Can Al Johnson play RG?

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1384327 said:
Too weak and small.....according to BP

You could say the same about Cossier, but BP liked him (he's more about favorites than substance). BP is also the brilliant mind who thought Gurode was a guard, only to have the guy end up finishing his career as the starting Center. Sorry, but BP is IRRELEVANT, as is anything he thinks and says about Al Johnson. Now, I don't know if Al Jhnson would or would not be a good fit at Guard, but I do know that BP is the last person I would ask about it. Like I said, BP is IRRELEVANT!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1384507 said:
A lot depends on the Offense Garrett wants to run. I would think he would want more physical but who knows at this point?

If we are going to go big on the OL, I think Johnson is good trade bait. If not, he could fit in well.
They actually had trade offers for Al last season, but BP wouldn't do it. If a 4th or better were offered I would have in a heart beat if Gurode was going to remain my starter. Too late now, Al is a free agent.

sago1

Reaction score
I think Parcells tried get Al Johnson to learn OG position to make him more useful while as a backup C. But previous to 06 season Johnson did not play any other OL position and I sincerely doubt anyone would consider Johnson an upgrade over Riveria. We need add a quality RG to upgrade our OL--not use a backup center who'd only be adequate at best as our new RG starter.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1384595 said:
They actually had trade offers for Al last season, but BP wouldn't do it. If a 4th or better were offered I would have in a heart beat if Gurode was going to remain my starter. Too late now, Al is a free agent.

I don't know. Is he RFA or UFA? I don't know what he's making but I think we probably have to sign him either way. I mean, unless we are going to sign Woody you almost have to.

Hiero

Reaction score
I think hes too small for RG, he can barely make the weight at C. Id like to see us draft a good young guard, Grubbs Beekman or Ramirez.

burmafrd

Reaction score
AL TRIED to beef up; he did his best. It was certainly not through lack of effort. BUT he reached his physical limits and that is that. There was a lot of talk about leverage and how if he learned that well enough it would make up for his lack of size/strength. Just never seemed to pan out. BP really lliked Al and was not a great fan of Gurode; so for him to start Gurode the whole season says a lot.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1384696 said:
I don't know. Is he RFA or UFA? I don't know what he's making but I think we probably have to sign him either way. I mean, unless we are going to sign Woody you almost have to.
Hes a UFA, played four years in the league. That one article was wrong or it was a typo.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1384579 said:
You could say the same about Cossier, but BP liked him (he's more about favorites than substance). BP is also the brilliant mind who thought Gurode was a guard, only to have the guy end up finishing his career as the starting Center. Sorry, but BP is IRRELEVANT, as is anything he thinks and says about Al Johnson. Now, I don't know if Al Jhnson would or would not be a good fit at Guard, but I do know that BP is the last person I would ask about it. Like I said, BP is IRRELEVANT!

For the record, BP also realized he was wasting Gurodes talent by trying to make him play guard and admitted as such. With what we had as O-lineman we needed to try whatever it took. It failed, move on right?