CFZ Can McCarthy fix the penalty problem?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was his offseason mantra to bring more discipline to the Cowboys who led the league in penalties. After 2 seasons under McCarthy the Cowboys are 2nd in penalties .

Are the players in Dallas really just that sloppy, or is there something about the high profile of America’s Team that plays into it? Tin foil hats or not, the end result is that the penalty flags are being thrown a lot and McCarthy is understandably sick of it. He railed on the team’s discipline issues most of last year and has emphasized that point time and time again throughout this offseason and training camp.

Then came the first preseason game. Flags were being thrown left and right, up and down, side to side, and whatever other directions you can think of. It was a sloppy performance all through the night, even before the rain began. By the end of it all, McCarthy’s team had set the worst kind of record.

And how does McCarthy fix it? The coach seems to already have his answer, but Saturday’s exhibition proved it was the wrong solution. Those who have followed this offseason closely know that McCarthy has been especially strict on penalties at every stage. McCarthy has routinely benched an entire position group when one of them committed a penalty in practice.

This rigid approach is not uncommon, though its effectiveness is certainly questionable. So far for the Cowboys, it’s appeared to be wholly ineffective. But why?

It’s entirely possible, maybe even probable, that McCarthy’s intense focus on penalties this offseason is actually leading to even more mental mistakes from his team. Of course Saturday’s game which hardly any starters played might not be a sign of what’s to come. Far be it from me to overreact to a preseason game.

However, if the penalty issues do continue into the regular season, we may look back at this summer and the way McCarthy chose to address the issue as heightening the problem rather than solving it. Given that McCarthy’s solution thus far has more or less been an embodiment of his overall coaching philosophy, that could be a pretty strong indictment of his coaching ability entering a critical third season in Dallas.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coaches need to be tougher on these players during practice.
As well, make the entire team run the play over and over until perfection.

We will see this next game how and if they improve. Maybe not so much worth the 4th team guys. But for sure the 2nd and 3rd team guys.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
McCarthy can't fix this teams penalty problems all by himself. See, McCarthy is not a natural disciplinarian. So, when he tries to punish players, he just ends up pissing them off. I'm pretty sure we've all known someone that was not a natural hard-nosed. And when they try to act like one, it was taken the wrong way. So, McCarthy needs to lean on team leaders, like Prescott and Lawrence to help out.

JayFord

Reaction score
Half of the issue is technique the other half is reputation

The league has an eye on Dallas because they have a reputation for sloppy play so flags are going to come out alot

Now fixing the technique that's where Mccarthy has to earn his birdseed

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He needs to make it a theme this year, a top priority, like Parcells used to do. Or like Jimmy did with fumbling.

Half of the issue is technique the other half is reputation

The league has an eye on Dallas because they have a reputation for sloppy play so flags are going to come out alot

Now fixing the technique that's where Mccarthy has to earn his birdseed

I think it has more to do with Jerry going after Godells' job.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It was his offseason mantra to bring more discipline to the Cowboys who led the league in penalties. After 2 seasons under McCarthy the Cowboys are 2nd in penalties .

Are the players in Dallas really just that sloppy, or is there something about the high profile of America’s Team that plays into it? Tin foil hats or not, the end result is that the penalty flags are being thrown a lot and McCarthy is understandably sick of it. He railed on the team’s discipline issues most of last year and has emphasized that point time and time again throughout this offseason and training camp.

Then came the first preseason game. Flags were being thrown left and right, up and down, side to side, and whatever other directions you can think of. It was a sloppy performance all through the night, even before the rain began. By the end of it all, McCarthy’s team had set the worst kind of record.

And how does McCarthy fix it? The coach seems to already have his answer, but Saturday’s exhibition proved it was the wrong solution. Those who have followed this offseason closely know that McCarthy has been especially strict on penalties at every stage. McCarthy has routinely benched an entire position group when one of them committed a penalty in practice.

This rigid approach is not uncommon, though its effectiveness is certainly questionable. So far for the Cowboys, it’s appeared to be wholly ineffective. But why?

It’s entirely possible, maybe even probable, that McCarthy’s intense focus on penalties this offseason is actually leading to even more mental mistakes from his team. Of course Saturday’s game which hardly any starters played might not be a sign of what’s to come. Far be it from me to overreact to a preseason game.

However, if the penalty issues do continue into the regular season, we may look back at this summer and the way McCarthy chose to address the issue as heightening the problem rather than solving it. Given that McCarthy’s solution thus far has more or less been an embodiment of his overall coaching philosophy, that could be a pretty strong indictment of his coaching ability entering a critical third season in Dallas.
I don't know the "why"
I just know it's a serious problem.
And the buck stops with the head coach.
Hope that whatever the issues this gets handled.

Mannix

Reaction score
90% of the refs are now at the perfect age of growing up hating the Cowboys....all of the old guard is gone. They know that the Goon and his henchman in NY hate the Cowboys, so the refs have carte blanche to do whatever they want with ZERO repercussion...they probably actually believe that they are currying favor.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
90% of the refs are now at the perfect age of growing up hating the Cowboys....all of the old guard is gone. They know that the Goon and his henchman in NY hate the Cowboys, so the refs have carte blanche to do whatever they want with ZERO repercussion...they probably actually believe that they are currying favor.

You sound like a typical, casual armchair fan. :laugh:If you believe that stop watching the games!

Blackrain

Reaction score
I don't think McCarthy coaches any different than he did in Green Bay where the offensive line could pretty much do whatever they wanted without penalties being called.

The referees when officiating Cowboys games seem to have a different set of standards and what worked in Green Bay will not work here Not because McCarthy is coaching different but because I believe Jerry has infuriated the league on different occasions and the team is made to pay the price with penalties.

Until Jerry pays whoever he has to pay to get equal treatment from the refs and be able to play on a level playing field with the rest of the league we are going to have a lot of marginal penalties that don't necessarily get called on other teams but are not so blatant that they can really be singled out all the time

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
No he is wade phillips 2.0 and will be gone after this season

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess we will find out. Excuse me if I'm not freaking out over 1 pre season game. I agree game 1 was sloppy so as a coaching staff you go to work and look to clean these things up. You had mainly 2nd and 3rd string players in the game and every year in every game I see a lot of sloppy play and penalties.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I guess we will find out. Excuse me if I'm not freaking out over 1 pre season game. I agree game 1 was sloppy so as a coaching staff you go to work and look to clean these things up. You had mainly 2nd and 3rd string players in the game and every year in every game I see a lot of sloppy play and penalties.

:clap:

CWR

Reaction score
How was he so successful in GB? Obviously, there is more to it than the coach alone. He has a track record of avoiding excessive penalties, UNTIL his arrival in Dallas that is.