Bye week discussion-what are the future D needs?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I disagree, his loss has been felt. Outside of the Chargers, we haven't face a top QB in his absence.

He is a secondary rusher. He's a good runstopper and when a guy like Randy flushes the QB to the strong side he can get the sack. But he gets washed out of too many plays. He's closer to a 10-12million dollar guy than the 27-29 million he's costing.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He is a secondary rusher. He's a good runstopper and when a guy like Randy flushes the QB to the strong side he can get the sack. But he gets washed out of too many plays. He's closer to a 10-12million dollar guy than the 27-29 million he's costing.
We are going to need him against the better teams. As for the future, don't see him being released at least for another yr, as he is still very productive when healthy.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I know most fans can’t see past QB sacks as the sole measure of DE’s play, but those that have a broader understanding can appreciate Lawrence’s overall game.

D-Law was 8th overall amongst all defensive players in “splash plays.”

Mr_437

Reaction score
Draft:
1) DE
2) NT
3) LB
4) DB/S

At DE, RG will be back but DA n Basham could be gone, plus Anae n Kamara are bottom 53.

3Tech is set with Osa n Galli, but can't trust Big Bo to hold NT by himself..some help is in order. Watkins n Urban are 1 yr rentals.

The young LBs take over..Parsons n Cox are the starters next season. Neal/Kearse come back to add depth, but draft pick is incoming.

Cowboys will re-sign Hooker or Kazee at FS. I see Kearse back at some capacity. Then they have Israel n Coyle (PS) developing. I'd like to see at least 1 Safety drafted to stay stocked.

5 CBs are under contract for next season, so I think they keep and develop what they have.

Award2184

Reaction score
DE: Re-signing Randy is a must. My hope for 22: Re-sign Randy, continue to develop Gholston, keep Basham for the last year of his contract for depth, leave D-Law's contract as is (don't release, but don't restructure in case you want to part ways the following year), and draft an edge in the first two rounds.

DT: Osa and Gallimore are the future at 3-tech. Bohanna is part of the rotation at NT, but not sure if he's a starter or backup long term. Hamilton might be a good player to re-sign on the cheap. Don't think Jordan Davis falls to us in the draft. I'd be happy with the NT from UConn or a similar type of move in the 3rd or 4th rd and roll with those 5 players. D-Law and Gholston can slide inside on passing downs as well.

LB: Need more depth with LVE probably not re-signing, imo, and Cox coming off of injury. Hopefully we can re-sign Neal for veteran depth/familiarity with the defense, draft someone with one of the 3rd or 4th round picks, and maybe use a late rd on a project/ST player

CB: Lewis and Brown are under contract and serviceable. I'd be fine holding onto them and hoping that Joseph can step up and take either the outside spot or the nickel. Maybe use a 5th or later on a depth player that can grow into a rotational player later on.

S: Re-signing Kearse is a top priority. He'd be my 2nd priority FA after Randy. Kazee and Hooker should command more money, but hard to say how much. Hopefully they can re-sign one. My preference would be Kazee. Would love to see an early rd pick spent on a FS that they can develop behind Kazee.