News: BTB: Wrapping Up The Offseason: Did The Cowboys Improve At Offensive Tackle?

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa-today-9340542.0.jpg

Before the dead zone is over and the Cowboys head out to Oxnard, we ask if they have improved from 2015 to 2016?

[After that disastrous 2015 season, that saw the Cowboys go 4-12 thanks to the injury bug, we are going to examine the entire roster from top to bottom and ask:

Have the Dallas Cowboys improved?

That may seem like a loaded question but in terms of looking inside and out and taking every variable into the equation that question can be answered. Do you believe that the Cowboys improved from one year to the next?]

We turn our attention to the offensive tackle position. The Cowboys have perhaps the best left tackle in the league, but what's it look like beyond that?

Last Season:

LT- Tyron Smith (Perennial All-Pro/ Pro Bowl tackle, showed little struggle last season)

RT- Doug Free (Started all 16 games in 2015, has an injury history)

SWT- Charles Brown (entering seventh season, played swing for Cowboys in '15)

OT- Chaz Green (selected in third round of 2015, red-shirted rookie season)

This Season:

LT- Tyron Smith

RT- Doug Free

SWT- Charles Brown

SWT- Chaz Green (will compete with Brown for swing tackle)

OT- Dave Hedelin (UDFA from Purdue)

OT- Ryan Mack (UDFA from Memphis)

OT- Bryan Witzmann (one-year veteran from NO and HOU Practice Squads)

The improvement for this position will be in the battle at swing tackle between Chaz Green and Charles Brown. Green has to win this job to make the Cowboys' right for taking him in the third round last year. With as much as they could have done there, they chose the tackle they really liked out of Florida. For Green, he has to show that he's ready for the swing job and if he can do that then he just may be able to challenge Doug Free next offseason. It's a bit of wishful thinking for Green to take Free's job this season. He must first tackle one obstacle at a time, right now, that obstacle is Charles Brown.

Hedelin, Mack, and Witzmann are all fighting for possibly one spot on the roster. Most likely they may only have a shot at the practice squad.

Of course, in regards to Free, he's been the elder statesman on this roster for quite some time and is perhaps the fifth best lineman they have. All of the current crop of starters have nothing but respect for Free and it was great to see him get through the season last year relatively unscathed. I'm not certain there is any true competition for his job but at 32, he doesn't exactly have a lengthy career ahead of him. There is a saying that has been thrown around a lot: If Free is your best offensive lineman on the roster, you're probably in trouble, if he's your fifth best lineman than you are in great shape.

***snip***

So, did the Cowboys improve at Tackle?

Like I said, this really comes down to what you feel about the prospects of Chaz Green. For them, it's like having another third round pick to play with because he did nothing last year. If he makes a jump, the answer will be undoubtedly yes to that question.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Both Free and Smith struggle at times but both are good at recovering. So I'm not as inclined to worry as much although their technique needs improvement. The big difference between the two is Smith's hands and Free's relative lack of them.

I don't think we have to judge Green harshly this year. It's hard to advance when you're injured. Your body just doesn't get the reps it needs. I don't know the others including those on the inside. Perhaps someone can tell us about them.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Both Free and Smith struggle at times but both are good at recovering. So I'm not as inclined to worry as much although their technique needs improvement. The big difference between the two is Smith's hands and Free's relative lack of them.

I don't think we have to judge Green harshly this year. It's hard to advance when you're injured. Your body just doesn't get the reps it needs. I don't know the others including those on the inside. Perhaps someone can tell us about them.
What happened to that Doug Free that we were all excited about that was sprinting downfield blocking?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LT- Tyron Smith

RT- Doug Free

SWT- Charles Brown

SWT- Chaz Green

Those are the 4 from last year and will be again this year. Since Green should be healthy, I'll say the OT situation is better.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
What happened to that Doug Free that we were all excited about that was sprinting downfield blocking?

He can kick slide well and moves reasonably well but he doesn't have the wheel (forget which ankle is bad) to do a great deal of that. Nor is he the road grader than Collins is. Plus he's an old man now! :)

Last edited: