News: Bucky Brooks: Cowboys to use some 3-4 looks

Cowboyny

Reaction score
  • I've posted several times about Nolan running a multiple front.
  • I've also posted often about Belichick running a multiple front, with it becoming a big focus in recent years.
    • Despite winning the Super Bowl for the 2018 season, Belichick switched his base defense (1st down defense) from a 4-3 to a 3-4.
  • Recently I've started reviewing the 2019 season Super Bowl winner's defense (Chiefs). They also used many multiple front concepts.
  • All 3 of Nolan, Belichick and KC had a lot of similarities. Big, multiple fronts often used to stop the run with "7 in the box" and with some similar coverage concepts.
    • Both KC and Belichick often used their SS as a Nickel CB (i.e. covering the slot WR). Nolan also did it to some extent.
  • The 3-4 is really a run stopping alignment. Many fans think it's a pass rush alignment intended to disguise who is rushing but in reality it's primary function is as a run stopping defense.
    • In obvious pass rush situations, most 3-4 teams go to a 4-man DL. All 3 of Nolan, Belichick and KC fit into that category.
    • Sometimes it's identical to a 4-2-5 but one DE standing up making it technically a 3-3-5 but the alignment of the stand-up DE really determines if it more like a 4-man or 3-man DL.
    • KC used Frank Clark as a 3-4 OLB. Clark had been a 4-3 DE in Seattle. Clark measured in at 6-3, 271 at the combine. That's a big "OLB".

That's interesting, would Haha serve as the nickel CB or would be be more the role we envision Awuzie transitioning to? I remember Darren Woodson was used as the team's nickel CB under Zimmer.

quickccc

Reaction score
Not only do i not mind the variations, but i can get elated about it and look forward to it as long as it is properly implemented and well designed and you have the personnel to run it, it can bring confusion and disruption to opposition OL unit en route to the QB

- In the 2007 to 2010 era, pressure defensive teams that could implement confusing variations, stunts and match up sets simply gave our so called vaunted OL fits and hell, en route playoff exit losses because they couldn't adjust to stunts, twists and certain nickel match ups (ala NYG and Vikes in the playoffs)

- i'm down with giving offense different looks, but i also don't want those various looks and fronts - including coverage schemes to actually confuse ourselves more than we confuse the opposing offense.

- That's leading thing that eventually sunk Rob Ryan firing departure. Players complaint about his system being too confusing and complex. players constantly caught out of position, blown assignments, caught in trail position, rushers running into each other, finger pointing, locker room turmoil, ..and oh yes it did reach the upper powers that be and said we need him outta here ...and turn to a more simple scheme that supposedly still emphasized turnovers, ..ala Tampa 2 defense and Monte Kiffin/Marinelli crew, ..and i believe you know the rest of the story from here ...

:confused:

Dre11

Reaction score
But wait wouldn’t this confuse the offensive players. Is that fair? How will we know if our guys can win their 1-1 matchups if they just run free to tackle the ball carrier or QB. :huh:

It’s going to a bit for me to get used to this.

You better hope they don't confuse themselves, because according to Kavon Frazier, they made plenty mistakes in what he called Richards complicated system

Reactions: BAT

quickccc

Reaction score
You better hope they don't confuse themselves, because according to Kavon Frazier, they made plenty mistakes in what he called Richards complicated system

Which i would like to have to find out what players were considering Richard's coverage system as complicated ...and what players were insisting it as to simple, bland and predictable.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I sometimes feel that local media read this board...

Brooks is the 1st media person I've seen reference the triple threat or "3 tool" player concept that I've often used to describe some 3-4 OLB positions.

I've often posted about how Spencer in the Wade and Rob Ryan defenses had to be a 3-tool player (Stop the run, coverage and pass rush).

DWare rarely dropped into coverage (about 1/4th as often as Spencer).

DWare was great against the run but had less run contain responsibilities than Spencer in Wade's scheme.

In the Rob Ryan scheme DWare had more run contain responsibilities which was a dumb scheme idea. RR often had DWare in a read & react mode.

Fans dogged on Spencer, but he was very valuable in those defenses and hard to replace.

Backups such as Victor Butler actually looked decent when playing DWare's spot, but struggled to play Spencer's spot.
Yes, and players like Jelks, Armstrong, and Anae can fit,
Jelks is a strong candidate to be used in that role, and if MM sees early success from his small stable of suitable candidates that fit, than more than 1 with that bio will make this roster.
If not, than some cuts will be made, but it will not curtail MM from pursuing that 3-4 venture in drafts, FA, moving forward.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's the problem, it's just SPECULATION. Brooks isn't part of this coaching staff so ANYTHING he says is nothing more than his SPECULATION.

So what is the problem with that?
He explains something the way he sees it. And I will take his word for it over your speculation of his speculation. As you are not part of the coaching staff. And I doubt very much you are involved with the team or have more knowledge than he does.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So what is the problem with that?
He explains something the way he sees it. And I will take his word for it over your speculation of his speculation. As you are not part of the coaching staff. And I doubt very much you are involved with the team or have more knowledge than he does.

You are absolutely right. Neither me or Brooks has anything to do with the Cowboys coaching staff yet you are so ready to believe what his speculations, and that is all it is, over me pointing out that all he has is speculation. I didn't speculate one way or the other what the Cowboys defense will or won't do, I just pointed out that Brooks is only speculating on what he thinks will happen. It just amazes me how some people's logic works.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is so overrated. Teams are in "base" on like 20% of plays, and those are generally not game-deciding downs.

Yes, they'll use multiple fronts - and that's a considerable change from JG/Marinelli. But the 3-4 vs. 4-3 distinction is largely irrelevant.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/brooks-expect-cowboys-to-use-some-3-4-looks

Nice article from Brooks, explaining a few different defensive alignments and the players that for those roles.

Makes even more sense for Cowboys to sign Jadaveon Clowney who has had success playing in both fronts due to his EDGE versatility and elite run stopping.

Woods, Gallimore or Hill can also play 5 tech and/or back up Poe and McCoy.

Crawford is a waste of space. Jerry and Stephen's love for this player does not make football sense, especially at the cost of 9M this season.

For a non-starter, ridiculous.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/brooks-expect-cowboys-to-use-some-3-4-looks

Nice article from Brooks, explaining a few different defensive alignments and the players that for those roles.
I love the 3-4! I had three top ten ranked defenses in state of Texas, all were 3-4. My nose guards those three years were both about 6'2", 300lbs, benched over 500 and squatted over 600. Do we have a guy like that? Mine were HS kids, our guy should be bigger and stronger.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Oh no... his system was complicated too?

Corso

Reaction score
I love the 3-4! I had three top ten ranked defenses in state of Texas, all were 3-4. My nose guards those three years were both about 6'2", 300lbs, benched over 500 and squatted over 600. Do we have a guy like that? Mine were HS kids, our guy should be bigger and stronger.
You guys ever have to face Westlake HS from Austin... kind of Austin?
How about Corpus Christi Callalan, or Converse Judson?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys ever have to face Westlake HS from Austin... kind of Austin?
How about Corpus Christi Callalan, or Converse Judson?
No. Those were 4a. We lost to Cuero by 8. They were ranked 1 and we were 9 that year. We had TDcalled back in an inadvertent whistle and we had a first and goal on the 5 when time ran out in the first half. That one still keeps me up at night

Corso

Reaction score
No. Those were 4a. We lost to Cuero by 8. They were ranked 1 and we were 9 that year. We had TDcalled back in an inadvertent whistle and we had a first and goal on the 5 when time ran out in the first half. That one still keeps me up at night
Dizang! I still love the vid you sent me of your team and that incredible game.