Can anyone explain this to me please?

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
It's obviously not important in the grand scheme of things, but the idiots on TV never explained this and I was wondering if anyone had an answer.

At the end of the first half, Owens caught a pass and went out of bounds with 2:05 on the clock. The referee on the side of the field waved his hands to stop the clock, and it was stopped. Then a few seconds later, it started again and we went to a commercial break for the two minute warning.

I don't understand why the clock was re-started. Owens clearly went out of bounds intentionally, and the ref clearly waved his arms to stop the clock.

Can anyone explain to me what happened?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
EastDallasCowboy;1709471 said:
It's obviously not important in the grand scheme of things, but the idiots on TV never explained this and I was wondering if anyone had an answer.

At the end of the first half, Owens caught a pass and went out of bounds with 2:05 on the clock. The referee on the side of the field waved his hands to stop the clock, and it was stopped. Then a few seconds later, it started again and we went to a commercial break for the two minute warning.

I don't understand why the clock was re-started. Owens clearly went out of bounds intentionally, and the ref clearly waved his arms to stop the clock.

I had the exact same question in another thread.

I also want to know why on the T.O. catch that was called incomplete when he was pushed out (could have been a forceout), an official immediately signaled to run the clock. Owens had been knocked eight yards out of bounds.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
yup i noticed that, too. and of course, they don't mention it..

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
I'll put $10 on those incidents not being on the Mike Pereira spot on Total Access either.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Faerluna;1709551 said:
I'll put $10 on those incidents not being on the Mike Pereira spot on Total Access either.

LOL.

I understand judgement calls that are subjective. But these are just rules issues. How could they be missed like that?

Sandman52

Reaction score
I asked this to a friend of mine. Apparently, this is the continuous clock rule instituted to keep games moving. It's main benefit is for television scheduling and time allotments.

Inside of 2:00 before half and at end of game, all out-of-bound plays will kill the clock. During any other time, OOB will only stop the clock until the ball is set by the officials (think picking up a 1st down in college FB). It's not the official rules jargon, but I started to analyze this during games after he told me this.

If you also notice, refs are more apt to call a "stop of forward progress" near the OOB line before a player gets knocked out. This keeps the clock moving altogether. Funny that I remember a play involving Moose like this.

I agree that it is confusing and foolish given its true reason.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Sandman52;1709583 said:
I asked this to a friend of mine. Apparently, this is the continuous clock rule instituted to keep games moving. It's main benefit is for television scheduling and time allotments.

Inside of 2:00 before half and at end of game, all out-of-bound plays will kill the clock. During any other time, OOB will only stop the clock until the ball is set by the officials (think picking up a 1st down in college FB). It's not the official rules jargon, but I started to analyze this during games after he told me this.

If you also notice, refs are more apt to call a "stop of forward progress" near the OOB line before a player gets knocked out. This keeps the clock moving altogether. Funny that I remember a play involving Moose like this.

I agree that it is confusing and foolish given its true reason.

I thought they did the sideline rule like you said to speed up the game, but the clock still stopped when going OB inside of 5:00 each half. Is that not right? Adam?

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
This just happened in the Sunday Night game too, so I doubt it is to be singled out against the Boys. Must be a new(er) rule change.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
What a bloody stupid rule change.

When did this happen?

And thank you for answering this, i don't feel like i need a tin foil hat and await the black helicopters now, because i was damn confused when i saw it.

Freyguy

Reaction score
From the Official Rule Book:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing

Timing
The stadium game clock is official. In case it stops or is operating incorrectly, the Line Judge takes over the official timing on the field.

Each period is 15 minutes. The intermission between the periods is two minutes. Halftime is 12 minutes, unless otherwise specified.

On charged team time outs, the Field Judge starts watch and blows whistle after 1 minute 50 seconds, unless television does not utilize the time for commercial. In this case the length of the time out is reduced to 40 seconds.

The Referee will allow necessary time to attend to an injured player, or repair a legal player’s equipment.

Each team is allowed three time outs each half.

Time between plays will be 40 seconds from the end of a given play until the snap of the ball for the next play, or a 25-second interval after certain administrative stoppages and game delays.

Clock will start running when ball is snapped following all changes of team possession.

With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal.

Consecutive team time outs can be taken by opposing teams but the length of the second time out will be reduced to 40 seconds.

When, in the judgment of the Referee, the level of crowd noise prevents the offense from hearing its signals, he can institute a series of procedures which can result in a loss of team time outs or a five-yard penalty against the defensive team.

I know you guys have already figured this out but I just wanted to make it official.

jesusdlg

Reaction score
Man, I'm sorry to say this, but the NFL without Cowboys sucks. I just cant believe some calls today.

I dont know why, but there will be another chance soon, really soon. I just have one question.... Can you see see the NFL without the Cowboys? The NFL needs us, badly.

Man, Im our for today.... ttyl...... bye

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
It turned out to be a non-factor because we scored after it anyways....

But I would almost guarantee that the rule is changed re: force outs. I'm talking about the TO catch down around the end zone.

If the ref rules a catch, he doesn't HAVE to rule it a force out. But if the replay shows that he didn't get both feet down, yet WAS forced out, the instant replay should allow the ref to determine that it was a force out.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
peplaw06;1709865 said:
It turned out to be a non-factor because we scored after it anyways....

But I would almost guarantee that the rule is changed re: force outs. I'm talking about the TO catch down around the end zone.

If the ref rules a catch, he doesn't HAVE to rule it a force out. But if the replay shows that he didn't get both feet down, yet WAS forced out, the instant replay should allow the ref to determine that it was a force out.

I've been saying since Keyshawn's TD against Seattle in 2004. The officials SHOULD have to signal a force-out on any catches when a player was forced out, even if they rule that the receiver got both feet inbounds. If they call it a force-out, it doesn't matter whether his feet were inbounds. But if they say his feet were inbounds anyway and don't call a force-out, the catch can be overturned by replay -- EVEN IF HE WAS FORCED OUT, and even if the official knew he was forced out. You're better off with the ref saying your feet were out but you were forced out than with him saying you got both feet in despite being (almost) forced out.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
EastDallasCowboy;1709471 said:

It's called "Brokeback Reffin'!"

jimmy40

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1709993 said:
I've been saying since Keyshawn's TD against Seattle in 2004. The officials SHOULD have to signal a force-out on any catches when a player was forced out, even if they rule that the receiver got both feet inbounds. If they call it a force-out, it doesn't matter whether his feet were inbounds. But if they say his feet were inbounds anyway and don't call a force-out, the catch can be overturned by replay -- EVEN IF HE WAS FORCED OUT, and even if the official knew he was forced out. You're better off with the ref saying your feet were out but you were forced out than with him saying you got both feet in despite being (almost) forced out.
The force out rule is the stupidest rule in sports. If a receiver can't catch it in bounds then too bad. What the hell is the defense supposed to do, stand there and let the guy see if he can get two feet in bounds? Stupid,stupid rule.

superpunk

Reaction score
jimmy40;1710131 said:
The force out rule is the stupidest rule in sports. If a receiver can't catch it in bounds then too bad. What the hell is the defense supposed to do, stand there and let the guy see if he can get two feet in bounds? Stupid,stupid rule.

How would you stop people from just shoving receivers out of bounds on any sideline grab instead of trying to play the ball? Just wait til he grabs him, and throw him out of bounds.