Can any offense afford a TE who won't block?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Often heard that Shultz is a catching TE that can’t block, I don’t know why his chart says 255 pounds. He don’t look it. I think Jarwin is the blocker..

reddyuta

Reaction score
i dont think they will resign Schultz for this reason.he is a really terrible blocker and the sad part was he was supposedly a good blocker when we drafted him.there are so many run plays going his direction when all he has to do is just impede the defender and he couldnt do it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Our starting tight end, Dalton Schultz, had the most receptions of his career yesterday at 8. He was every bit the security blanket Dak needed on another rough day for the offense.
Every player on an offense, however, should be willing & able to block in the run game. Schultz is plenty strong enough, so that leaves his willingness. Perfect example: on a Pollard stretch play, 210 pound Ceedee Lamb is tasked with blocking 255 lb. Lorenzo Carter. Lamb fights, scratches, & claws and gets the job done. The 255 lb. Schultz pulls out & engages a 210 lb. DB, & gets stoned. Doesn't move the guy an inch. I've seen too many plays where Schultz is left trailing his man, who ends up hitting our ball carrier.
Anyone else have a problem with that?

There are plenty of examples of Schultz making good blocks. He's just been struggling with them lately. I don't know if defenders have spotted some issues with his technique or what, but he definitely needs to work to improve it. I think questioning his willingness, though, is just silly.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Sometimes you may have to live with things like this just to have the big-play capability he brings. So I wouldn't use Schultz too much in important blocking elements of the game, but smaller elements of it. We want it all, but sometimes we can't have it all.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Jay Novachek wasn’t exactly known for his blocking but he could play on my team any time.
Agreed, but Jay could block in space --- he knew how to get in between the ball carrier and the tackler. He just couldn't block in line well, but he at least tried to seal.

Jarwin and Schultz wiff in space and can't block in line or seal either.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Agreed, but Jay could block in space --- he knew how to get in between the ball carrier and the tackler. He just couldn't block in line well, but he at least tried to seal.

Jarwin and Schultz wiff in space and can't block in line or seal either.
Let’s face it, blocking is more about desire than anything else. I don’t claim to know what the team does in practice. Maybe they don’t have their TEs blocking much in practice. No idea. But Schultz is big enough that he should be a satisfactory blocker. Hopefully he’ll improve. He’s still a pretty young player. Jarwin is just a big receiver and will never be much of a blocker. He can get downfield though, when he’s actually on the field. LOL.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Lots of posters inn this thread who seem top ignore McGovern as the utility blocker in several positions.

conner01

Reaction score
The only thing I'm positive about Shultz is that he has much better hands then CeeDee Lamb. I don't trust any pass going towards that guy to be completed. He reminds me a lot of last years version of Diontae Johnson. Talented but horrible hands.
Drop pct
Lamb 4.7%
Schultz 3.7% huge difference lol
A few weeks ago people said Schultz had a problem with drops
Pollard has a higher drop pct than either as does Gallup
Raw numbers on drops is misleading
A guy with 50 targets and 3 drops is not the same as a guy with 100 targets and 3 drops
The pct of drops is what’s important

Last edited:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Drop pct
Lamb 4.7%
Schultz 3.7% huge difference lol
A few weeks ago people said Schultz had a problem with drops
No idea if it’s hands or focus for Lamb. Maybe hand eye coordination? Whatever it is, it needs to get fixed.