CFZ Can Moore & Dak adjust to the way teams defending them?

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score

Warner points out fundamental design flaws in our offense.

What a damning video, bad play design by the OC, bad decisions by the quarterback, missed blocking assignments by the offensive line, what an epic fail :facepalm:

This game still pisses me off :mad:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
WR production always has to be context normed. Cooper was the top target of opposing defenses, and still produced. WIthout Cooper on the field, all that attention that used to slow him will be focused on our remaining lesser WRs.

Check the advanced stats for the Cowboys WRs
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/receiving_advanced.htm

Cooper, even while getting all the attention from defenses that he did, has a QB rating when thrown to of 116.9.
Gallup and CeeDee are both around 90. Are those numbers supposed to go *up* when one of them is the top target of the defense?
It has to be more of a team effort, bring more balance, they will see less coverage.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Last season was a tale of two separate offenses, one in the beginning of the year that was considered elite and the other one after the Patriots game that was considered average at best. Certainly, there are many factors, but the way Denver devised a plan to defend our offense was the blueprint.

In the early going, teams were stacking the line and taking trying to take away the team's rushing attack, but Fangio, the Denver HC, did the opposite;

-Played extra men in coverage, with two safeties back. His goal was to take away the big passing plays and force Dak to throw into tight windows. Dak had one of his worse games of the season as it was his first game back after injuring his calf.

Other teams followed a similar game plan and had success just like the Broncos did. Force Dak to be patient and throw passes into tight windows. What compounded the offensive struggles was their inability to run the football in light boxes, but also their inability to stay away from the big drive killing penalties. Take away the big play, force the Cowboys to drive the entire field, they will beat themselves. Also, Dak was clearly still hurt and was unwilling to use his legs when his receivers failed to get open.

We saw a similar blueprint against Mahomes and the Chiefs, that really held their elite offense in check. It really took them a lot of time to adjust and they still showed their warts in the playoffs.

Will Dak and Kellen Moore be able to make the necessary adjustments to bring this offense from being average back to elite standards?
the reason they could do that is they could stop the run by still dropping an extra man into coverage. if teams do that and you don't make them pay, they will continue to do that.....

Hadenough

Reaction score
I don't believe they will be able to adjust. At least Dak won't. His inconsistency is being used against him and teams have zero concerns about Dak putting together 15 play drives. He will always need two throws to convert a 3rd down with consistency. His accuracy is another contributor. Sure he will throw a strike here and there but he will also make a lot of throws behind WRs. When they throw screens it's almost always a safe throw where Zeke has to stop and turn around. Rarely does Zeke run a wheel route or crossing route through traffic like Kamara. There is only so much that Moore can call to protect Dak. But this is pretty much what you get with a 4th round QB. Cousins is the same way.

75boyz

Reaction score
Easy
See 2016

Yep, exactly this. As per my earlier post but in a few less words.

Unfortunately though, "that" Zeke is long gone. Thats still not to say that they couldnt return to some kinda version of last year's first 7 games run offense which was the closest thing resembling the 2016 offense since...
Well,

Last edited:

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I did not like MM hands off approach to the offense, nor did i agree with it.
That has to change.

Have you stopped to wonder why MM has this 'hands off' approach to the offense? Could it be the fact that Moore was forced onto him as an OC by Jerry? If it were me I too would let Moore sink or swim - there's no way I would help him succeed.

75boyz

Reaction score
Have you stopped to wonder why MM has this 'hands off' approach to the offense? Could it be the fact that Moore was forced onto him as an OC by Jerry? If it were me I too would let Moore sink or swim - there's no way I would help him succeed.

Or ultimately, to me anyway, Why take the job in the first place?

Unless he was wayyyy broke.

Didnt make sense then and still doesnt unless it was just a whole new re-run of Jerry's part II coach in training, but set up for Moore just like Jerry set Wade up for Garrett.

Its what I thought then and still think now.

Watch...
Even IF Quinn is named as McCarthy's successor, I bet Moore is "selectively retained" as Quinn's OC.

Wanna bet? Gentleman's dollar. LOL

And the story continues same as it ever was.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore needs to improve his in game adjustments.
He shown he can put together a decent game plan, at times, and when all or most players are healthy.

When players go down, he does not seem to adjust well, same for when defense throws a wall at his game plan, he does not adjust either.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The flaw in that however, is, everyone else sees that but Jerry will not. Jerry is determined Moore is his next Garrett he missed on.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Could be Jerry involved behind the scenes stuff going on?

Swagger

Reaction score
Well it's on Moore to get more out of an overpaid QB who isn't in the top 10 QBs in the league. Best of luck to him.