Bucs release OT Steussie

CanadaBoys

Reaction score
As expected, Steussie jettisoned by Tampa Bay

ESPN.com news services

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Needing salary cap space to sign their remaining draft choices, including first-round tailback Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, the Bucs on Thursday night released veteran offensive tackle Todd Steussie.

The jettisoning of Steussie, an 11-year veteran and two-time Pro Bowl performer, had been anticipated for more than a month. The team excused Steussie from its mandatory minicamp last month, all but conceding he would not be back in 2005.

Steussie, 34, has missed only one regular-season game in his career, in 1998, with a knee injury. But he started a career-low five contests in 2004, after never having started fewer than 15 contests in a season, losing his right tackle job to Kenyatta Walker.

Tampa Bay signed Steussie to a six-year, $20 million contract last March, after he was released by Carolina for salary-cap considerations. The contract included a $4 million signing bonus. By waiting until after June 1 to release Steussie, the Bucs have to count only the prorated share of the signing bonus, roughly $667,000 against the 2005 cap. The team will take cap hit of about $2.67 million in 2006. A former University of California star, Steussie entered the league with Minnesota in 1994 as a first-round draft choice. He played seven seasons with the Vikings before his release, then signed with the Panthers in 2001. Stuessie is among three former or current Carolina players cited in a broadcast report alleged to have purchased steroids from a Columbia, S.C., doctor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2118489

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
At one time Steussie was one of the best OTs in the league but he has really declined the last couple of years.

Still, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in at a reasonable price for insurance at RT. I would prefer to see one of our young guys step up and win the spot but it wouldn't hurt to have a veteran RT in camp just in case.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
No way I would want him. If you think Flo has a case of the false starts, watch this guy over a few games. His quickness and explosion are gone, he was living off of his reputation.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I believe Carolina and Bucs released this guy for a reason........and the reason is--His best football is behind him!

Paul Harvey......the rest of the story!

Leave the guy alone and move on with what we have in camp.