But. What. If. 4.0

jday

Reaction score
Why not us? This team’s defense gives us a chance in every game here on out.

No doubt.

And that offense seems to get better every week. Like someone else mentioned, if they get the Gallup connection right, Dallas could be lethal.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Great contribution to the conversation, Colo; thanks for taking the time to read! :thumbup:

By super bowl caliber, I'm not saying they are going; I'm just saying they can compete with anyone. So I think for the most part you and I are on the same page. Their biggest hurdle I suspect will be maintaining their backs against the wall mindset, so I'm hoping they don't take their foot off the gas before the season is over.
Yes, definitely on the same page. One thing I failed to note ( others have, though), as opposed to earlier in the year, the team has avoided 4Q fades. In fact, it seems as though the team gets a second wind late in the game - quite a change from last year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt.

And that offense seems to get better every week. Like someone else mentioned, if they get the Gallup connection right, Dallas could be lethal.
I’ve noted recently that we won the last two games despite losing the turnover battle and giving up more sacks than our opponents. That’s a huge testament to this defense. And as you said, this offense with the threat Cooper brings, forces opposing defenses to back out of their loaded box which opens lanes for Zeke and the running game. Gonna be an interesting playoff run.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Nice write-up. For a change, I was able to read the whole dang thing. I can agree whole heartedly with the overall premise. This is a team that fights for every yard.

Thanks for taking the time to write your novella and for giving me time to warm my old, creaky bones from the cold wind. I even read parts of this to momma hog and her piglet. They seemed to enjoy it or maybe they just were too busy devouring their feed to listen.

Scotman

Reaction score
I've watched the Cowboys my whole life. I've followed them from the glory of the Staubach and Aikman days through the quagmire of Henson and Carter. My earliest positive memories in life center around watching the Boys with my dad. I've spent hours talking to Laufenberg, when he would come to our high school games, about the Cowboys. I've seen and discussed virtually every play every quarterback for the Cowboys has ever played.

Here's my take on Dak...I don't have a clue. The dude wins games at a great clip and still loses some that were all but won. He pulls plays out of thin air that make up for previous plays he simply gave away. He makes a throw that takes your breath away and follows that up by overthrowing Gallop every single time. I will say this, every QB is dependent on having a solid line. But I don't think I've ever seen a QB more dependent on their line. He improves SO much with solid line play that he become, IMO, one of the very best in the league. Without it, the drop off is unbelievable. Every QB is better with a solid line. The difference for Dak is drastically more obvious that other NFL QB's.

We are truly a Superbowl caliber team. I agree with jday about that (excellent write-up BTW). Every time we've made a Superbowl run, things just "clicked." You win games you should. You win games you shouldn't. People like LVE seemingly come out of nowhere. Guys like Dak perform at levels you didn't think they could. You win a challenge. You get a favorable call. Someone makes a tackle. There probably aren't a dozen plays between now and the Superbowl that will decide the outcome of the season. Romo was possibly one botched hold and/or successful scramble away from changing his whole narrative. If we are to win this thing, Dak needs to have his name on the positive side of those. If he does, everything is within our grasp.

But...we need to win next week. We need to start collecting some more of those positive plays. No resting. No hesitation. If we don't ride the wave when it's here, we miss it.

ENJOYED the write up jday...seriously.

jday

Reaction score
Yes, definitely on the same page. One thing I failed to note ( others have, though), as opposed to earlier in the year, the team has avoided 4Q fades. In fact, it seems as though the team gets a second wind late in the game - quite a change from last year.

Honestly, I think a big reason for that late in the game fight is Dak. You might already do this, but if you don't, you should go check out Amari's interviews of late. He gushes about Dak's demeanor and approach to the game.

So, say what you will about Dak's mechanics, pocket-presence and overall game, most of it is probably deserved, but there's not too many QB's playing now that I'd rather have lining up behind center late in the game with a one-score deficit than Dak. He just has that clutch gene that you can't teach.

jday

Reaction score
I’ve noted recently that we won the last two games despite losing the turnover battle and giving up more sacks than our opponents. That’s a huge testament to this defense. And as you said, this offense with the threat Cooper brings, forces opposing defenses to back out of their loaded box which opens lanes for Zeke and the running game. Gonna be an interesting playoff run.
Without question this defense has been more dominant than I think many people give them credit for. When your defense can overcome the turnovers and penalties and mistakes, that's elite. And the crazy thing is we still really haven't seen this offense play a complete game yet. If they can shore up the Dak to Gallup connection and figure out a way to get Tavon Austin involved, this offense could be one of the better ones entering the playoffs. And honestly, if they get going on all cylinders (offense, defense, special teams), there really isn't one team in the league they can't beat.

jday

Reaction score
Nice write-up. For a change, I was able to read the whole dang thing. I can agree whole heartedly with the overall premise. This is a team that fights for every yard.

Thanks for taking the time to write your novella and for giving me time to warm my old, creaky bones from the cold wind. I even read parts of this to momma hog and her piglet. They seemed to enjoy it or maybe they just were too busy devouring their feed to listen.
Thanks for taking the time to read and the kudos! :thumbup:

It would not surprise me to learn that reading my stuff to pigs improves the flavor...please let me know how that works out.:grin:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I knew Diamond recorded it, but I wasn't aware he wrote it. Interesting. And almost as surprising as the fact that Cat Stevens wrote The First Cut Is the Deepest.

I seriously did not know that Cat Stevens wrote that. Yep, Diamond wrote I'm a Believer. The Monkey members were pretty much devoid of musical talent. Not a big Neil Diamond fan as a performer but an great song writer. Did you know that Michael Nesmith's mother was the inventor of Liquid Paper? Cha-ching!

jday

Reaction score
I've watched the Cowboys my whole life. I've followed them from the glory of the Staubach and Aikman days through the quagmire of Henson and Carter. My earliest positive memories in life center around watching the Boys with my dad. I've spent hours talking to Laufenberg, when he would come to our high school games, about the Cowboys. I've seen and discussed virtually every play every quarterback for the Cowboys has ever played.

Here's my take on Dak...I don't have a clue. The dude wins games at a great clip and still loses some that were all but won. He pulls plays out of thin air that make up for previous plays he simply gave away. He makes a throw that takes your breath away and follows that up by overthrowing Gallop every single time. I will say this, every QB is dependent on having a solid line. But I don't think I've ever seen a QB more dependent on their line. He improves SO much with solid line play that he become, IMO, one of the very best in the league. Without it, the drop off is unbelievable. Every QB is better with a solid line. The difference for Dak is drastically more obvious that other NFL QB's.

We are truly a Superbowl caliber team. I agree with jday about that (excellent write-up BTW). Every time we've made a Superbowl run, things just "clicked." You win games you should. You win games you shouldn't. People like LVE seemingly come out of nowhere. Guys like Dak perform at levels you didn't think they could. You win a challenge. You get a favorable call. Someone makes a tackle. There probably aren't a dozen plays between now and the Superbowl that will decide the outcome of the season. Romo was possibly one botched hold and/or successful scramble away from changing his whole narrative. If we are to win this thing, Dak needs to have his name on the positive side of those. If he does, everything is within our grasp.

But...we need to win next week. We need to start collecting some more of those positive plays. No resting. No hesitation. If we don't ride the wave when it's here, we miss it.

ENJOYED the write up jday...seriously.

Thanks you for taking the time to read, the kind words and the contribution to the conversation. :thumbup:
Like you said, everything just seems to be working for this team right now; they have the momentum. Which is why I truly do hope that if they do lock up the playoffs this weekend that they keep on going as if they haven't. Because if at any point they decide to let their foot off the pedal, they may never get that momentum back. Aside from all the other concerns you could point to (redzone struggles, stupid mistake at the worst possible time, etc) this is my predominant concern.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score

It would not surprise me to learn that reading my stuff to pigs improves the flavor...please let me know how that works out.:grin:
Maybe I can get RodeoJake to send me a pound of bacon. I'll be the independent taste tester and let you all know the outcome.

RodeoJake

Reaction score

They wolfed down their feed in record time and curled up in the hay wanting their bellies scratched. So I'd say they liked your write-up just fine. Time will tell on improving the taste. Gonna be awhile before baby is ready to be bacon, sausage, ribs and ham.