is hanging with Garrett and that is because he has completely bought into what he’s doing and firmly believes that it will produce a championship team. If Jones didn’t truly believe that, Garrett would be fired. So, the only question that remains to be answered is - is Jones going senile and completely off his rocker with how he views Jason or is there some real substance there that many fans are missing?

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rett-is-the-best-coach-for-the-dallas-cowboys
The only thing I got from watching AON was that JG actually uses profanity and how much involvement JJ and SJ has. I didn't notice any coaching for real, just a bunch of motivational speeches. Want impressed with his staff either.
It's clear to see that he can't do squat, they beat him to coaches meetings. How many other owners do you see before you even see the coach during post Game interviews? The press kno where to go.
The talent we've had kept JG here, he's had "winning" season because of the talent, no thanks to his coaching style!
As long has he wins 8 or more games, keep good mouth shut and don't question anything he'll have his job.

waving monkey

Reaction score
His learning on the fly has cost us multiple pro bowl careers (Romo, Witten, Lee, etc). I don't mind his message, but 'be better than the other guy' is so old fashioned and lazy and obvious, and doesn't put any creativity in the hands of the coaches to help the players succeed. He won't ever win because when it counts he will lose to a superior coach.
sometimes the obvious communicates the best and repeating the message is good coaching and teaching

zerofill

Reaction score
The only thing I got from watching AON was that JG actually uses profanity and how much involvement JJ and SJ has. I didn't notice any coaching for real, just a bunch of motivational speeches.

He tries too hard to be their friend, more than their coach.

You watch videos of when Jimmy was here. Watch videos of Belichick, Parcells, etc... They were all out there telling the player what to do. What they are doing wrong etc... JG just seems to "let the staff" handle it. Sorry but a head coach in the NFL is more of a staff manager, but you have to take some control, and do some coaching as well. AON, showed me nothing of his coaching ability... just the lack thereof. Unless you want to count playing pass the football with Dak as coaching.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How is it that Cowboys fans overestimate the quality of our roster so consistently? You’ve all seen the games. We’ve all watched the bend-and-then-break season endings. There isn’t any mystery there.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
He tries too hard to be their friend, more than their coach.

You watch videos of when Jimmy was here. Watch videos of Belichick, Parcells, etc... They were all out there telling the player what to do. What they are doing wrong etc... JG just seems to "let the staff" handle it. Sorry but a head coach in the NFL is more of a staff manager, but you have to take some control, and do some coaching as well. AON, showed me nothing of his coaching ability... just the lack thereof. Unless you want to count playing pass the football with Dak as coaching.
I agree

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Marv Lewis 15 years and counting, so Ginger is only halfway there.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The talent level has improved lately and there's no denying that this is the case. Even those on other teams see and recognize that. JG should and likely will be the benefactor of that. The assistant coaches have been replaced by some of those widely considered to be better qualified to help improve this team. That should be to his advantage as well. The Cowboys have gotten to a point of appropriately doing much to make the best of their improvements or ultimately facing the consequences of failing in that regard. This should rightfully be a year of decision at season's end.

Let's see what this team holds in store for themselves and their fans. Some staff personnel within the hierarchy of the team might well have a big stake in their futures to lay on the line in 2018. I'm quite sure JG and Linehan are pretty well aware of that. If not, they should be. Personally, I'm both hopeful and confident that they might survive. If not, why not let the chips fall where they may? The FO has done much to ensure their success in 2018. Let's just see where that gets us. Some timely decisions will be due at year's end. Good luck with that for the team, their future and their fans as well.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

JG gives the bare minimum at a high level.