Can Daron Bland eclipse Trevon Diggs 11 ints?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think in all the pick 6 hysteria, it's kinda lost that Bland actually has 7 ints through 11 games. For comparisons sake, in 2021, Diggs had 8 through 11 games and got 3 more in the final 5. Can Bland tie it? I feel like Bland is a bit hot right now and I can see him getting another tonight, and the only games where it will be difficult to get at least 1 are Miami and Philly.

So do we think he can tie Diggs at 11 or pass him with 12?

Either way, I'm really looking forward to a healthy Diggs and Bland in 2024!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think breaking the record may have an impact on the chances he gets in the remaining games.

If you look at his five picks returned for touchdowns they were against the Giants, Patriots, Rams, Panthers and Commanders, which are all teams having disappointing seasons.

To be clear I am in no way diminishing Bland's interceptions but rather pointing out that those teams had less fear in challenging him.

However, given the "Bland Breaks NFL Record" news headlines plastered everywhere this past week, I think the upcoming teams the Cowboys play are going to be more careful throwing Bland's direction, especially with those comeback and out routes.

I think they will challenge Bland, but I think they will do it more over the middle with crossing routes and down the field with post routes to keep him from facing and seeing the quarterback throw the ball.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think breaking the record may have an impact on the chances he gets in the remaining games.

If you look at his five picks returned for touchdowns they were against the Giants, Patriots, Rams, Panthers and Commanders, which are all teams having disappointing seasons.

To be clear I am in no way diminishing Bland's interceptions but rather pointing out that those teams had less fear in challenging him.

However, given the "Bland Breaks NFL Record" news headlines plastered everywhere this past week, I think the upcoming teams the Cowboys play are going to be more careful throwing Bland's direction, especially with those comeback and out routes.

I think they will challenge Bland, but I think they will do it more over the middle and down the field with post routes to keep him from facing and seeing the quarterback eyes and throws.
I realize you prefaced it with a disclaimer but every team has those teams on their schedule including in our division and yet they don't have all those pick sixes against the very same quarterback so let's be clear it should not matter it may matter but it shouldn't because on the 17 game schedule the entire league usually plays each other and they're not doing this as a matter of fact it's only been done one other time right in the history of the NFL there's been tons of bad teams no one compares how you built your stats up as long as you have them and if they're record setting stats they should stand on their own not who you got them against...

It is a record on its own now you want him to set 2 records so he needs the pick six record and the interception record in order to be defensive player of the year I mean ask Trayvon diggs because he kind of got screwed he should have been defensive player of the year and they picked two TJ daughter I don't remember now.... So it's usually a defensive end he's gonna have to do a lot to get it but at least he's on the Cowboys he's getting a lot of publicity over it they made a big deal out of it so he has a shot..

But to answer your question yes if he sets the NFL record in total interceptions and pick sixes oh he's a shoe in I mean there should be 100 to 0 on voting...

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I think there is not much of a chance he does, at some point QB's will stop throwing his way which will put lots more pressure on Gilmore

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I realize you prefaced it with a disclaimer but every team has those teams on their schedule including in our division and yet they don't have all those pick sixes against the very same quarterback so let's be clear it should not matter it may matter but it shouldn't because on the 17 game schedule the entire league usually plays each other and they're not doing this as a matter of fact it's only been done one other time right in the history of the NFL there's been tons of bad teams no one compares how you built your stats up as long as you have them and if they're record setting stats they should stand on their own not who you got them against...

It is a record on its own now you want him to set 2 records so he needs the pick six record and the interception record in order to be defensive player of the year I mean ask Trayvon diggs because he kind of got screwed he should have been defensive player of the year and they picked two TJ daughter I don't remember now.... So it's usually a defensive end he's gonna have to do a lot to get it but at least he's on the Cowboys he's getting a lot of publicity over it they made a big deal out of it so he has a shot..

But to answer your question yes if he sets the NFL record in total interceptions and pick sixes oh he's a shoe in I mean there should be 100 to 0 on voting...
What are you talking about? I wasn't even talking about the quality or validitity of his record and I clearly stated for the sensitive people that I was in no way questioning it. I also didn't ask any questions so not sure what question you are answering.

I realize some fans have a need to question every accomplishment and others have a need to defend every accomplishment, but my post had nothing to do with either of those.

My whole point in mentioning the teams he made those catches against was they had less reason to play it safe while teams like the 49ers, Eagles, etc. will likely be more careful in the routes they challenge him on, especially after this week's constant headlines of his record-breaking accomplishment.

My response was to the OP's question of, "Can Daron Bland eclipse Trevon Diggs 11 ints?" and that will greatly depend on the opportunities he gets.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just have a pick 6 in the Superbowl
200w.gif

gtb1943

Reaction score
Most picks come when teams have to throw. Unless you have a turnover machine at QB.
Teams have to throw when they are behind and the clock is ticking.
Those are the circumstances that lead to lots of picks
Bland has a shot as long as the boys are blowing teams out.
Because you can absolutely BET that right now every QB we face is thinking about Bland and wants nothing to do with him and will avoid going near him if they can

JayFord

Reaction score
he might i mean hes as consistent as my 2am bowel movement which is consistent if i must say so myself and my bed sheets can confirm

Mark

Reaction score
I think there is not much of a chance he does, at some point QB's will stop throwing his way which will put lots more pressure on Gilmore
Which is a good thing for the defense, taking 1/2 - 1/3 of the field away from the offense.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Just have a pick 6 in the Superbowl
........for the win. The other team is driving the field looking to tie it up in the last minute of the game. Cowboys defense is on their heels. The QB snaps the ball, scans the field, and makes his throw! Bland runs in front of the receiver as he snags it out of the air and returns it 70 yards for the game winning touchdown. Cowboys seal the win!!!

OK OK, I'll snap back to reality. :muttley: What an epic way that would be to conclude the season though.:grin:

cowboyed

Reaction score
How many interceptions did Diggs run into the end zone since he was signed by the Cowboys?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I think that nobody should ever "expect" a player to get to 8 INTs, regardless of how well they are playing. We shouldn't expect Diggs to hit 8 INTs again, either. Only twice in the last decade has the league-leader had more than 8 picks.

4-5 is excellent INT production.

quickccc

Reaction score
As long as teams continue to want to tick and tack at his side, ..one of those throws is gonna
come late arriving, ..one of those throws Bland is gonna time it just right to make that patented
drive - forward break on the ball ..and he just has a bee-line knack for taking it to the house.

Once Bland has his hands on the ball - its HIS,... even if it means power-wrestling the ball away from the WR.
If he were still the slot guy inside, i doubt he would've had the clear pathway to the house that he
does on the outside.

As record setting as he's been, Bland is still a work in progress pure coverage wise, .he's clearly at his best
when he is going forward - driving towards the QB, ..than he is in reverse downfield coverage.

The better " double-move " WRs probably can get him at this stage. but he's only gave up a deep TD
vs Philly WR Devonta Smith,..and a couple vs Chargers Kennan Allen which very luckily QB Hebert
was way off his accuracy game.

quickccc

Reaction score
Bland would need 5 more INTs to tie Dogg/Walls all time Cowboys single season record.
,.. and maybe he will have a couple of multiple INTs games before the year is over ..

... hopefully one of those multiple INT games will come vs Philly on Dec. 10th..... ;)