Can Bland Win DPOY?

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
I haven't heard talk of this like we did 2 years ago when Diggs was on that interception tear. But, it may be warranted at this point. 6 picks and 4 TDs....Think about that: 4 TDs, tying an NFL record in 10 games. And he leads the league in WR completion %. He's having a truly remarkable season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was thinking this earlier. But did not post about it yet.

When was the last time, if ever did a DB win DPOY, maybe Deion?

If he gets a few more Pick 6”s, and say, double digit INT”s. He sure should be a top candidate.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
I posed this same question a few weeks back. I think it's possible.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
I was thinking this earlier. But did not post about it yet.

When was the last time, if ever did a DB win DPOY, maybe Deion?

If he gets a few more Pick 6”s, and say, double digit INT”s. He sure should be a top candidate.
I think this will start gaining steam this week. IF he has a big game Thursday on that national stage, then I think the media will really start to tout him as a candidate.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Diggs didn't get a single vote in 2021, with 11 INTs and two pick-sixes. Of course, Watt had 22.5 sacks. Micah and Donald got the other votes.

It would take nobody putting up massive sack numbers...which is possible, nobody's running away with it yet.

J817

Reaction score
Diggs didn’t get it in 2021 and he had 2 TDs to along with his 11 interceptions. Right now Bland only has 2 more TDs then Diggs had (with less INTs). Idk if stats are the lone factor to determine if a DB would win DPOY. Where does Bland rank in PFF? How successful are QBs throwing to his side? What are the game stats of all of the WRs Bland has covered after a game? Is Bland truly a shut down corner?

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I haven't heard talk of this like we did 2 years ago when Diggs was on that interception tear. But, it may be warranted at this point. 6 picks and 4 TDs....Think about that: 4 TDs, tying an NFL record in 10 games. And he leads the league in WR completion %. He's having a truly remarkable season.
Wondering the same thing?
The dude is Ballin at a high level.
:flagwave::dance::thumbup:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not a corner, but if he gets 10 picks and one more for td, hard to argue.
Deion had 6 INT’s with 3 pick-sixes when he won DPOY in 1994. Bland currently has 6 INT‘s and 4 pick-sixes which tied an NFL record. We still have 7 games to go, and he might get some votes if he can add to what he’s done but I think Miles Garrett will win it.

gmb1

Reaction score
They really favor those big guys lineman and linebackers. If he gets 6 pick 6s he has to be a strong candidate.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deion had 6 INT’s with 3 pick-sixes when he won DPOY in 1994. Bland currently has 6 INT‘s and 4 pick-sixes which tied an NFL record. We still have 7 games to go, and he might get some votes if he can add to what he’s done but I think Miles Garrett will win it.
Gilmore won it in 2019 with 6 picks and 2 pick-sixes as well. Barrett and Jones had 19.5 and 19.0 sacks that year: no clear leader in that category and nobody getting to 20 probably helped create space for voters to look elsewhere.

Kevin Greene led the league with only 14 sacks in '94 when Deion won, same kind of deal.

This year, a few guys are trending toward 20 sacks, but there's no clear leader, so...maybe?

Diggs didn't get a single vote in 2021. Watt had 22.5 sacks, and Diggs had the rep of giving up a lot of yards and big plays (which he did). Bland doesn't have that working against him, but he's also not at all well known, which can only hurt.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Gilmore won it in 2019 with 6 picks and 2 pick-sixes as well. Barrett and Jones had 19.5 and 19.0 sacks that year: no clear leader in that category and nobody getting to 20 probably helped create space for voters to look elsewhere.

Kevin Greene led the league with only 14 sacks in '94 when Deion won, same kind of deal.

This year, a few guys are trending toward 20 sacks, but there's no clear leader, so...maybe?

Diggs didn't get a single vote in 2021. Watt had 22.5 sacks, and Diggs had the rep of giving up a lot of yards and big plays (which he did). Bland doesn't have that working against him, but he's also not at all well known, which can only hurt.
If a pass rusher has a big year they usually win DPOY. If the vote was this week Miles Garrett would win. He completely took over a game three weeks ago. He had 3.5 sacks and 5 solo tackles. I’m believe he had at least one batted pass. He completely wrecked the game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Shouldn't Parsons win it?
Against the Giants last week he didn’t even have a single tackle. He’ll be in the running like he has been the past two seasons but he won’t win it.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Against the Giants last week he didn’t even have a single tackle. He’ll being the running like he has been the past two seasons but he’s not going to win it.
Because they didn't throw at him until the 2nd half and he picked it off.

If he gets a 5th pick six he should be in the mix.