Bye Bye to the 4-3

Dye

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Correct. Too bad a certain person... I won't give you his name because I don't want to incite him but I'll spell it backwards "SRON", thinks the scheme is everything. Between him and the brain surgeon HH, those guys think you can put Brainpaint, Juke and myself out there and if you're aggressive you'll have a top rated defense.

mike: we can have a top-rated defense if you add "tb" and "hos" manning the inside and "latuna" and "wg" on the outside linebackers!

Mash

Reaction score
Personel has alot to do with the success of a unit and in this case our defense....but we shouldn't downplay what effect a very good DC can do.

Game planning the opposing offense.....on the fly adjustments.....teaching......being aggressive or passive.

What scares me about Zimmer is the latter....he has proven to me that he is not a great game planner.....adjustments seem like they don't exist.....and to me he seems like a Dave Campo clone. Play not to win but play not to lose.

But this year is a learning experience.....I'm not expecting to much.....alot of young guys will get playing time....our DC is learning a new system which he stated is more passive then the previous scheme (4-3) :eek:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dye said:
mike: we can have a top-rated defense if you add "tb" and "hos" manning the inside and "latuna" and "wg" on the outside linebackers!

The trouble is Dye in that formation Hos would be the weak link no doubt. :D

I would do all I could to stay away from LTN's and WG's sides of the field.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
I am still laughing at you Hos...
Good, laughter is the best medicine and I am your healer just as you are to everyone else on the forum.

Oh my how you have changed your tune over & over...
Now its reduced to prove zimmy won't do anything but hold a clipboard...ha ha...
Actually, you're the one screaming "Auntie Em, Auntie Em, it's a twister! It's a twister!"

You're in full spin control mode and everyone above the 6th grade in reading level knows it. Any time you wanna directly challenge my posts feel free. I like roast.

What a joke, your still grasping at straws to fool some people (perhaps) into thinking you might have a clue...
Oh goody, now you're going to attempt to read my mind. Did you learn nothing from the last time someone tried that? I picked my teeth with his bones. Let's see what you got.

It all started with "zimmy's great" prove he isn't...
I'll tell you what HH. If you can show me one post on this forum or the old home where I said "Mike Zimmer is great" I will make it worth your while. You got the nads to accept this? I just slapped you right across the motuh with a glove HH. Pick up that gauntlet and put your money where your mouth is.

Its still Zimmy's 4-3 prove we will change...
I see you're having trouble reading and comprehending. Good to know the sun will come up tomorrow and all will be right in the world.

You guys that have no reading comprehension skills delight me. I'd explain this to you and your cronies once again but why bother? You still won't get it.

Oh what the hell, let's give it the old college try. If you go back and read every post I have ever written about the 4-3 or the 3-4 I have never said I favor one over the other. I have repeatedly said that in order to successfully run a scheme you need the right personnel.

You know what? Every honest to goodness football coach in America will tell you the same thing. It isn't some groundbreaking revelation. Just plain on common sense.

2 years ago there was predictions we were going to the 3-4 over Willie Blade and Bradie James among others. We didn't make the switch. (Psst, wrong personnel. ;) )

Last year the pedictions returned this time with Chad Eaton, Scott Shanle, Ryan Fowler, and Marcellus Wiley as the "proof." We didn't make the switch. (Psst, wrong personnel. ;) )

This off season through Free Agency and the Draft we have done what amazing phenomenon? (Psst, we added the personnel I have been harping about for 2 years. ;) )

Scoreboard Hostile, et al.

Zimmy's the DB coach, prove he won't be...
Again, show me where I've said this HH. It isn't even remotely close to what I have said. Truth be told, either your memory is shot or your reading comprehension really is as bad as I am joking about.

Zimmy's a GREAT DC, prove he isn't...
Back to point #1 and my challenge. Show me where' I've said this.

Good luck. You're going to need it. If you even have the sack to try and prove I've said this that is.

Alas, I have proven over & over zimmy has been reduced to trying to learn greek...(3-4) and to "Not whine, just shut up & learn it"
hardly what a great DC would HAVE to DO...
Actually you've never "proven" this at all. Spouting about it over and over until people think you're a joke isn't proving squat. Take a lesson from the whale, the only time he gets harpooned is when he comes up to spout.

I Nors & others knew he sucks and Parcells had to make changes, yet you needed "proof" now that you have been "proven" wrong so many times before, its reduced to "Prove he will just carry a clip board"
Oh this is beautiful. You guys knew he sucks but Parcells and Jerry Jones prevented him from taking the Nebraska job. Nice of you to throws Nors and others under the bus with you in claiming you all know something that Jerry and Bill don't know.

I find your contention he will only carry a clipboard to be so far beyong ludicrous that I doubt any of your cronies even take you seriously.

Let's just be logical for one minute. Let's try and analogy. To help you translate I'll actually put the real case scenario in parenthesis. You own or run a business (the Cowboys) and there is a new technology you want to use (the 3-4). You want to reach the top of your business field (Super Bowl). You feel this technology (3-4) will help. You with me so far?

You are telling me that the way you'd do this would be to take an inept employee who is doing a poor job in another area and put this assignment in his incapable hands.

:lmao2:

Yeah, successful businessmen all over America are following that model.

Wake up, the coffee is brewing.

Thanks for keeping me and my fellow posters laughing...
You're welcome. I enjoy joking around.

However, I do agree its the players, but also the scheme, but most important THE COACH who has to make it all work to the STRENGTH of his players...Something zimmy has ALWAYS failed to do...
Like I've told you over and over, Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells do not agree with your diagnosis. You keep claiming they are unhappy and when I ask you for proof you got nothing.

Its the question of camp IMHO, how much time will Parcells spend, teaching his 3-4...Because we all know its "greek" to zimmy WUSS!
Do we all know that HH? Apparently Bill Parcells and Jerry Jones don't know that. They gave him the task of getting it ready for this season.

The coffee will be long gone by the time you quit hitting that snooze button.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
The trouble is Dye in that formation Hos would be the weak link no doubt. :D

I would do all I could to stay away from LTN's and WG's sides of the field.
Oh you're dead meat MW.

:chainsaw:

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
Lets not put the cart before the horse just yet.... I very much like everything I've been reading and hearing about D Ware, however he has yet to play an NFL down. To proclaim him as the new LT is a stretch. But I'll hope along with everyone else that he will be a great player for us.

Nice point. I love the potential on the kid, but I think you gotta do some things before you get compared to one of the greatest, if not the greatest LB of all time.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
What Hos said ... and more.

I think Zimmer is a fantastic coordinator. You look at his record and he's proven it. So our schedule was a little soft. We could have at least had a top 5 defense that year (2003). And he's done well - in spite of what some claim - with smaller, faster talent.

He's an effective blitzer and utilizes the talent at safety well when he's not given much talent to work with. He likes to man up with the corners and blitz with the safeties. He also likes to play a Cover 2 or a safety over the top. I think his least effective schemes have been zone coverages. This tends to be where he gets beat mostly. But he's still competent.

If our personnel turns out to be sound in manning up on the opposition, we can be brutal with the pass rush. The new CB's should be a nice improvement for Zimmer.

I feel we also may use the 4-3 in the beginning of the game or on 1st downs. Then bring the 3-4 later in the game and on latter downs. This will disrupt the opposition by confusion. And changing the defensive fronts - if you can remain consistant - will be an asset to Dallas that the majority of other teams in the NFL don't have the luxury of having.

Another area I hope we improve on is sideline coverage. It seems that's another place we get beat. But I've also noticed teams try to stay away from the middle due to Roy Williams and Darren Woodson who we miss so much. And I think the increased depth at corner is another improvement that gives Zimmer tools. But if we can instill fear and execute in middle of the field and also shut down the deep patterns, we should be an improved defensive unit.

Just my two pennies.