Video: Bucky Brooks take on MM hire. Thinks we'll be dominant team with him

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
This season had me feeling more apathetic about the Cowboys than ever before, but with this hiring of MM, I am looking forward to the upcoming season more than I have in awhile.

I sure hope Bucky is right.

My wife (Pats fan) and I alternate years with travel to see our team play. This past year was my turn and I chose not to go to any game for the same reason.

Proof

Reaction score
Dak took a step forward in his development last season and it would be great if McCarthy could build on that. All I need to hear now is a talking head telling me how much McCarthy values defensive tackles and safeties and I'll be grinning from ear-to-ear:)

the funny thing is, I feel like we were heading to the sweet spot regardless. Dak has played both winning, uninspiring, mistake free football, and now gun slinger stat compiler balll. Next year should settle in between and with a qb developing coach and a fresh offense I think everyone should be excited

efh313

Reaction score
Why wouldn't they.....Mike's a damn good coach. Yes he got a bit lazy and complacent the last couple years in Green Bay but I think had more to do with being there too long. Kinda in line with the John Madden saying of 10 years for coaching the same team. The year off gave him a chance reset and evaluate some of his mistakes. Here's the bottom line for me, our coaches will no longer get caught with their pants down due to lack of preparation or inexperience or in-game adjustments. This alone probably cost us 2-3 Ws this season. In other words, this hiring is worth a min 3-4 Ws IMO over what our record was last year.
I agree 100%!!!
:thumbup:

johneric8

Reaction score
I'm very happy right now as I know are my Cowboys faithful and why should we not be right?

We've endured a coach in Jason Garrett that most of us all agreed was not close to being qualified for the position.

The outcome was always the same because he gave us no tactical advantage against better coached teams.
It was uber frustrating to be a fan for the last 10 years and beyond.

The excitement of having a talented roster and a legit stable of coaches trying to prove themselves is like
the best new years surprise ever.

As much as we dig at Jerry, we should all be thankful at least he is doing things very unlike his previous actions.
We might not go into next year where we need to be, but at least we have hope and a reason to be optimistic.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that we're more aggressive than we've been in last years, despite the huge money we've got to pay out for Dak and Amari. And for three reasons:
  1. The coaching turnover necessitates bringing in new types of players to fit what they want and need.
  2. Jones believes in McCarthy and also that this team can win now and he'll spend accordingly.
  3. Jerry is closely involved in the CBA negotiations and knows as well as anyone that the salary cap is about to make a huge jump.
I couldn’t have said it better I think that’s the route we go. That was the biggest issue with Thompson he wouldn’t spend.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Bucky Brooks take on MM. Talks about developing QBs and says he knows how to play smash mouth football and has an affinity for the running game.
He played in KC when MM was there and thinks MM will clean things up and have the Cowboys playing mistake free football.

@9:30 mark.

Bucky Brooks is one of the few NFL "Analysts" for whom I have professional respect.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The defense will define the season. Offense should be more diverse and productive as ever. STs should see a substantial improvement. If the defense can remain in the top 10-12 area but with more turnovers, this will be a legitimately good team. Not just a team that beats the bottom dwellers.

conner01

Reaction score
With this hiring it’s such a big change for us expectations seem to be high at the moment but we still have resign our own and make some free agent moves. That was Thompson’s problem w Mike in Green Bay. I’m curious to see if jerry picks up any big free agent with mike at the helm
It comes down to talent
MM can’t succeed if he doesn’t have the tools

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Gee Bucky. You've played with 5 different teams in a 5 year career to make that genius of an analyst?! :rolleyes:
Not sticking up for Bucky, but like with anything the more varied experiences you have the wiser you become. I know some extremely intelligent folks who have never been out of their home town except for a trip to Las Vegas or New Orleans. They are the most ignorant people when it comes to their beliefs in regards to whats going on in the world.

ultron

Reaction score
I think Bucky and Eric Dickerson are phenomenal when it comes to insight and interviews

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm willing to bet that we're more aggressive than we've been in last years, despite the huge money we've got to pay out for Dak and Amari. And for three reasons:
  1. The coaching turnover necessitates bringing in new types of players to fit what they want and need.
  2. Jones believes in McCarthy and also that this team can win now and he'll spend accordingly.
  3. Jerry is closely involved in the CBA negotiations and knows as well as anyone that the salary cap is about to make a huge jump.
Good take stash!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bucky Brooks take on MM. Talks about developing QBs and says he knows how to play smash mouth football and has an affinity for the running game.
He played in KC when MM was there and thinks MM will clean things up and have the Cowboys playing mistake free football.
Cleans up game mismanagement, the Red Zone, Special Teams, settles on a good Kicker...yeah this 8-8 team instantly becomes at least a 10-11 game winner next year.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
McCarthy comes from a quality assurance background. Those types don't do drastic changes. What they do is make subtle changes here and there until we get a perfect product. I believe that is what McCarthy will be doing to all facets of the Cowboys. He will make tweaks here and there and once that happens it will turn into double-digit wins and playoff appearances.

Garrett's background was in history. Historians always say that "history always repeats itself." So quite possibly Garrett took the philosophy of the 90s and tried remodel it into today's Cowboys team. His major downfall is his stubbornness and unwillingness to change. McCarthy took time off to better himself by watching film and analytics. Guess who will be a better coach for the Cowboys?