Building a complimentary team that aligns philosophy and cap space

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You certainly have to have some star players to have a great team. But the franchises winning Super Bowls are teams- made up up of talent that fits together into a complementary roster that aligns philosophy with cap space.

This isn’t fantasy football. Unfortunately our front office hasn’t learned that yet. I mean they’ve only had over a quarter century to learn it.

Building a complimentary team is not rocket science. It’s starts with a simple question: What kind of team are we trying to be on offense and defense? Does our cap spending reflect this philosophy?
  • Offense- are we building around a strong running game with a complimentary passing game? Or is it the other way around? With the cap space dedicated to Zeke, Zack Martin, Ty Smith and La’el Collins, (he may be gone) it would appear to be for a strong running game. But that doesn’t match the way they play. And Dak of course is the biggest cap space here. So what are we trying to be offensively?
  • Defense- Obviously, this D should be building around Micah Parsons who will remain relatively cheap for 3 more years on his rookie deal. IMO, the only thing that made our D appear to be “much improved” last year were the TOs and having a big play guy like Parsons. Diggs is great at getting some picks but his coverage skills need tons of improvement. And this D never has gotten better against the run. What are we trying to be defensively?
Building a team is so much more than just getting some “stars” or “names”. In fact, the first part of building a great team is knowing what you’re trying to be. What’s this team’s identity?

You can’t build a winner without aligning philosophy and cap space.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
You certainly have to have some star players to have a great team. But the franchises winning Super Bowls are teams- made up up of talent that fits together into a complementary roster that aligns philosophy with cap space.

This isn’t fantasy football. Unfortunately our front office hasn’t learned that yet. I mean they’ve only had over a quarter century to learn it.

Building a complimentary team is not rocket science. It’s starts with a simple question: What kind of team are we trying to be on offense and defense? Does our cap spending reflect this philosophy?
  • Offense- are we building around a strong running game with a complimentary passing game? Or is it the other way around? With the cap space dedicated to Zeke, Zack Martin, Ty Smith and La’el Collins, (he may be gone) it would appear to be for a strong running game. But that doesn’t match the way they play. And Dak of course is the biggest cap space here. So what are we trying to be offensively?
  • Defense- Obviously, this D should be building around Micah Parsons who will remain relatively cheap for 3 more years on his rookie deal. IMO, the only thing that made our D appear to be “much improved” last year were the TOs and having a big play guy like Parsons. Diggs is great at getting some picks but his coverage skills need tons of improvement. And this D never has gotten better against the run. What are we trying to be defensively?
Building a team is so much more than just getting some “stars” or “names”. In fact, the first part of building a great team is knowing what you’re trying to be. What’s this team’s identity?

Are we trying to build a winning team, or an entertainment venture?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Has anyone ever figured out what we have in Dak??? How do you build a team around a guy that can't really run, passes aren't always accurate, I mean I don't know what to say

Years ago we could build it around ZEKE but lover boy Jerry is in love with Kellen all he wants to do is pass all day long

Blackrain

Reaction score
It seems like part of the problem is you start to build a team around a philosophy and players live up to that philosophy and their billing right up to the point where they get paid well.

Then all the sudden their philosophy changes to one of protecting their career at all cost and doing just enough to get by.

It's hard to build an identity when players change their philosophy mid career

Blackrain

Reaction score
If we look at our defense . I have no idea what the philosophy was but it sure had an identity and it wasn't a good one.

That said inject two young playmakers playing over their heads to get the kind of contract that Dak and Zeke have and all of a sudden you have a defense whose identity has become one of getting turnovers.

What will be interesting is if we can build on this and after Micah and Diggs get paid they stay the same players

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Hence the problem when the GM is the head marketer instead of the guy who sets the football philosophy for the franchise.

I wonder if Jerry is just marking time this season until Peyton is available.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Bob, they are not building a complimentary team. They are just going to be a bunch of guys here and the baby dak. You need to get used to never winning crap. you might see one miracle of a playoff win every 11 years or so and that's it. sheesh, enjoy the joke team.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Hence the problem when the GM is the head marketer instead of the guy who sets the football philosophy for the franchise.

I wonder if Jerry is just marking time this season until Peyton is available.
If that were the case I doubt we just let Coop go for whatever we can get...restructure him and kick the can. Similarly, we would like to get Peytons views on: Tyron/Steele/Collins/Badass/DLaw/Gregory...
..."hi Sean, I'm going to give you a list of players, if you were building a hypothetical football team, could you cough if you'd need to have them".

JBS

Reaction score
The defense improved significantly last season, without it the turnovers..to suggest otherwise is flat out wrong..this defense 2 years ago was historically bad

Diggs was a second year player last year, of course he needs to improve his coverage skills. But no, he doesn’t needs tons of improvement

fivetwos

Reaction score
I personally enjoyed trading up for Claiborne and signing Carr because Rob Ryan supposedly needed better corners....then firing Ryan after the next season.

Topped off by replacing him the Kiffin/Marinelli show which didn't value corner play.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The defense improved significantly last season, without it the turnovers..to suggest otherwise is flat out wrong..this defense 2 years ago was historically bad

Diggs was a second year player last year, of course he needs to improve his coverage skills. But no, he doesn’t needs tons of improvement

Yep, Diggs looks like a ballhawk who has that closing speed to take advantage of the poor throw.....he's best used when we utilize the pass rush, bet that right and Diggs becomes a dangerous weapon.

RodeoJake

Reaction score

The Jones' paint themselves into a corner when it comes to negotiation time. They don't have the foresight to have a cheaper option on the team to use as leverage in negotiations. Then they panic and overpay. Imagine having a RB on the roster that could have filled in for Zeke? How about a capable DE that could have replaced Tank? Also, I still don't believe you pay 20 mil per to your #1WR and use a 1st rd pick on another one right afterwards. This FO has no direction. It's like they just want shiny stars on display in their gaudy monstrosity.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jones' paint themselves into a corner when it comes to negotiation time. They don't have the foresight to have a cheaper option on the team to use as leverage in negotiations. Then they panic and overpay. Imagine having a RB on the roster that could have filled in for Zeke? How about a capable DE that could have replaced Tank? Also, I still don't believe you pay 20 mil per to your #1WR and use a 1st rd pick on another one right afterwards. This FO has no direction. It's like they just want shiny stars on display in their gaudy monstrosity.
Well said. I’m not sure any of this occurs to JJ and SJ. Jerry is a business genius and football fool. Thus we have “The Most Valuable Franchise in Sports” that doesn’t win playoff games.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I personally enjoyed trading up for Claiborne and signing Carr because Rob Ryan supposedly needed better corners....then firing Ryan after the next season.

Topped off by replacing him the Kiffin/Marinelli show which didn't value corner play.
Since our last SB, we’ve gone from the 4-3 to the 3-4, then back to the 4-3, then whatever we’re running now…And had 8 different defensive coordinators and 7 different OCs. And of course one GM. Can’t imagine what the problem is.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If that were the case I doubt we just let Coop go for whatever we can get...restructure him and kick the can. Similarly, we would like to get Peytons views on: Tyron/Steele/Collins/Badass/DLaw/Gregory...
..."hi Sean, I'm going to give you a list of players, if you were building a hypothetical football team, could you cough if you'd need to have them".

Keeping and restructuring Coop means leaving Peyton $20mil less to work with next year and a then 29 year old Cooper scheduled for another $20mil. Bad value is bad value. Kicking the can down the road with the old guys digs a giant cap hole for the future. Not something Peyton would like to inherit. Obviously Steele and Biadasz are just kept.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keeping and restructuring Coop means leaving Peyton $20mil less to work with next year and a then 29 year old Cooper scheduled for another $20mil. Bad value is bad value. Kicking the can down the road with the old guys digs a giant cap hole for the future. Not something Peyton would like to inherit. Obviously Steele and Biadasz are just kept.
Why do you believe Sean Payton is coming here? I can’t see it unless MAJOR changes and concessions are made at the top of this organization. I can’t imagine Payton agreeing to work here unless he’s allowed to be a real NFL head coach who’s in charge of his locker room and has control over things Jerry won’t release.

Frankly, I believe 100% of the “Sean Payton to Dallas” talk is a Jones sales job to create a false hope for the fans. Put it this way- I will believe it when it happens. And I firmly believe it will not.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Since our last SB, we’ve gone from the 4-3 to the 3-4, then back to the 4-3, then whatever we’re running now…And had 8 different defensive coordinators and 7 different OCs. And of course one GM. Can’t imagine what the problem is.

I think its getting caught up in the "person" they interview for a role rather than having an idea what kind of scheme they need to be running and if that person doesn't come up with the same answer don't offer the job.

Instead they get folks with different ideas and try to mesh them together with a roster that is built for something else.