News: BTB: Will 2017 See The Return Of “Trader Jerry” In The NFL Draft?

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_9811945.0.jpg

And would that be a good thing or not? Well, it depends.

Over the years, Jerry Jones has been very fond of trading up and down in the NFL Draft. To a great extent, the success of the early years of Jones’ ownership of the Dallas Cowboys was built on the now-famous Hershel Walker trade and the bevy of draft picks reaped from it. In more recent years, he has traded up and down in the draft, sometimes with great success, and sometimes not so much.

Among his successes, the trade up for Dez Bryant has certainly paid off, and the trade back that netted both Travis Frederick and Terrance Williams was definitely a win for the team. But the move up to get Morris Claiborne is now largely seen as a bust, albeit more due to injury problems than anything. And it is not just early round moves that have been a trademark for Dallas. In 2015, the team traded a future pick to get the seventh-round slot that netted Geoff Swaim. His worth is not fully established, but he already shows promise of being more valuable to the team than recently departed free agent Gavin Escobar.

And the itch to make a move is already evidencing itself with Jones. In a recent statement, as quoted by Clarence Hill of the Ft. Worth Star Telegram, he talked about the possibilities.

"Near the bottom of the first, moving toward the top ... this sets up for a little potential trade action to try to gain some value or try to hit an opportunity," Jones said. "I have never looked at where we were when we started a draft and thought we are not going to get a very good player right there. The assumption being that is where you are going to be when you have to make a decision. All that plays out as it unfolds. There are some opportunities (for trades up or down).”

He indicates that he is hardly interested in trading just for the sake of trading. But as we have seen, trades can be good or bad. Here is a look at what kind of situations may come up, and what may come of them. (For another take, you can also check out Landon McCool’s discussion in his recent podcast.)

Trading up.

Moving up would be a strategy if the Cowboys saw a player they felt they really needed on the board a few picks ahead of their spot. This can take place anywhere in the draft, of course, but given the way the talent is being evaluated this year, the most likely spot this could happen is in the first round. And the most likely target would be if they saw that much-desired “war daddy” pass rusher coming in range, with a real threat he could be taken before they went on the clock. This would realistically be limited to a move of five or six spots, just due to cost. The problem is that this would probably come at the cost of their third-round pick. In a draft that is seen to be so rich in talent in the second and third rounds, including the needed positions of defensive ends and defensive backs, that is not necessarily a wise exchange to make. But, there is always the chance that the Cowboys may see that one player they think they have to have. And in a year when a lot of picks may be exceptionally valuable to other teams, they may be able to get something of a bargain to move up a bit more than we would expect.

Trading down.

Just as a general rule, trading back in the draft seems like a better strategy to utilize. There is always a certain aspect of chance with all draft picks, and the more selections you make, the better the odds are of finding one of those hidden gems.

The big problem that comes, especially this year, is that all teams are looking at the same situation, and in 2017, trading down is likely a more attractive proposition as well. Still, there are always some teams with a surplus of draft picks and possibly a more risk-taking approach to the draft.

This year, sitting at 28, the Cowboys may well want to see if anyone wants to move up, possibly to get that fifth-year option on a player they like. Moving back could net an extra pick or two in those talent-rich second, third, and fourth rounds. Plus, the Cowboys are without a fifth-round pick this year, so getting back into that round may be quite attractive. That could mean that trade backs could also come into play later in the draft.

The Cowboys need an infusion of talent on the defense, and may also want to make a few improvements on the offense along the way as well. The decision to make a move up or down, or possibly even more than one trade, depends on whether the team seeks to get more through quality or quantity.

Most importantly, the decision to make a trade needs to made judiciously, in light of what is available when they go on the clock, or what they think will happen in the picks preceding theirs. And we can be reassured that the decision will not be made solely by Jerry Jones. He will have the advice and council of Stephen Jones, Will McClay, and Jason Garrett. Last year, the Cowboys brain trust did pretty well, with a little luck when their attempt to trade up for Paxton Lynch fell through. So we will see how things pay out this year.

What do you think?

Continue reading...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
i think this gets rehashed every year and every year jones is nailed for being TRADER JONES!!!! and when it doesn't really happen, people put it away and bring it up again next year.

it's like interviewing a band and asking "who are your influences"? if you don't know by the time you get this far, you need to be elsewhere.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
The only thing I want to see Jerry do in the draft room on draft day is take food orders from the staff or taking the phone to congratulate the player the head of colleg scouting and his team drafted, other than that, I don't want him doing anything!!!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only thing I want to see Jerry do in the draft room on draft day is take food orders from the staff or taking the phone to congratulate the player the head of colleg scouting and his team drafted, other than that, I don't want him doing anything!!!

Give him a bottle of JWB a few hours before the draft, then duct tape in in the corner.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i think this gets rehashed every year and every year jones is nailed for being TRADER JONES!!!! and when it doesn't really happen, people put it away and bring it up again next year.

it's like interviewing a band and asking "who are your influences"? if you don't know by the time you get this far, you need to be elsewhere.

If you listen to his last interview, http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2017/03/28/jerry-jones-latest-romo-draft-depth-more , it gives you the feeling this year he might be trading again. Whether he does or not is another story.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Trading is in Jerry's blood. It's the art of the deal, and he LOVES that. The problem is he's great at it when it comes to business, but not as good when it comes to acquiring talent.

Fortunately, he has Stephen, Clay and Garrett to guide him.

Having said that, I hope the Cowboys trade down not up. I have to imagine that there are going to be some quarterback-starved teams or teams looking at groom a successor (Saints, Browns, Bears, Niners, Texans, Cardinals, Chargers, Chiefs) looking to move back up to get a quarterback (assuming they don't take one in the first round).

IMO, outside having a top pick (which means our team sucks), this year is a good year to be drafting late in the first round, particularly for team bereft of defensive talent like the Cowboys.

The table is set, Jerry and Co. Now do what you do. ;)

Common Sense

Reaction score
Trading up is almost always a bad idea. Bad economics, bad strategy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm hoping for a trade down.

Take advantage of the volume of DB's in this draft.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a trade down.

Take advantage of the volume of DB's in this draft.

seems like a best option to me if all the first Rd rated players are gone.I think the Cowboys will rate Takk as a first Rder,i am saddened they have no interest in Barnett or Lawson

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you could trade down and get a Basham and a good CB in the second... Sounds good to me as long as we are not walking away from a heck of a player that may fall to us at 28.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think a trade in the first is very doubtful. I dont see them moving out and giving up the 5th year option. They value it too much. Hooker is the only player I could see them trading up for if he falls, but thats a long shot IMO