Cable vs Directv

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I'm considering going back to cable. The main reason is that since I no longer have a landline phone I can't get a dvr from directv. The cable company is going to give/rent me as many as I want. The biggest drawback is no more sunday ticket :(

My question is a dvr worth giving up the sunday ticket?

k19

Reaction score
I dont have DVR but I wouldnt go back to cable just beacause they dont have Sunday ticket or NFL network. Can't live without either

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love my DVR...but I really wish I had the Sunday Ticket.

Without the ticket I miss quite a few games and have to listen to them on the net.

However the DVR is there 24-7 365 unlike the NFL Ticket.

Do you have a friend that has the ticket...if so get the DVR and then just go to your friends on game day lol.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
k19 said:
I dont have DVR but I wouldnt go back to cable just beacause they dont have Sunday ticket or NFL network. Can't live without either
I have pretty much resigned myself to not having the ticket this year because money is too tight.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
k19 said:

Actually our cable service DOES have NFL Network...just not the ticket.

Sadly though except during pre-season and around draft time....I find the NFL Network highly over rated.

k19

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I have pretty much resigned myself to not having the ticket this year because money is too tight.

That MAY be the case here too after the wonderful news we got on Friday regarding the BRAC list and realignments. I'm looking for another job just to be on the safe side

BrAinPaiNt said:

Sadly though except during pre-season and around draft time....I find the NFL Network highly over rated.

True true. I dont think our local cable has nfl network but I dunno for sure. Maybe I'll be back in Texas by the beginning of the season, we'll just see what happens

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
k19 said:
True true. I dont think our local cable has nfl network but I dunno for sure. Maybe I'll be back in Texas by the beginning of the season, we'll just see what happens

I had it last off season and until about the 2-3 week of the regular season....then it seemed to be a waste IMO because they showed the same 3-4 programs over and over.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

I agree the only thing I watch is the old NFL Films segments.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
The new Tivo Series 2's (which can be had through the DirecTivo combo) have ethernet ports instead of LAN lines. You need to connect to a LAN line once, and only once, when you are installing it (to configure the correct channel lineup).

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
The new Tivo Series 2's (which can be had through the DirecTivo combo) have ethernet ports instead of LAN lines. You need to connect to a LAN line once, and only once, when you are installing it (to configure the correct channel lineup).
Would they work with wireless?

Trophy#6

Reaction score
I have digital cable, that's what my main subscriptions is on- but then come football season I also turn the direct tv back on. Up until now too, they've just let me simply buy the NFL package and no service package. So I get the games on Sunday and that's it- Use digital cable for everything else.

If you have the equipment (satalite + reciever) already, just do what I do- best of both worlds.

Plus I wouldn't go to all this trouble if I didn't think cable had alot more to offer. I get my phone, cable and modem all on my cable bill, can't beat that.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Trophy#6 said:
I have digital cable, that's what my main subscriptions is on- but then come football season I also turn the direct tv back on. Up until now too, they've just let me simply buy the NFL package and no service package. So I get the games on Sunday and that's it- Use digital cable for everything else.

If you have the equipment (satalite + reciever) already, just do what I do- best of both worlds.

Plus I wouldn't go to all this trouble if I didn't think cable had alot more to offer. I get my phone, cable and modem all on my cable bill, can't beat that.
I wish I had the money to do both.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I love my DVR, but I would give it up in a heartbeat for NFL Sunday ticket. I can always whip out the old VCR if need be.

I can't find an alternative to my ~10 hours of football every Sunday. :D

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
The only reason I have DirecTV is for Sunday Ticket. Other than that, no advantages for me especially seeing as how my dish always blows over even though it's tied down better than a damsel to train tracks.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
When the NFL disbanded the cowboys chanel I could have swore they said the NFL would be offering games on PPV this year on-demand through the cable companies. When I had my DVR installed I talked with the tech here in Richmond Va. and he said he had been told they would be offering games this season On-Demand. Whether thats true or not IDK but I'd wait until closer to the season and see before I go back to DTV atleast thats what I'm doing....

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I have satellite and DVR. DVR owns, but I use it for sports, so losing Sunday Ticket would suck for you.

That being said, never, and I mean NEVER, get Dish Network. They have neither Sunday Ticket NOR the NFL Network. What a joke.

5 Super Bowls

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I'm considering going back to cable. The main reason is that since I no longer have a landline phone I can't get a dvr from directv. The cable company is going to give/rent me as many as I want. The biggest drawback is no more sunday ticket :(

My question is a dvr worth giving up the sunday ticket?

I have comcast in the dallas area. $5 dollar HD DVR per month. Couldn't live without it. I don't need the sunday ticket since I live in Dallas. The way the CBA is going, I wouldn't be surprised to see the sunday ticket go to both cable and sat in the future.

5 Super Bowls

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
When the NFL disbanded the cowboys chanel I could have swore they said the NFL would be offering games on PPV this year on-demand through the cable companies. When I had my DVR installed I talked with the tech here in Richmond Va. and he said he had been told they would be offering games this season On-Demand. Whether thats true or not IDK but I'd wait until closer to the season and see before I go back to DTV atleast thats what I'm doing....

Last year Comcast On Demand had recaps for every game free. A 30 minute recap for every game was nice. It kind of kept me up to speed with the rest of the league.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Would they work with wireless?
Yea just get yourself a network bridge. Check linksys or d-links websites. They might also be called gaming adapters.