Can Diggs and Bland catch the great Mel Renfro?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Was that the same time when the Giants had Jason Sehorn? No I think that was earlier.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With all the passing today Diggs and Bland have a shot. QBs weren’t nearly as accurate back in the old days. The changing rules have perfected QBs. Completion percentages and passer ratings continue to go up.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
With all the passing today Diggs and Bland have a shot. QBs weren’t nearly as accurate back in the old days. The changing rules have perfected QBs. Completion percentages and passer ratings continue to go up.
Quarterbacks really didn’t become truly accurate until the mid 80s I think. Although there were some pretty accurate quarterbacks before that. Bart star, Roger, Terry.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Quarterbacks really didn’t become truly accurate until the mid 80s I think. Although there were some pretty accurate quarterbacks before that. Bart star, Roger, Terry.
They didn’t become truly accurate until probably the 90s. Steve Young and Aikman were real accurate. The more the rules changed to open up the passing game and protect the QBs the more accurate QBs have become. During the 70s, Ken Stabler was the most accurate passer with a completion percentage of 59%. Approaching 60% was unheard of back then. In today’s game most QBs are averaging around 65%. QBs passer rating have gone way up over the years all due to the rule changes and overall improved QB play.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a tough one for me. I think Mel will always be number One in my book, along with Cliff, however, was it easier to play Cornerback in those days?. You got to mug the receiver all the way down the field until the ball was thrown. Hummmm.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This is a tough one for me. I think Mel will always be number One in my book, along with Cliff, however, was it easier to play Cornerback in those days?. You got to mug the receiver all the way down the field until the ball was thrown. Hummmm.
Rules didn't favor the passer, but was little passing to intercept.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They didn’t become truly accurate until probably the 90s. Steve Young and Aikman were real accurate. The more the rules changed to open up the passing game and protect the QBs the more accurate QBs have become. During the 70s, Ken Stabler was the most accurate passer with a completion percentage of 59%. Approaching 60% was unheard of back then. In today’s game most QBs are averaging around 65%. QBs passer rating have gone way up over the years all due to the rule changes and overall improved QB play.
Kenny Stabler, how quick I forgot.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Which IMO makes his record impressive as hell.
It’s definitely impressive but QBs weren’t nearly as accurate back then because of the rules. You could harass a receiver all the way down the field and hit QBs high, low and late. QBs couldn’t just throw the ball away outside the tackle box or they would get a grounding call. It was a lot tougher on QBs during the 60s and 70s. It led to a lot more errant passes.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It’s definitely impressive but QBs weren’t nearly as accurate back then because of the rules. You could harass a receiver all the way down the field and hit QBs high, low and late. QBs couldn’t just throw the ball away outside the tackle box or they would get a grounding call. It was a lot tougher on QBs during the 60s and 70s. It led to a lot more errant passes.
You're right, probably an even trade-off. So many things just take for granted with today's passing game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You're right, probably an even trade-off. So many things just take for granted with today's passing game.
Back in the 60s and 70s the NFL was a three yards and a cloud of dust league. Teams ran the ball a majority of the time. All the great Miami teams did was run the ball. Nowadays you have slot receivers along with multiple TEs which has made a big impact on the passing game. A lot of the WRs are huge with great speed. It’s very difficult to defend all the receiving options QBs have, which has caused completion percentages, passing ratings and passing yards to skyrocket. When Staubach led the Cowboys to their first Super Bowl win in 1971 he only attempted 20 or more passes four times that season. He only attempted 51 passes in the Cowboys two playoff games and Super Bowl.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh man did I love watching Mel Renfro. I thought he was the best CB ever. Happy birthday old timer!!!

Now we have a couple of pretty ones. Can they catch his Cowboys record? Great video.

They could but when I think of Mel and his HOF career I don’t think of interceptions.

Motorola

Reaction score
Oh man did I love watching Mel Renfro. I thought he was the best CB ever. Happy birthday old timer!!!

Now we have a couple of pretty ones. Can they catch his Cowboys record? Great video.

I know- he played for the Cowboys duriing the first two decades of their existence - hence he is unknown to the vast majority of Dallas fans today.
But I was around and saw him play.
Mel Renfro is the most unappreciated Cowboys ROH member, and one of a number of Pro Football HOF members who I feel don't get the recognition on their contribution to their teams.

Cowboys historians + media people past and present should get together and start producing documentaries about the long-ago greats who wore The Star on their helmets.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't expect either one of them to even get in the neighborhood.

Motorola

Reaction score

Cowboys have two linebackers that are in the top ten overall with interceptions for the franchise ___Lee Roy Jordan with 32, Chuck Howley with 24.