Can Al Johnson play RG?

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Can Al Johnson play RG? If so, we can maybe think about moving him into Rivera's spot. I only ask because Al Johnson is more athletic than powerful, and ar RG that can be the best use of his ability. Remember, Gurode once played guard and it was his limited ability to pull and limited athleticism that made him too ordinary at the G position. What do you guys thinK?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He was the backup there last season.

However, if there was an injury, I would expect Gurode would have moved over to RG and Al played C

Bryan8284

Reaction score
I don't think Johnson can maul at RG like we'd need. I don't know if he's big enough.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Al is going to get starter money from some other team. If he goes to a team like Denver he'll make everyone puke that we let him go. He's a good player.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Does not matter if he is good in Denver. He wasn't HERE.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bryan8284;1384281 said:
I don't think Johnson can maul at RG like we'd need. I don't know if he's big enough.

Johnson is listed at 6-5 311 which is actually bigger than Kosier who is listed at 6-5 305

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1384297 said:
Johnson is listed at 6-5 311 which is actually bigger than Kosier who is listed at 6-5 305

Flozell must have had his foot on the scale

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1384297 said:

Johnson is unfortunately, the kind of guy who seems to be able to get bigger -- but not stronger.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
It's funny that someone brought up Kosier. I was thinking the same thing. They seem to be similar types of players. Al seems a little more athletic and better suited to workin space on misdirection and sweeps. FWIW.

SS

:star:

Bryan8284

Reaction score
Johnson is huge on his bottom half if I recall correctly. He doesn't have a big upper body.

I told my friend, a Denver fan, to hope his team gets Johnson. I think he's a great fit for their system.

Hailmary

Reaction score
We have all this cap money, spend it.

Wanna really fix the OL. Start by signing Steinbach or Diehlman and not hope if Johnson can transition to guard.

JMO.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1384327 said:
Too weak and small.....according to BP
When did Parcells ever say this? You're really on a roll with the left field comments today CC.

burmafrd

Reaction score
BP mentioned two years ago that Johnson had peaked out as regards weight training/strength level. Only way he could do better was through leverage; and it seems he was never able to really grasp that.

Woods

Reaction score
burmafrd;1384347 said:
BP mentioned two years ago that Johnson had peaked out as regards weight training/strength level. Only way he could do better was through leverage; and it seems he was never able to really grasp that.

And we were all hoping when drafted he'd become the next Mike Webster - or something close to it . . . .

AbeBeta

Reaction score
burmafrd;1384347 said:

Sometimes I think Al Johnson stole your lunch money.

Bill also said last year that Al was playing extremely well - so suggesting he was never able to grasp it may not be accurate.

kevsstang

Reaction score
I believe Al would need to be around 310-315 and get stronger to be effective at Guard. I would much rather have Blaylok or someone who is bigger and stronger at RG.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
A lot depends on the Offense Garrett wants to run. I would think he would want more physical but who knows at this point?

If we are going to go big on the OL, I think Johnson is good trade bait. If not, he could fit in well.