Can Andy Dalton be Jon Kitna like?

quickccc

Reaction score
its been really tough for me to think and enjoy NFL football. - especially Cowboys football without Dak
as he had become one of the NFL's most exciting players to watch.

But i had a thought that if Andy Dalton can be anything close to what we used to experience
with backup Jon Kitna when Romo first broke his collarbone in 2010, and Kitna came off the
bench to engineer an offense that was averaging 31 points when he was getting the starts- before he eventually got hurt himself for that year.

Dalton's game reminds me more of a Jon Kitna like player.

A scrappy, grinding serviceable with limited physical tools such as an average arm that won't beat the better secondaries, as far as consistently driving it into deep seams or power it on go-fly routes and quick sideline outs, but he's a solid game manager, bus driver
- takes what defense gives him,..
- solid enough feel for pass game, ..
- occasionally lets receivers run under his floaters for possibly big plays
- Vast starting game experience - just imagine if Cooper Rush were still the backup ..YIkes !!

- if you can mixDalton up with a very solid run game, he can be very serviceable with the pass game.
- Would have been much better served if we had an even decent enough Defense so he wouldnt have
to be in a catch up mode.

As as some have pointed out, if we watched Nick Foles help manage his team into a SB, it' would not be so out of the question IF we had other help sources as well.
- if it were not for this accused porous defense-
- and we could recapture a dangerous effective enough Zeke- Pollard run attack, and much more solid special teams
- and i just dunno if we have enough in the OL to being able to overcome that as well.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
its been really tough for me to think and enjoy NFL football. - especially Cowboys football without Dak

But i had a thought that if Andy Dalton can be anything close to what we used to experience
with backup Jon Kitna when Romo first broke his collarbone in 2010, and Kitna came off the
bench to engineer an offense that was averaging 31 points when he was getting the starts- before he eventually got hurt himself for that year.

A scrappy, grinding serviceable with limited physical tools such as an average arm that won't beat the better secondaries, as far as consistently driving it into deep seams or power it on go-fly routes and quick sideline outs, but he's a solid game manager, bus driver
- Vast starting game experience - just imagine if Cooper Rush were still the backup ..YIkes !!

- if you can mixDalton up with a very solid run game, he can be very serviceable with the pass game.
- Would have been much better served if we had an even decent enough Defense so he wouldnt have

As as some have pointed out, if we watched Nick Foles help manage his team into a SB, it' would not be so out of the question IF we had other help sources as well.
- and we could recapture a dangerous effective enough Zeke- Pollard run attack, and much more solid special teams
- and i just dunno if we have enough in the OL to being able to overcome that as well.
Yes, I believe Dalton is better than Kitna ever was.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
A serviceable back up who ultimately doesn’t make a difference, that’s about what I expect.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He's better than Kitna and with the weapon/talents he has .........get ready coz he's going be pretty damn good IMO. I honestly think this is the beginning of our worst fear. Andy's going win a bunch of games feeding Dak critics as we've never seen and since Dak is on IR, there's nothing he or anyone can do to stop the brutal speculation of who's the best. It will be the talk of fans and media with every Dalton win from here on out. In other words, dial back to when Dak took over for Romo and looked like an ALL Pro, remember the drama of whether or not Romo would get his job back? Just me but I honestly this is where this is going .....Dak vs Dalton filled with drama, speculation, fighting, you name it.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Dalton is way better than Kitna. Dalton is still a starter in this league and has led less talented teams to the playoffs in way better divisions.

Dalton is a good (not great) starter in the NFL and he’s with very talented skill players and a coach who is known as a QB guru. He’s going to put up a lot of points unless the OL just falls apart.

The defense could derail the season but it won’t be the fault of the QB position.

I hate that Dak got hurt but it is a luxury to have a backup QB as good as Dalton.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Dalton is way better than Kitna. Dalton is still a starter in this league and has led less talented teams to the playoffs in way better divisions.

Dalton is a good (not great) starter in the NFL and he’s with very talented skill players and a coach who is known as a QB guru. He’s going to put up a lot of points unless the OL just falls apart.

The defense could derail the season but it won’t be the fault of the QB position.

I hate that Dak got hurt but it is a luxury to have a backup QB as good as Dalton.

Exactly.......good post

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Lots of metaphors and presumptions in your post.

I thought you were describing YA Tittle in 1958.

Not Dalton in 2020.

You need a few lessons from Corso.

He waxes poetic and sets his posts to music which he writes and uploads to You Tube so he can listen to his posts as he falls asleep.

Smooth operator.

Just search Youtube for Corso's Lullybyes.

Zzz zzz....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great post.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Lots of metaphors and presumptions in your post.

I thought you were describing YA Tittle in 1958.

Not Dalton in 2020.

You need a few lessons from Corso.

He waxes poetic and sets his posts to music which he writes and uploads to You Tube so he can listen to his posts as he falls asleep.

Smooth operator.

Just search Youtube for Corso's Lullybyes.

Zzz zzz....

I always read Corso to Bach and Beethoven.

garyo1954

Reaction score
IMO, Dalton will be fine. He doesn't have a cannon like Kitna, in fact some question his arm strength. Andy says, "Its not holding me back. As long as we win and I get completions to my guys, I'm not worried about it."

Its interesting to go into this week with Dalton as the starter. Back in February/March there were plenty of threads on options should Dak hold out and Andy (among others) was mentioned in several of those, mostly with a resounding "No thanks," "Are you on drugs?," and my personal favorite, "In a related question, do you guys think I should eat a steak tonight? Or a piece of poo? Best in mind, the poo is way cheaper. I think it’s pretty obvious. Anybody got a breath mint?"

And here we are with Andy Dalton the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys. Amazing how your worst nightmares are coming truth in 2020, isn't it?

Bear in mind, I'm not posting this to call anybody out (I said dumb sh$t myself). Its a lighthearted fun thread and fun read:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/qb-option-no-3-andy-dalton.452983/

Verdict

Reaction score

I think Dalton is probably a better QB than Kitna.

Verdict

Reaction score

I think if you stacked all the QBs in the league up Dalton may be in the 15-20 range and could be better than that. We will see.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I mean Kitna like is good but how about Big D Nick Foles like?

good point giles had a D to keep it tight get the Opposing O field when needed or come up with TO’s and sacks and a good punter : FG kicker all 3 phases working together

He was a great deep ball thrower and Ashlon Jeffrey came up big for him