Can DJ Moore be an effective 1 WR in the NFL?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DJ Moore has become a hot name right now, likely pushing himself well into round 1 with an outstanding combine.

The question I pose to you fellow Zoners: Can DJ Moore become an effective #1 WR in the NFL

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes, he's everything you want in a #1. The only thing that was holding him back was the supposed lack of height. He runs every route, and he's physical. And he's smart and reads defenses.
Measuring at 6'0 sure helped

marchetta

Reaction score
DJ Moore WR Maryland

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

DJ has excellent athletic talent and a high football IQ to impact for the team that selects him the day after the draft. He shows excellent quickness and his body type shows power and strength in both his lower and upper body. DJ has excellent soft hands to catch the ball and excellent eye/hand coordination to make the difficult contested catch. He has running back size and abilities to gain yards after the catch and move the chains. DJ ‘s ability to adjust to the ball in the air and get open with quickness in and out of his breaks makes him an impact player in the right offense. In short, DJ is a weapon and a match up night mare for defensive coordinators.

CONCERNS
DJ is a slot receiver with running back skills very much like Randall Cobb. He will struggle if used as an outside receiver because of a lack of height and pure speed. He has good speed but he is more quick than fast and unless he is matched up with a strong armed QB who can get the ball into tight areas, DJ’s impact position will be on special teams and as a slot receiver.

BOTTOM LINE
There is no doubt in my mind that DJ is an impact offensive player for the team that selects him, but he has to be in the right offense with the right play calling coach. Jarvis Landry is a perfect example of the impact DJ could have with the right team. He is strong and quick and with his running back size and strength and will gain yardage after the catch very much like Jarvis has. On the other hand he also has the same athletic talent as Randall Cobb and Randall has struggled to impact consistently because of injuries and the offensive system that he is in. So don’t select DJ if you’re team’s offense and offensive play caller doesn’t respect the impact slot receivers can have for your offense. I do understand the thinking that you can’t run your offense through the slot receiver position for a 16 game schedule. Nevertheless this position is becoming more of an impact, play making position and DJ is a play maker and an impact player and adding him to your team will only open up your offense. Making a defense defend the middle of the field allows for sweeps and screens and the lateral speed receivers on the outside, to be in more single coverage situations. Safeties and linebackers will be a step late helping out on these types of plays when their priority becomes defending the middle of the field. Of course when they do spread out to help out that leaves the middle of the field open for those pass catching tight ends and slot receivers like DJ who can run inside or outside and catch quick passes on the inside or outside and gain that all important yardage after the catch to move the chains.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
DJ Moore WR Maryland

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

DJ has excellent athletic talent and a high football IQ to impact for the team that selects him the day after the draft. He shows excellent quickness and his body type shows power and strength in both his lower and upper body. DJ has excellent soft hands to catch the ball and excellent eye/hand coordination to make the difficult contested catch. He has running back size and abilities to gain yards after the catch and move the chains. DJ ‘s ability to adjust to the ball in the air and get open with quickness in and out of his breaks makes him an impact player in the right offense. In short, DJ is a weapon and a match up night mare for defensive coordinators.

CONCERNS
DJ is a slot receiver with running back skills very much like Randall Cobb. He will struggle if used as an outside receiver because of a lack of height and pure speed. He has good speed but he is more quick than fast and unless he is matched up with a strong armed QB who can get the ball into tight areas, DJ’s impact position will be on special teams and as a slot receiver.

BOTTOM LINE
There is no doubt in my mind that DJ is an impact offensive player for the team that selects him, but he has to be in the right offense with the right play calling coach. Jarvis Landry is a perfect example of the impact DJ could have with the right team. He is strong and quick and with his running back size and strength and will gain yardage after the catch very much like Jarvis has. On the other hand he also has the same athletic talent as Randall Cobb and Randall has struggled to impact consistently because of injuries and the offensive system that he is in. So don’t select DJ if you’re team’s offense and offensive play caller doesn’t respect the impact slot receivers can have for your offense. I do understand the thinking that you can’t run your offense through the slot receiver position for a 16 game schedule. Nevertheless this position is becoming more of an impact, play making position and DJ is a play maker and an impact player and adding him to your team will only open up your offense. Making a defense defend the middle of the field allows for sweeps and screens and the lateral speed receivers on the outside, to be in more single coverage situations. Safeties and linebackers will be a step late helping out on these types of plays when their priority becomes defending the middle of the field. Of course when they do spread out to help out that leaves the middle of the field open for those pass catching tight ends and slot receivers like DJ who can run inside or outside and catch quick passes on the inside or outside and gain that all important yardage after the catch to move the chains.

Boylheart's evaluations have never impressed me.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Boylheart's evaluations have never impressed me.
I’d like to know what makes Terrance Williams an outside guy but Moore a slot guy. Moore literally beats Williams in every category except 2 inches of height. Moore has bigger hands, longer arms, more weight, faster 40, better 3 cone, better vertical, better broad jump, I mean everything lol. But the lazy comparisons say he’s only slot.

Kirk on the other hand I can see why he’s designated for the slot

NolanRyan77

Reaction score
Honestly it does not matter if DJ Moore is a number 1 or not. All the talk of Calvin Ridley has been that he;s a high end #2. DJ Moore has a better build, can handle the punishment of the NFL, has stronger hands than Ridley, and apparently is faster (by one hundredth), and way more explosive (see broad jump and vert). I would draft DJ at 19 although it may be 5-8 picks rich. I don't care.

kskboys

Reaction score
Honestly it does not matter if DJ Moore is a number 1 or not. All the talk of Calvin Ridley has been that he;s a high end #2. DJ Moore has a better build, can handle the punishment of the NFL, has stronger hands than Ridley, and apparently is faster (by one hundredth), and way more explosive (see broad jump and vert). I would draft DJ at 19 although it may be 5-8 picks rich. I don't care.
I think he'd be a reach at 19. Might be just a slot WR.

kskboys

Reaction score
DJ Moore has become a hot name right now, likely pushing himself well into round 1 with an outstanding combine.

The question I pose to you fellow Zoners: Can DJ Moore become an effective #1 WR in the NFL
That's a stretch. Maybe.

kskboys

Reaction score
If DJ Moore is just a slot receiver than kirk and ridley are as well.
Possible, but since both have much better long speed than Moore, not seeing the comparison.

Kirk is a slot guy who has the skillset to be an outside WR. Unknown at this point.

Ridley lined up all over for ALA, including the slot and was their #1 WR, so I don't see that comparison at all.

NolanRyan77

Reaction score
Possible, but since both have much better long speed than Moore, not seeing the comparison.

Kirk is a slot guy who has the skillset to be an outside WR. Unknown at this point.

Ridley lined up all over for ALA, including the slot and was their #1 WR, so I don't see that comparison at all.
I don't understand how you think they both have better long speed. The 40 is a test of long speed and DJ Moore ran faster than both Ridley and Kirk....

reddyuta

Reaction score
DJ Moore WR Maryland

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

CONCERNS

BOTTOM LINE
He lined up all all over the line.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
The 40 is not a test of long speed.
You clearly have a bias/agenda. You haven’t explained why Moore can’t be a outside wr. Just that it’s a (stretch). I already compared him to our outside wr Terrance Williams. Is a 2 inch difference that critical to you? Keep in mind that Moore has longer arms than Williams. So why can he be our starter but Moore can’t?