Building a better D

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like DLaw but have started to change my view on how we should build a better defense/ team. Instead of paying a guy 25m a year who has continue to wane at the end of each season as his injuries pile up.

Trade dlaw- top candidates are raiders with multiple 1st round picks or chiefs who are switching to a 4-3 and moving their 2 best defenders. Can also let him walk, Whatever we get is gravy.

Instead sign- margus hunt, Henry Anderson or similar guys to 4years 4-6m each. Then target either ET, Tre Boston or tyrann mathieu. And still have money left over to make other moves.

Dump hurns- resign Austin cheap, sign Kevin white from the bears, draft a slot guy.

dallas72

Reaction score
You have to sign DLaw....players look at teams differently when they dont pay their players....look at Raiders ....Dlaw played last 2 years w a torn rotator . Hes a beast vs the run & after losing Gregory & Irving we have nothing but a Taco

PUSHfold

Reaction score
I don't want to sign D-law to a mega deal either with his injury history especially since it involves back problems so I agree with this. It hurts yeah it does because I really do like D-law but we need to be absolutely ruthless in building our franchise...he has too many question marks to be getting paid Mack money...he's just not THAT kind of player and you're right he does fall off every season when we need him most. He might be the best DE we've had since Ware but he's not a Ware type player.
Move on and get what you can saving the cap.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I like DLaw but have started to change my view on how we should build a better defense/ team. Instead of paying a guy 25m a year who has continue to wane at the end of each season as his injuries pile up.

Trade dlaw- top candidates are raiders with multiple 1st round picks or chiefs who are switching to a 4-3 and moving their 2 best defenders. Can also let him walk, Whatever we get is gravy.

Instead sign- margus hunt, Henry Anderson or similar guys to 4years 4-6m each. Then target either ET, Tre Boston or tyrann mathieu. And still have money left over to make other moves.

Dump hurns- resign Austin cheap, sign Kevin white from the bears, draft a slot guy.
I like taking a flyer on Kevin White maybe a prove it deal.

Honey Badger n Boston were on the market last year and DAL didn't bite. They'll probably just draft a safety, but a veteran will help.

DLaw would be missed if he's gone for a few years considering drafting guys like Taco.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like taking a flyer on Kevin White maybe a prove it deal.

Honey Badger n Boston were on the market last year and DAL didn't bite. They'll probably just draft a safety, but a veteran will help.

DLaw would be missed if he's gone for a few years considering drafting guys like Taco.

Drafting safeties is tough. There are few good ones so you end up over drafting and miss out on another more talented player at a different position.

As for DLaw yes you'd miss him but if you sign 2 guys who can equal his production you actually make the dline better and guard against injury.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Drafting safeties is tough. There are few good ones so you end up over drafting and miss out on another more talented player at a different position.

As for DLaw yes you'd miss him but if you sign 2 guys who can equal his production you actually make the dline better and guard against injury.
So true about drafting Safeties, they would really have to target a guy with the 2nd or 3rd.

I see your approach with two replacing production, yet I think they might as well redo the whole DL like the DBs n LBs. It would only take 2 FAs like you say and a few draft picks.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So true about drafting Safeties, they would really have to target a guy with the 2nd or 3rd.

I see your approach with two replacing production, yet I think they might as well redo the whole DL like the DBs n LBs. It would only take 2 FAs like you say and a few draft picks.

OL and DL win ball games. You need good starting OL with decent backups but you need waves of talent at the DLine. Extend some contracts, sign a few good veterans both proven and unproven and see what we can grab in the draft.

Mr_437

Reaction score
OL and DL win ball games. You need good starting OL with decent backups but you need waves of talent at the DLine. Extend some contracts, sign a few good veterans both proven and unproven and see what we can grab in the draft.
Agreed. I remember soon as they loss to the Rams I thought the needed DTs and a OT before any other positions.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Market DLaw for 2 1sts, hope for a 1st and a 2nd. Sign a guy you can build around and throw the picks at the DLine. Use the savings to get the best veteran S under 10M and draft another in the 2nd or 3rd this year.

The more I think about it, with so many good DTs, DEs, and S out there this FA and draft, you could probably take serious steps on solidifying all 3 positions. It all starts with finding a trade partner for DLaw.

The flexibility is so great I'm beginning to wonder if a 1st and 3rd or so is good enough just so we can put that contract behind us and go rebuild half the defense in one season. Like the price of admission to the answer to most of our defensive problems is just finding a trade partner and then using our resources in obvious ways.

It's like we're bringing a hot girl to the dance and we're too busy getting her refreshments to keep her satisfied to realize that the dance is full of hot girls with lower expectations. We could have two hot girls and still be making the same amount of runs to the bar!

Grady Jarrett is about to sign for around 16-17M/YR! We can build around him just as easily as DLaw for way cheaper. The options this offseason are perfect to blow up and rebuild the DL and S positions.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Market DLaw for 2 1sts, hope for a 1st and a 2nd. Sign a guy you can build around and throw the picks at the DLine. Use the savings to get the best veteran S under 10M and draft another in the 2nd or 3rd this year.

The more I think about it, with so many good DTs, DEs, and S out there this FA and draft, you could probably take serious steps on solidifying all 3 positions. It all starts with finding a trade partner for DLaw.

The flexibility is so great I'm beginning to wonder if a 1st and 3rd or so is good enough just so we can put that contract behind us and go rebuild half the defense in one season. Like the price of admission to the answer to most of our defensive problems is just finding a trade partner and then using our resources in obvious ways.

It's like we're bringing a hot girl to the dance and we're too busy getting her refreshments to keep her satisfied to realize that the dance is full of hot girls with lower expectations. We could have two hot girls and still be making the same amount of runs to the bar!

Grady Jarrett is about to sign for around 16-17M/YR! We can build around him just as easily as DLaw for way cheaper. The options this offseason are perfect to blow up and rebuild the DL and S positions.
3 million dollars? You're haggling over 3 milly. Sign D-Law and get some cheaper than Grady Jarrett.