# Buehler's Woes Might Prompt 2011 Changes

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

GLENDALE, Ariz. - While Cowboys owner Jerry Jones seemed rather puzzled by so many aspects of Saturday's disappointing loss to the Cardinals, he did have quick and firm answer when asked about David Buehler being the team's kicker next week in Philadelphia.

"Yes, yes," Jones said. "Yes he will."

But he might not be so sure about the next season. In fact, even Cowboys special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis said he expects the Cowboys to at least bring some competition for Buehler, who missed an extra point in the final two minutes Saturday. The two-point lead didn't hold up, as the Cardinals marched down to boot the game-winning field goal and survive with a 27-26 win.

Even worse for Buehler was that he has been more consistent with his field goals, actually improving to 24-of-31 this season, including a 53-yard kick Saturday night.

But the extra point, especially the timing of it, was too much to overcome.

"He's improved this year, but I think he's got a long ways to go," DeCamillis said. "I think we definitely need to be looking at our options next year and make sure we bring some competition in."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=2215550C-F6AD-AF86-E01EEBDB094A31B9

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Get rid of this guy... Can't trust him...

...Or relegate him to kickoffs only. Get a real place kicker in here. This is ridiculous.

Woods

Reaction score
It good that they are talking about bringing in "real" competition.

That can only be a good thing for the franchise.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Bleu Star;3762611 said:
Get rid of this guy... Can't trust him...

...Or relegate him to kickoffs only. Get a real place kicker in here. This is ridiculous.

No reason to get rid of him if he irons out his consistency issues.

DeCaMillis is right, he needs to compete for his spot, but if he wins it then so be it. He has a ton of talent.

Givincer

Reaction score
Bleu Star;3762608 said:
"I think he's done some really good things," Jones said. "He's made some big kicks. I think he's proven he's a quality kickoff guy. But one of the things you want from your kicker is consistency. I think he's been a fairly consistent kicker at times and at other times he's missed some kicks that he's certainly capable of making."

After the game, Jones was asked about his level of trust in Buehler.

"I don't really want to talk about that," Jones said. "I just can't fathom missing an extra point. That's a freak thing to miss an extra point."

Sounds strangely like the definition of inconsistency to me. :laugh2:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
dbair1967;3762626 said:
No reason to get rid of him if he irons out his consistency issues.

DeCaMillis is right, he needs to compete for his spot, but if he wins it then so be it. He has a ton of talent.

No doubt. I made this thread while still a little hot under the collar. I also realize that he isn't solely to blame for last night. Our Defense needs a major overhaul... wow. I can't believe it but it's true. I thought Wade was supposed to have fixed our defense. What a fraud...

Competition only makes you stronger. Get some real competition in here for Buehler...

kmd24

Reaction score
Getting rid of Buehler would be a mistake, I think. He's had his problems, but if you think about where he was at this point last year (they couldn't trust him enough to take over for Folk), I think you have to be pleased.

In a couple of years, this guy is going to be one of the best kickers in the league. I think it was foolish to gamble on his success in a year that was supposed to be a Superbowl run, but I think he's got the right attitude, sounds like a hard worker, and has shown some real improvement this year.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
kmd24;3762661 said:
Getting rid of Buehler would be a mistake, I think. He's had his problems, but if you think about where he was at this point last year (they couldn't trust him enough to take over for Folk), I think you have to be pleased.

In a couple of years, this guy is going to be one of the best kickers in the league. I think it was foolish to gamble on his success in a year that was supposed to be a Superbowl run, but I think he's got the right attitude, sounds like a hard worker, and has shown some real improvement this year.

I hope you're right because I know we won't be getting rid of him anytime soon. That's just me blowing off steam. I'm all for making him compete for the PK position though..

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
CATCH17;3762724 said:
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192339

Said we should get another guy after week 1.

You were spot on. I think we have all been hoping for the best. However, in the back of our minds (at least mine) the cringe happens every time he takes the field for a PK. I'm at the point where I can't even look at the screen now for PKs. I thought XPs were safe... :laugh2: guess not..

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I think you have to let him go through another offseason. If he can't beat out his competition, then you do what you have to do. I just think there's too much potential to just give up after one season.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We'd be foolish to cut him over an extra point...most kickers miss a couple during the year...this was his first miss...the other one was blocked.

The kid has been very solid lately, and frankly, that extra point miss means nothing if he hadn't hit the fgs, including the 53 yarder earlier in the game.

Kickers are not perfect...Folk, who started hot, is not sucking again in NY. This is the kid's first year kicking in the NFL, and he's improved all year. If he were released, I'll guarantee you he'd be picked up by someone fast.

I'm not going to make a bigger deal of that missed PAT than it is with a team in our situation. I wanted the victory, but the loss doesn't even hurt at this point because I don't mind that it now put us in position for a definite top 10 draft slot.

Watching Columbo and our defense last night, including our pass rushers bouncing off the rookie QB, we have much bigger issues than our kicker.

I'll also add that Miles Austin better rebound next year or he's not going to be a star in this league either...his stats ended up looking much better than he was last night. Falling down and reacting slowly on all fours while the CB ran an int. back for a TD, dropping other passes during the game, including a long one...his concentration on the TD pass proved that he's losing his focus on the others. He can do it, but he's really dropping too many passes for a starting WR.

This team has some talented players, but this team also has some serious issues and positions to improve upon. Losing to Arizona with their offense shows us that we still have a lot of the same problems from earlier in the year.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
I don't know what year he is, but I'd look at the kicker from Nebraska that I saw in the Big XII championship game vs OK. I think his name was Henery or something like that. He put every KO into the back of the EZ and his FGs would have been good from 70 yrds, AND he was punting as well as McBriar. If he's draft eligible I would not be suprised if NE doesn't take him w/ one of their 1sts. Of course Jerry would not see the point of taking this guy in any round...

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
This is a kicker you simply cannot trust. And now we have to hold our breath wondering if extra points will even be good. Suckage!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We can't cut Buehler now. We've waited too long for that.

We've forced ourselves into at least giving him a 2011 tryout.

The guy HAS to learn how to focus though.

What upsets me is we knowlingly put winning in jeopardy with him this year.

At least we get a better draft pick though and weren't eliminated from some type of post season reward.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
No matter when or where he's on the field, I can't watch. I don't trust him at all. I literally do not watch him kick; I get up and get a drink or use the restroom. I can't fathom how you keep a guy with that sort of trust level.

BlueStar3398

Reaction score
He needs another off-season to hone his craft. He makes most of the long ones and shanks the shorter ones.