Can anyone provide some info on Derrick Johnson?

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
I got some info on DJ...

There is no way he drops to us.

nathanlt

Reaction score

Well, do you realize, if everything goes perfectly for Dallas' draft position, we get the #4 overall pick? It means losing to the Commanders, though. That's something I'd like to forget quickly if it happens.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
nathanlt said:

Well, do you realize, if everything goes perfectly for Dallas' draft position, we get the #4 overall pick? It means losing to the Commanders, though. That's something I'd like to forget quickly if it happens.

I dont want Johnson that badly, though if we beat Washington it is possible we could get the #5 or #6 pick. I think DJ could fall there. I wouldnt mind losing to NY in NY.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Every draft board I've seen has Johnson rated in the teens as far as overall prospect.

I like him as a top 10 pick, but only if we're using him as a standup upfield linebacker in the 3-4.

Bobo

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Every draft board I've seen has Johnson rated in the teens as far as overall prospect.

I like him as a top 10 pick, but only if we're using him as a standup upfield linebacker in the 3-4.

Seems like most I've seen have him near the top. Gonna be interesting to see if Ahmad Brooks enters the draft and how teams think he stacks up against DJ.

wick

Reaction score
Johnson was the best defensive player on the field the moment he stepped onto the turf as a true freshman. He has rare explosive athleticism at the linebacker position...he closes on fast running backs and quarterbacks in a way that doesn't seem possible. His sideline to sideline speed is unparalleled at the college level right now. He has outstanding instincts...he's always around the ball both when chasing and when in coverage. He is an explosive hitter who brings guys down with vicious blows, evidenced by his eight forced fumbles in 11 games so far this year. He is a ballhawk in coverage.

Throughout his career he's been used in three distinct ways: as a freshman, he was an edge rusher/disruptor, a role he was perfect for and should have been cast in more frequently throughout his career. In his sophomore and junior years, under the brutal tutelage of Carl Reese, he was the team's de facto middle linebacker. He was excellent in this role as well, but it robbed him of the opportunity to make more big plays. As a senior under Greg Robinson, he was a traditional 4-3 outside linebacker. Obviously he was successful in this role as well, winning the Butkus award.

Johnson one real weakness and one potential weakness. He is not a form tackler and can drive you mad at times by attempting to shoulder block a ball carrier instead of bringing him down with a proper wrap up. This is a technique issue and can be fixed, but it's a weakness right now. He's also not built like a traditional linebacker, being more high cut and, IMO, lacking the body type to carry 250 pounds. He looks like he's topped out at 235.

Texas has had some special defensive talents in recent years: Casey Hampton, Shaun Rogers, Marcus Tubbs, Rod Wright, Cory Redding, Quentin Jammer, and Nathan Vasher, to name most of them. There's no question that Johnson is a cut above these players. He is a game-changer, and elite prospect you take without question if you have the opportunity.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I believe DJ's problems in the NFL will be similar to Lavar Arrington's problems in the NFL. He's great at freelancing, but can he play in a system and a designed role and still make big plays. That's why I like him as a 3-4 outside linebacker, because I think the scheme that he would excell in is running upfield. I don't like him as a chase and persuit linebacker, at least not as a Top 10 pick.

I still think he can add weight in an NFL offseason program. The UT strength and conditioning program has never impressed me. OU's players are noticably stronger and better conditioned than UT's every year.

wick

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I believe DJ's problems in the NFL will be similar to Lavar Arrington's problems in the NFL. He's great at freelancing, but can he play in a system and a designed role and still make big plays. That's why I like him as a 3-4 outside linebacker, because I think the scheme that he would excell in is running upfield. I don't like him as a chase and persuit linebacker, at least not as a Top 10 pick.

Johnson has not been able to freelance since his freshman year.

wick

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Ive heard alot of people say Ahmad Brooks is better than DJ, or rather will be in the NFL.

Ryan Leaf was going to be better than Peyton Manning, according to many. This is typical when one player has a lot of hype. A large segment of pundits will go the other way to be different.

ghst187

Reaction score
Here's what you need to know about DJ...
He's incredibly, ridiculously good. He has a DB's athleticism and nearly the speed. He makes plays....every game. There isn't a game where he disappears. He shows up in every game and makes a big difference.
One of the more dominating LB's out of college since Arrington, just not as big. He's good in coverage because he has the speed, he's great in run defense, and he's phenomenal at rushing the passer. He could run down squirrely guys like Mcflabb and Culpepper from behind.
His only downside is that he will gamble to make the big play and he's not going to be able to add much more weight to his frame: 230-235 lbs. He could play at 240 or 245 but that's about it.
You never know, he could be the pass rusher that we need, just not from the DE position.
I haven't seen Brooks play as much but everyone says similar things about him. Brooks is bigger and could possibly move to ILB for us.
As far as DL goes...
Rod Wright and Erasmus James are probably my top two DL guys followed distantly by Antajj Hawthorn, Marcus Spears, whatever his name is from BC the DE, and Pollack. I don't think any of them except maybe Rod Wright (who may not even declare for the draft) will be worth our first pick as we could end up picking between 5-9. Any of them will be worth our second first though.
DJ however, easily worth our first first. He's a playa.

Overall, I think we need to fix the DL via FA and look to draft BPA's, difference makers.

Woods

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Here's what you need to know about DJ...
He's incredibly, ridiculously good. He has a DB's athleticism and nearly the speed. He makes plays....every game. There isn't a game where he disappears. He shows up in every game and makes a big difference.
One of the more dominating LB's out of college since Arrington, just not as big. He's good in coverage because he has the speed, he's great in run defense, and he's phenomenal at rushing the passer. He could run down squirrely guys like Mcflabb and Culpepper from behind.
His only downside is that he will gamble to make the big play and he's not going to be able to add much more weight to his frame: 230-235 lbs. He could play at 240 or 245 but that's about it.
You never know, he could be the pass rusher that we need, just not from the DE position.
I haven't seen Brooks play as much but everyone says similar things about him. Brooks is bigger and could possibly move to ILB for us.
As far as DL goes...
Rod Wright and Erasmus James are probably my top two DL guys followed distantly by Antajj Hawthorn, Marcus Spears, whatever his name is from BC the DE, and Pollack. I don't think any of them except maybe Rod Wright (who may not even declare for the draft) will be worth our first pick as we could end up picking between 5-9. Any of them will be worth our second first though.
DJ however, easily worth our first first. He's a playa.

Overall, I think we need to fix the DL via FA and look to draft BPA's, difference makers.

Nice post.

Who do you consider your top 6-8 players, assuming they declare for the Draft as of right now?

ghst187

Reaction score
I'll give you my top tier overall talents coming out assuming some folks declare that are jrs* (not slanted toward DC needs)
Tier 1 (in no particular order)
QB Aaron Rogers; kid is very good, accurate, leader.

RB Cedric Benson; should be a very good pro, running style probably more suited to pro game

CB Antrel Rolle; gamer, playmaker, always around the ball, great CB size and speed, reminds me of TNew in college

WR Mike Williams; IMO will be the face of a franchise like TO is to the iggles, flat out makes plays and TD catches with ridiculous size and hands; redzone terror

DT Rod Wright*; very athletic DT, 6'5 310 with Leon Lett attributes i.e. quickness, agility, athleticism; could add another 20 pounds and you wouldn't notice. Only DT worth a top 10 in this draft

OT Alex Barron; pro bowl T by year 2

LB Derrick Johnson; best defensive player in the draft

QB Matt Leinert (said he's not coming out but we'll see if the $$ doesn't tempt him)

Tier II
DE Marcus Spears
DE Kiwi from BC
DE Matt Roth
DE Erasmus James
DT Shaun Cody
DE Dan Cody
LB Ahmad Brooks (he might be a Tier I guy)
DE David Pollack
DT Mike Patterson
CB Marlin Jackson
OT Jamaal Brown
WR Braylon Edwards
RB Cadillac Williams
RB Ronnie Brown
CB Carlos Rogers
DT Antajj Hawthorn
WR Terrence Murphy (he's a sleeper pick, he'll do better in the pros)
CB Corey Webster
S Donte Nicholson
S Jamaal Brimmer
S James Butler
S Brodney Poole (here's a guy I'd like to snag in round 2)
T Michael Munoz
C Vince Carter
WR Marc Clayton
WR Craphonso Thorpe
LB Barret Ruud
LB Lance Mitchell
OG David Baas (if he hadn't been playing Center this season due to team needs, he'd be in Tier I. Best OG coming out in a while. Pro bowl by year 3. May last until the second round where he'd be an absolute steal)

scottsp

Reaction score
Tio said:

We know so little about the draft right now. It's just tough to know who all will be in the draft at this point and who will be slotted where. Actually, we won't know that much until about a week prior.

With linebackers, even as good as DJ, there is a bigger premium on other positions. Also, underclassmen will affect the draft too. Hell, we gotta wait to get combine/workout numbers before we can even pretend to have an idea about things.

We don't know who drops to us or even where we draft.

scottsp

Reaction score
wick said:
Ryan Leaf was going to be better than Peyton Manning, according to many. This is typical when one player has a lot of hype. A large segment of pundits will go the other way to be different.

That is SO not a valid comparison.

scottsp

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Ive heard alot of people say Ahmad Brooks is better than DJ, or rather will be in the NFL.

Funny thing is, the workout numbers could tell the story between these two great linebackers. I prefer DJ, but NFL personnel people are all about speed and lateral movement with LBs. It's going to be interesting to see how they compare.

ghst187

Reaction score
scottsp said:
Funny thing is, the workout numbers could tell the story between these two great linebackers. I prefer DJ, but NFL personnel people are all about speed and lateral movement with LBs. It's going to be interesting to see how they compare.

I think they'll probably both be really good.
Combine numbers are such a waste. You know all you need to know about a player when you see him under the lights in a big conference rivalry game. Cuz that's the kind of player he'll be, that's the speed he'll run, that's how high he'll jump, that's how quick he'll be, that's how much weight he'll lift, and those are the plays he will make.
The combine has made more guys "busts" by inflating their values and more guys "gems" for devaluing playmakers that's its a joke and a waste IMO.

I remember watching Anquan Boldon (sp?) at Florida St. The guy was amazing. He made play after play, even came in as 3rd string QB and threw a TD. What an athlete. Made catching the ball look effortless. Then he runs like a 4.8 at the combine and drops to mid-late 2nd round. Turns out to be the RoY next season.
Name any guy labeled a "bust" and you can probably point to the combine for inflating his value.

scottsp

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I think they'll probably both be really good.
Combine numbers are such a waste. You know all you need to know about a player when you see him under the lights in a big conference rivalry game. Cuz that's the kind of player he'll be, that's the speed he'll run, that's how high he'll jump, that's how quick he'll be, that's how much weight he'll lift, and those are the plays he will make.
The combine has made more guys "busts" by inflating their values and more guys "gems" for devaluing playmakers that's its a joke and a waste IMO.

I remember watching Anquan Boldon (sp?) at Florida St. The guy was amazing. He made play after play, even came in as 3rd string QB and threw a TD. What an athlete. Made catching the ball look effortless. Then he runs like a 4.8 at the combine and drops to mid-late 2nd round. Turns out to be the RoY next season.
Name any guy labeled a "bust" and you can probably point to the combine for inflating his value.

They prolly both will be fine NFL players. I was referring to where they will be taken in the draft. Personnel people have a funny way of erring on the side of measureables in such cases. As for me, I think it would be hard to go wrong with either. And I'm a diehard Longhorn fan.