Can Jarron Gilbert play the OLB position?

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
We would be lucky if Gilbert is there at 51

Jordan55

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2685755 said:
We would be lucky if Gilbert is there at 51

If Gilbert is there, would he be our choice? I'm still leaning towards offensive line

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
After reading Velas article I'm thinking we could trade up for him.

Cowboys Draft 2009: Quantity or Quality?

tiny.v3808.gif
by Rafael Vela on Mar 11, 2009 7:00 AM EDT
In 1990, the Dallas Cowboys entered the draft with the most picks of any team, courtesy of the Herschel Walker trade. Many observers expected Jimmy Johnson to wheel and deal in order to secure the players of his choice.
Johnson shuffled his picks, but not in the way most Cowboys fans expected. He burned some to move up in the first round and select Emmitt Smith. He used more in the 3rd to obtain his former Miami DL Jimmie Jones. Then, he threw a handful of picks at the Oakland Raiders for the rights to Notre Dame DB Stan Smagala. The Cowboys picked just three players on the second day.
Jimmy knew what he was doing. Look at that '90 draft top to bottom and you'll see one of the weakest crops from that decade. Jimmy figured the late rounds were a waste of time and hit his favored salsa and chips early.
This year may bring a similar scenario. The Cowboys currently hold nine selections, thought none in the first round. The Cowboys should receive another two compensatory picks, for losing Jacques Reeves and Julius Jones in last year's free agent session, giving the team eleven picks overall.

star-divide.v5547.jpg

The possibility of an uncapped 2010 means a solid team like the Cowboys could forego some of their picks. The team does not have eleven holes to fill. If it could produce another draft crop like 2008's, it would be happy. Dallas selected just six players last year, but the first five -- Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, Martellus Bennett, Tashard Choice and Orlando Scandrick -- all made significant contributions their rookie seasons.
I was told this week that any draftees cut during trainin camp this year will have their salaries count against this year's cap. That means Dallas could accrue more dead money should it use all eleven picks and see only five or six make the final squad. A source hinted that Dallas might seriously consider packaging picks to move up, in order to lessen the risk with its early picks and perhaps trade for 2010 selections if it finds itself at an uninspring section of its draft board.
Regarding the draft, I was told that pro days end this week and that the scouting department will reconvene next week to put the final touches on its board.
Look at the usual suspects -- offensive line, nose tackle and linebacker. Wide receiver will also receive consideration if the team finds value and don't rule out another safety, even though Dallas has made many changes to that spot in recent days, moving Scandrick to free safety if only part time, and adding veteran Gerald Sensenbaugh.
Combine the new cap rules with Jerry's itchy phone fingers and we may see another active weekend of trading when the draft rolls around.

jday

Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2685706 said:
After watching this, you will see why it a fair question. Rather he can or not I still want this guy with our 1st pick.
http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/jarron_gilbert_video/
Anatomy of a prospect: San Jose DT Jarron Gilbert
6:12 AM Thu, Mar 12, 2009 | Permalink
Rick Gosselin E-mail News tips
B.J. Raji of Boston College is the top defensive tackle on most NFL draft boards. He fits the NFL prototype at 6-1 1/2, 337 pounds. He's a stop sign for your run defense and applied great inside push in the pass rush at Boston College last season with eight sacks.

But the tackle at whom all of the NFL is taking a harder look in this draft process is Jarron Gilbert of San Jose State. He was an even more productive college player than Raji, leading all NCAA defensive tackles with 9 1/2 sacks and all NCAA players at any position in tackles-for-loss with 22. And his workout at the Indianapolis combine was off the charts for his position.

At 6-5 (the tallest tackle in the draft) and 288 pounds, Gilbert ran a 4.81 40-yard dash. That makes him the fastest tackle in the draft. Raji, by the way, ran a 5.12. Gilbert also has the longest arms of any tackle in the draft at 36 3/4 inches. Long arms keep blockers off your body. Raji has 32-inch arms. Gilbert also is the most athletic tackle in this draft with a vertical jump of 35 1/2 inches. Raji had a vertical jump of 32 inches.

Gilbert has the speed and athleticism to slide outside to end in a 3-4 scheme, which increases his value on draft day. He also has the blood lines to play in the NFL. His father Darren was a second-round draft pick of the New Orleans Saints in 1985 who went on to play four seasons in the NFL.

jday

Reaction score
Jarron Gilbert, if he is still available, would without out question, regardless of who falls to the 51st pick, would be the best player available for the Cowboys. His frame reminds me of Jay Ratliff; in fact, add 15 pounds and he's a Jay Ratliff clone. Who better to spell Jay at NT then someone who provides the same challenge to the opposing offensive line. Definitely a gamer. Don't get me wrong, he's not the BPA in the entire draft, but he's the best who could possibly fall to the Cowboys.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't think he has Ratliff's motor, though... Right? Isn't that the knock on him?

Those guys always worry me.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2686243 said:
I don't think he has Ratliff's motor, though... Right? Isn't that the knock on him?

Those guys always worry me.

No that's not a knock on him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'd just seen things like these:

Unfortunately, Gilbert's another guy who's been tagged with the lazy label; he's said to not take practice as seriously as he should or consistently play with a high motor.

Weaknesses: Is a one-dimensional defensive tackle; almost always tries to shoot gaps to get into backfield, and if initial charge is stopped, gets tied up and eliminated from plays. Does not consistently play to his potential or with enough intensity.

But I totally admit that sometimes these negatives in internet scouting reports are complete baloney. I've never seen the guy play.

But if he has those stats and no questions, other than needing to gain a few pounds, we won't have any shot at him anyway.