CFZ Buffalo Offensive line gaps

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
Fundamentally offensive line gaps (spacing between linemen) are often used to determine in scouting a team what type of plays are about to be run. For example wider gaps often indicate runs with pulls or traps or tighter ones a pass play or outside run. Offenses try to gain advantages without the gaps being too obvious to opposing defenses. Defensive scouts try to pick up on any patterns

Through film study or analysis, defensive coaches will pick up on this so they can give their team tells/reads for plays.

Buffalo’s O-line created a very wide split with the left tackle and left guard. Then the left guard would crash down to the right on pull plays creating gaping holes on the left side as the Cowboys DE would rush the outside edge. Then when the DE would try to compensate Buffalo worked the outside.

There were no changes in the D-line scheme to compensate for this obvious gap wrinkle and Buffalo took advantage all night.

It would appear that an adjustment such the MLB lining up to shoot the gap is one possible solution. Quinn seemed not to change scheme and they blamed tackling as a reason for the running game success but you could say tackling is more difficult if you are out of position because of Buffalo’s scheme in the run game using this gap strategy. They needed to go bear with 3 DL and two DE to stop this.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They just run at the defenses' alignment.

5-2 would a) expose them in coverage and b) no solve the numbers advantage they were getting with pullers and motion.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Fundamentally offensive line gaps (spacing between linemen) are often used to determine in scouting a team what type of plays are about to be run. For example wider gaps often indicate runs with pulls or traps or tighter ones a pass play or outside run. Offenses try to gain advantages without the gaps being too obvious to opposing defenses. Defensive scouts try to pick up on any patterns

Through film study or analysis, defensive coaches will pick up on this so they can give their team tells/reads for plays.

Buffalo’s O-line created a very wide split with the left tackle and left guard. Then the left guard would crash down to the right on pull plays creating gaping holes on the left side as the Cowboys DE would rush the outside edge. Then when the DE would try to compensate Buffalo worked the outside.

There were no changes in the D-line scheme to compensate for this obvious gap wrinkle and Buffalo took advantage all night.

It would appear that an adjustment such the MLB lining up to shoot the gap is one possible solution. Quinn seemed not to change scheme and they blamed tackling as a reason for the running game success but you could say tackling is more difficult if you are out of position because of Buffalo’s scheme in the run game using this gap strategy. They needed to go bear with 3 DL and two DE to stop this.
I love these types of post.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
1st play of the game - I hope this helps illustrate the point

Pause at 0:03 - See the gap between the LT and LG before the snap
Pause at 0:05 - See the center pulling through the natural hole and the Cowboys DE position
Pause at 0:07 - See Cook not touched at 7 yards through the gap

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Yeah it is the B gap also known as the bubble. In the past we would start 2 gapping with a 5tech and even shade to a 4i to take it away.

It is either that or the 3T is getting blown up on the weakside. We would put in Hankins and Mazi and 2 gap both of them off the guards in that case.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Rewatching that, the first play Mazi gets blown right off the ball. After that there was all kinds of suck from Clark looking like he has no idea what he is looking at and Gallimore acting like he is glued to blockers and on skates. The tackling and effort were just piss poor all around.

Creeper

Reaction score

Pause at 0:05 - See the center pulling through the natural hole and the Cowboys DE position

Yeah, playing wide makes the OTs job easier and the pulling offensive lineman has only Bell to block and it is a mismatch. The problem is #98, who I guess is the new guy , does not get upright and falls to the ground. If he stay up and fights for his position they stop that play for a short gain. Defensive linemen cannot get pushed down to the ground like that they need to get under the pads of the offensive linemen and push them back or flow to the play. I suspect if that was Hankins of Osa that would not have happened.

Watch the second play on this video. This is the play that to me is symbolic of the entire game. 3 Cowboys get their hands on Cook but all take him high. They don't get him to the ground and then a couple of Bills come along and push the pile 7 yards for another 1st down. That right there showed exactly how this game was going to go. It showed the vulnerability of the small LBs and Safeties playing LB. But worse, it showed awful tackling technique. I think Parsons was trying to pry the ball loose which is which misdirected his force instead of stopping the running. I am not blaming him, if he gets the ball out it would be a great play. Give Cooks credit for not letting it go.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

You are right in what you are seeing, but the fix is another body at the second level. Regardless of where the DT lines up, the LB is responsible for two gaps and they're in 2-high against 12 personnel for some odd reason.

The puller is just going to be determined by the alignment. Against a 5-front like you were talking about, assuming the same personnel (which, Buf would probably be throwing), the TE would end up pulling and probably kicking out the edge with the tackle going second level to seal the LB, so you have the same problem. The solution is 6 (far-side S, isn't on screen) coming down to be the edge defender, allowing 14 to immediately fill the B/C depending on alignment, or 30 pushing down allowing 33 to move over a gap.

In this play, they are at a significant numbers disadvantage. It is a 7-man box against 7 blockers, plus the RB and the running threat of the QB. They can attack the weakside with numbers because 11 has to stay home to account for Allen, allowing them to effectively turn the weakside into a strongside play with a puller. It's understandable on the first play of the game, but Dallas had 0 answer for this.

Reactions: CWR

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
You are right in what you are seeing, but the fix is another body at the second level. Regardless of where the DT lines up, the LB is responsible for two gaps and they're in 2-high against 12 personnel for some odd reason.

The puller is just going to be determined by the alignment. Against a 5-front like you were talking about, assuming the same personnel (which, Buf would probably be throwing), the TE would end up pulling and probably kicking out the edge with the tackle going second level to seal the LB, so you have the same problem. The solution is 6 (far-side S, isn't on screen) coming down to be the edge defender, allowing 14 to immediately fill the B/C depending on alignment, or 30 pushing down allowing 33 to move over a gap.

In this play, they are at a significant numbers disadvantage. It is a 7-man box against 7 blockers, plus the RB and the running threat of the QB. They can attack the weakside with numbers because 11 has to stay home to account for Allen, allowing them to effectively turn the weakside into a strongside play with a puller. It's understandable on the first play of the game, but Dallas had 0 answer for this.
Awesome. I think we agree that they had no answers or effective adjustments and staying in your base has problems

Sydla

Reaction score
I expect Detroit and Philly to try to replicate this against us. I am assuming we end up facing Philly in the playoffs. It's kind of bizarre that Philly doesn't just line up and jam it down our throats with that OL. I doubt they make the same mistake in the playoffs.

We are a small, fast defense built to play with a lead. Throw in some injuries and we are small in the box, where we are playing safeties as LBs. Any team that can be physical and can commit to running the ball like Buffalo will give us issues.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
I expect Detroit and Philly to try to replicate this against us. I am assuming we end up facing Philly in the playoffs. It's kind of bizarre that Philly doesn't just line up and jam it down our throats with that OL. I doubt they make the same mistake in the playoffs.

We are a small, fast defense built to play with a lead. Throw in some injuries and we are small in the box, where we are playing safeties as LBs. Any team that can be physical and can commit to running the ball like Buffalo will give us issues.
I agree. If you’re Dallas you want them to pass, so I guess they will need to stack the line and fill gaps.