News: BTB: Unlike Mike Nolan, Dan Quinn should benefit from a full offseason with the Dallas Cowboys

nobody

Reaction score
Nolan said one thing and did another. Given his off-season, he should have made minimal changes and kept it simple but did the opposite and had a historically bad defense as a result. Any coach should have been fired after that.

There's almost no way Dan Quinn can do worse and should make this defense light years better than last year by comparison.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Nolan said one thing and did another. Given his off-season, he should have made minimal changes and kept it simple but did the opposite and had a historically bad defense as a result. Any coach should have been fired after that.

There's almost no way Dan Quinn can do worse and should make this defense light years better than last year by comparison.
I’m holding for Atleast 2019 defense , but I think it will be better than that defense with parsons , also this defense was starting to get turnovers. Diggs was much better in zone also

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't see how DQ can fail. He has all he needs to succeed. The right players, full support from McCarthy and the FO. He has plenty of time to install his defense. The facilities are top-notch and once they get to Oxnard there will be no need for excuses.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We should all be thankful that the team didn't use the lack of offseason as an excuse to keep Nolan.

I fully expected that to happen.

I still want to know how absolutely no one in the building saw that we didn't have the personnel to run the defense he actually ran, but water under bridge at this point.

It had to line up that way to get Quinn....and it better work out after all these "Quinn guys" were picked or drafted.

plasticman

Reaction score
It wasn't just the covid that hurt Nolan's chances. There were devastating injuries from the beginning. They lost their best D-line acquisition in veteran free agency before the season ever begun when Gerald McCoy went down. They lost Trysten Hill after 5 games, Neville Gallimore after 9 games, their LB's were constantly hobbling, The CB's were playing musical chairs all season long due to injuries.

The defense was practically gutted in the first quarter of the season, especially the middle of the defense.

Nonetheless, in the final quarter of the season they were ranked 8th in fewest points allowed and 1st in takeaways during those four games in which they went 3-1, very nearly 4-0.

It's said that Nolan's greatest error was not simplifying the defense once it was determined there would be no preseason games or training camp to prepare. However, the injuries to the players destroyed continuity in any case. I don't think the defense was left with sufficient talent to stop an average offense no matter how much they simplified.

There were just too many player disappointments, particularly with the veteran free agents. McCoy, Griffen, Poe.....we got absolutely nothing from those guys. Both LVE and Smith got banged up and just seemed to lack inspiration. The whole defense just seemed to go through the motions.

I think one of the issues we never discuss is the the players coming together to form the kind of bond that successful teams have. Training camp creates the common challenges, the competition, the close knit living arrangements that form the necessary environment in order to build comradery, commitment, and team chemistry. This is especially true for a new coaching staff. These defensive players never got an opportunity to become a team.

But somebody's head had to go and it wasn't going to be the GM or HC, although, quite frankly, it should have been.

Coordinators are not autonomous, they are still assistant coaches. I can't recall any reported incident in which McCarthy instructed Nolan to modify his defensive strategy. I don't recall McCarthy doing much of anything.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It wasn't just the covid that hurt Nolan's chances. There were devastating injuries from the beginning. They lost their best D-line acquisition in veteran free agency before the season ever begun when Gerald McCoy went down. They lost Trysten Hill after 5 games, Neville Gallimore after 9 games, their LB's were constantly hobbling, The CB's were playing musical chairs all season long due to injuries.

The defense was practically gutted in the first quarter of the season, especially the middle of the defense.

Nonetheless, in the final quarter of the season they were ranked 8th in fewest points allowed and 1st in takeaways during those four games in which they went 3-1, very nearly 4-0.

It's said that Nolan's greatest error was not simplifying the defense once it was determined there would be no preseason games or training camp to prepare. However, the injuries to the players destroyed continuity in any case. I don't think the defense was left with sufficient talent to stop an average offense no matter how much they simplified.

There were just too many player disappointments, particularly with the veteran free agents. McCoy, Griffen, Poe.....we got absolutely nothing from those guys. Both LVE and Smith got banged up and just seemed to lack inspiration. The whole defense just seemed to go through the motions.

I think one of the issues we never discuss is the the players coming together to form the kind of bond that successful teams have. Training camp creates the common challenges, the competition, the close knit living arrangements that form the necessary environment in order to build comradery, commitment, and team chemistry. This is especially true for a new coaching staff. These defensive players never got an opportunity to become a team.

But somebody's head had to go and it wasn't going to be the GM or HC, although, quite frankly, it should have been.

Coordinators are not autonomous, they are still assistant coaches. I can't recall any reported incident in which McCarthy instructed Nolan to modify his defensive strategy. I don't recall McCarthy doing much of anything.
It also didn't help that our dummy, entitled players that had everything as simple as possible under Garrett....so simple the other team knew all about it all the time...had little interest in learning something new and complicated.

It wasn't the brightest move by management in the first place, but the players were never getting on board.

Hey....I'm just hoping that's what it took to get Quinn, the latest version of someone who can hopefully lead us somewhere in spite of ownership/management.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I’m holding for Atleast 2019 defense , but I think it will be better than that defense with parsons , also this defense was starting to get turnovers. Diggs was much better in zone also
The quicker we can fast track Parsons and Joseph into the back seven with Diggs, thats when some sparks can start flying.
Just talking about those three being all together in the back seven is a base line for some serious improvement in just athletic ability alone.
I know all about the rookie curve, and takes this long... blah blah,, this is a fast tracked defense with immediate positions to fill and or upgrade, lets let the best start and if thats some rooks, then good, if its a vet, then he earned it.

Last edited:

Daillest88

Reaction score
The quicker we can fast track Parsons and Josephs into the back seven with Diggs, thats when some sparks can start flying.
Just talking about those three being all together in the back seven is a base line for some serious improvement in just athletic ability alone.
I know all about the rookie curve, and takes this long... blah blah,, this is a fast tracked defense with immediate positions to fill and or upgrade, lets let the best start and if thats some rooks, then good, if its a vet, then he earned it.

Yup I’m glad there going back to this scheme with a more aggressive coach. The vets on the team know it best and our current players mostly the linebackers had there beat seasons in this scheme. Parsons is gonna explode! I’m hoping Bohanna turns into a steal

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yup I’m glad there going back to this scheme with a more aggressive coach. The vets on the team know it best and our current players mostly the linebackers had there beat seasons in this scheme. Parsons is gonna explode! I’m hoping Bohanna turns into a steal
Instilling confidence is huge, this defense has been beaten down to the point where I swore a white flag was waived, and I walked away for a moment.
Now I see a very promising addition of talent, Gallimore and Diggs, finding Wilson, and Quinn doesnt care what the Mel Kipers or all the experts say,, he is taking his guys that fit his build,, is that going to be the right choice... we will see.
But I would rather a DC hang em out with full confidence early.. Im endorsing heavily and love the way this defense is coming together quickly.. bombs away boys!

plasticman

Reaction score
It also didn't help that our dummy, entitled players that had everything as simple as possible under Garrett....so simple the other team knew all about it all the time...had little interest in learning something new and complicated.

It wasn't the brightest move by management in the first place, but the players were never getting on board.

Hey....I'm just hoping that's what it took to get Quinn, the latest version of someone who can hopefully lead us somewhere in spite of ownership/management.
It won't just be in spite of management/ownership. He'll have to deal with the inevitable task of replacing injured starters with capable backups. What are the odds, really, that the Cowboys are going to be able to make complete use of their defensive players? The Cowboys have not been one of the luckier teams when it comes to injuries. That's a critical challenge for a coordinator.

Quinn will have to make halftime adjustments defensively. Hopefully, he'll make better ones than he made against the Cowboys early last season and the Super Bowl prior to that. I know he's our "darling" right now but we can't just select the "good" and ignore the "bad".....or the "ugly".

Quinn is going to have to show me. I'm not being negative, I am very hopeful that he will find a mountain of success for the Cowboys. He'll have to earn my faith in his ability to help this team get to the top.

quickccc

Reaction score

Quinn can do worse if he mimics exactly what Nolan did.
But this is hoping he is his own man.

Nolan showed he wasn't an innovator and could make adjustments and it started with cramming his exotic confusing defense
all into zoom meetings and limited camp time. with no preseason. Common sense would have been to keep it simple early on while players gradually adjust.as seaon went on. But there were some really messed up traching, rep regulating, rotations, scheme fit- scheme coverage, etc, etc,

" we'll fit the scheme to fit the players, not tried to fit the players to fit the scheme .... " ... lol. yeh right !

it went far beyond just zoom meetings .. the sucka did not even have sense to get his azz outta the coaching booth and onto the sideliines with his confused and frustrated players ... even reporter Jane Slater was miles ahead of him as far as what was happening, he was clueless.

That made me doubt that even if he had a substantial offseason, we were flat doomed to fail with Nolan around.

BTW, i wish Quinn would be interested in Sean Lee into being on his staff in some kind of capacity - should Sea choose to move into coaching in some asst. capacity. - so Lee can work his way up to eventual DC when Quinn eventually gets another shot at HC again.

:rolleyes:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

I agree, as putrid a DC as Nolan has been recently (and many pointed this out when he was hired), the Nolan hire was all MM.

McCarthy needs to be accountable as well, especially when Nolan completely **** the bed as season progressed and refused to adjust, with McCarthy's support.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It won't just be in spite of management/ownership. He'll have to deal with the inevitable task of replacing injured starters with capable backups. What are the odds, really, that the Cowboys are going to be able to make complete use of their defensive players? The Cowboys have not been one of the luckier teams when it comes to injuries. That's a critical challenge for a coordinator.

Quinn will have to make halftime adjustments defensively. Hopefully, he'll make better ones than he made against the Cowboys early last season and the Super Bowl prior to that. I know he's our "darling" right now but we can't just select the "good" and ignore the "bad".....or the "ugly".

Quinn is going to have to show me. I'm not being negative, I am very hopeful that he will find a mountain of success for the Cowboys. He'll have to earn my faith in his ability to help this team get to the top.
I know what you mean, and don't disagree at all.

Just....he is the guy that's here now, and what do we really have beyond blind faith?

I always hope for the best this time of year. I'm often wrong. It's making me not want to buy in any longer but I do anyway.

For now.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Wasn’t fan of Nolan hire but most any coach( especially a DC)that was a new hire during all the uncertainty of the times with covid would get somewhat of a mulligan with me. All the video watching in the world doesn’t substitute for on the field hands on work....I’m an old school vatto and believe in boots on the ground...Orale
So yes. DQ should benefit greatly fronta regular off season

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet Mike Nolan knows enough not to log into this website or any other Cowboys' website, for that matter. If so, he'd be so pissed, he'd never, ever, do it again! Do I feel sorry for him, you say? Nope! I'm just like the rest of the poor fans who suffered under his defense! Yuck! ;)

Last edited: