Byron Jones and Interceptions

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
By whom? His best season was his final season with KC, as a #2 opposite of Brandon Flowers. He never ranked remotely close to where Jones ranked the past two years. The comparison is stupid. Jones is one of the best man to man corner in the NFL, Carr was a decent corner with a fat contract forced to being a #1. Again, the comparison is from a bubble - he's nothing like Carr outside of the two always being available.
This team has a problem divining true talent from CB's and QB's.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When people discuss paying Byron Jones, the strongest (and sometimes only) argument against signing him is his lack of interceptions.

I'm not saying we shouldn't hold that against him. He doesnt intercept the ball. That's a fact.

I was thinking about this, and the thing I keep coming back to is that nobody intercepts the ball on this defense, and they havent for years. Jeff Heath of all people has been our best interceptor for years. This makes me think that perhaps any corner would have lower than typical interceptions in the scheme we've played for years.

So I'm wondering what people's opinions are on this. Are we going to see Byron Jones go to another team and start pulling down interceptions? If so, then maybe he could do that for us under a new coordinator in a new scheme. Theyve already stated that turnovers are going to be a priority for once.

Or is it that Byron Jones himself is the problem? Does he just not have that aspect to his game?

This is a really important question to answer before deciding his future.

For the sake of this thread, please just focus on whether Jones should be paid, and not on whether there will be room left to pay him pending Dak, Cooper, etc. We've got enough threads about the cap space they may command.
While I'm a Jones fan, and believe it's important that we keep him, he doesn't have good hands. I'm personally less concerned with interceptions than I am with not allowing the opponents to score TDs, but I think it's a difficult task to determine how much is too much to pay, especially considering that whomever we replace him with most likely won't have the coverage skills he has, and we have no way of knowing if he'd be any better at intercepting the ball.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
giphy-downsized.gif

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm fully against giving out any more large contracts to people that have been here and infected by the Garrett era.

I'd honestly rather take my chances with other teams free agents.

I can only HOPE the new staff can change the entitlement culture. The less players that are brought back the better.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
When people discuss paying Byron Jones, the strongest (and sometimes only) argument against signing him is his lack of interceptions.

I'm not saying we shouldn't hold that against him. He doesnt intercept the ball. That's a fact.

I was thinking about this, and the thing I keep coming back to is that nobody intercepts the ball on this defense, and they havent for years. Jeff Heath of all people has been our best interceptor for years. This makes me think that perhaps any corner would have lower than typical interceptions in the scheme we've played for years.

So I'm wondering what people's opinions are on this. Are we going to see Byron Jones go to another team and start pulling down interceptions? If so, then maybe he could do that for us under a new coordinator in a new scheme. Theyve already stated that turnovers are going to be a priority for once.

Or is it that Byron Jones himself is the problem? Does he just not have that aspect to his game?

This is a really important question to answer before deciding his future.

For the sake of this thread, please just focus on whether Jones should be paid, and not on whether there will be room left to pay him pending Dak, Cooper, etc. We've got enough threads about the cap space they may command.
ok first on whether Jones should be paid
Fans dont have proper game film to analyze secondary players so for this MM and jones boys will have to decide this, and also how much is he worth.
Like you I think it was the scheme and coaching, that limited int's for all players , been that way since marinelli got here.
And jones, dak and all other players could be better under new coaches, impossible to know, unless they get to play here in 2020.

I think jones is worth keeping, but I dont know what it would cost to keep him. Paying tank and elliot were both mistakes, but now they are stuck with those contracts.