Can Moore fix the offense?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What coach is the last one with only one year as a QBC to be promoted to OC? What would you think the average number of years is usual for an OC to have served as a position coach?

McVay had 5 years as an assistant/position coach before making OC.

Experience can be a valued trait, Linehan had 10 as an OC in DET and DAL. Turner has been an OC for 9 different NFL teams, 3 of those as the HC as well, never able to match what he did in DAL with a top level defense to give balance.

The expectations for Young Kellen should be kept realistic, it's his first year. Some seem to think this is going to be Greatest Show on Turf II. He is going to have his struggles, he is going to get outcoached by more experienced DC's that he will face, the lack of execution will be placed on him as poor play calling at times.

What do we really know about him? The only thing I know is that some were singing his coaching praises and potential before he became one, where have I heard that before?

Was this change necessary? Absolutely Do I think a first time OC can get to the SB? No, I do not. This change was necessary for now and the future.

We've got a coach as a member here and he will tell us that nothing happens until there's a player buy in. That's true in running an organization and I have seen that first hand. In order to achieve, they must first believe. I do not think the team believed in Linehan any longer so a change was necessary. Was there an OC available with skins on the wall that knew this QB any better? Was there an OC available that already had some of the players buying in before he even took the job?

He will have some growing pains, he will struggle at times but there is one thing in his corner for me that has caused me to believe that this was the right move right now. The Boise State football program got on the map with Chris Peterson and Kellen Moore and if you're not familiar with the type coach Peterson is he's that guy that can beat yours and take yours and beat his, he extends beyond the recruiting. He called it about Moore when he was playing for him and let him call some of his own plays, that's the confidence he has in him so I am going to bow to someone with a hell of a lot more knowledge about this young coach and football.

When I don't know, I listen to the people that I think do know.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Was it?

Direct quote from Jerry Jones:

"I've said this to [Moore]: I want those new ideas," Jones said with a smile. "I want them fought for until the glass breaks. Squeal. Holler. If they're not being implemented, call me, but let's get in here and do the kinds of things we do to get the most out of a very talented roster.
* Ya know? I have tirelessly strived thruout, in my lifelong efforted endeavour to achieve even the slightest semblance of parity ,in equaling the presented oratorically superlative verbal skills of our Football DaD's unique styled vernacular,,, er,,,and have learned it's gonna' entail an redoubling of concentrated focus in doing so,,,o_O

:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

nobody

Reaction score
* Ya know? I have tirelessly strived thruout, in my lifelong efforted endeavour to achieve even the slightest semblance of parity ,in equaling the presented oratorically superlative verbal skills of our Football DaD's unique styled vernacular,,, er,,,and have learned it's gonna' entail an redoubling of concentrated focus in doing so,,,o_O

:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

If anyone can truly decipher Jerryspeak, Melon, it's you. Now we just need someone to decipher Melonspeak after it's been translated from Jerryspeak. :grin:

The thing about Jerry is that we truly don't know how much of his speaking is alcohol induced, ego self-stroke, misdirection, delusion or he just gets lost in the speaking process and how much he's just being sincere and isn't the greatest at communicating his true meaning.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Nothing but common sense which you obviously lack to an extreme extent.
You're absolutely correct. We all know 100% Jerry wouldn't go hiring/promoting/forcing coaches on the HC. He's never done it before why start now am I right?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/4-can-kellen-moore-fix-the-offense

I think Moore is going to make a huge difference in this offense. I don’t buy that it’s just going to be a tweak here and a tweak there. Run schemes and passing routes are all well known in the NFL. It’s all about how well you disguise the players to keep the defense having to guess instead of knowing what the play is as was the case with Linehan. He’ll be willing to change on the fly once a defense gets a key on a play. He’s not just going to say “our talent will beat your talent”. I can’t wait to see this offense.
Curious what this speculation is based on besides hope?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If anyone can truly decipher Jerryspeak, Melon, it's you. Now we just need someone to decipher Melonspeak after it's been translated from Jerryspeak. :grin:

The thing about Jerry is that we truly don't know how much of his speaking is alcohol induced, ego self-stroke, misdirection, delusion or he just gets lost in the speaking process and how much he's just being sincere and isn't the greatest at communicating his true meaning.
All we can do is take his words and actions at face value. We’d all rather he didn’t speak so much but since he does he’s the biggest voice for our franchise.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You're absolutely correct. We all know 100% Jerry wouldn't go hiring/promoting/forcing coaches on the HC. He's never done it before why start now am I right?
The old Jerry would but you obviously have been sleeping the last 6 or so years. Not surprised based on all your takes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What coach is the last one with only one year as a QBC to be promoted to OC? What would you think the average number of years is usual for an OC to have served as a position coach?

McVay had 5 years as an assistant/position coach before making OC.

Experience can be a valued trait, Linehan had 10 as an OC in DET and DAL. Turner has been an OC for 9 different NFL teams, 3 of those as the HC as well, never able to match what he did in DAL with a top level defense to give balance.

The expectations for Young Kellen should be kept realistic, it's his first year. Some seem to think this is going to be Greatest Show on Turf II. He is going to have his struggles, he is going to get outcoached by more experienced DC's that he will face, the lack of execution will be placed on him as poor play calling at times.

What do we really know about him? The only thing I know is that some were singing his coaching praises and potential before he became one, where have I heard that before?

Was this change necessary? Absolutely Do I think a first time OC can get to the SB? No, I do not. This change was necessary for now and the future.

We've got a coach as a member here and he will tell us that nothing happens until there's a player buy in. That's true in running an organization and I have seen that first hand. In order to achieve, they must first believe. I do not think the team believed in Linehan any longer so a change was necessary. Was there an OC available with skins on the wall that knew this QB any better? Was there an OC available that already had some of the players buying in before he even took the job?

He will have some growing pains, he will struggle at times but there is one thing in his corner for me that has caused me to believe that this was the right move right now. The Boise State football program got on the map with Chris Peterson and Kellen Moore and if you're not familiar with the type coach Peterson is he's that guy that can beat yours and take yours and beat his, he extends beyond the recruiting. He called it about Moore when he was playing for him and let him call some of his own plays, that's the confidence he has in him so I am going to bow to someone with a hell of a lot more knowledge about this young coach and football.

When I don't know, I listen to the people that I think do know.
I’m not sure why we’re so certain it’s going to be a positive spin?

If the selling point is his impact at Boise that’s not a good sign to me.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Curious what this speculation is based on besides hope?
Maybe you you were out of country on a mission last year but every team knew what the Cowboys were going to run 75% of the time. Especially on 1st down and especially inside the 20. Give the ball to Zeke. Do you freaking think that Moore is going to do the same? And even if he does, do you think the formations will be the same? If you do, you’re an xxxxxxxxxxxx

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Maybe you you were out of country on a mission last year but every team knew what the Cowboys were going to run 75% of the time. Especially on 1st down and especially inside the 20. Give the ball to Zeke. Do you freaking think that Moore is going to do the same? And even if he does, do you think the formations will be the same? If you do, you’re an xxxxxxxxxxxx
Shocking.. you’re unable to have have a discussion with dissenting opinions without personal insults.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What evidence do we have that Moore’s offensive schemes or play calling will be an improvement?

Sounds like speculative hope to me. And that’s fine as long it’s described as such.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How’s Moores offense and play calling going to be effected if Elliott holds out?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yet you are unable to discuss what I said. :facepalm:
I don’t have to discuss what you said. I can respond however I choose without personal insults.

To be honest .. I have no idea what Moore is going to do. He has no history as OC. And I’m not assuming it’s going to be an improvement.

Number1

Reaction score
Wasn't there a thread here about it being said that Jerry told Moore that if Garrett gave him trouble, come to Jerry?

can that be substantiate?

swapping one notion for another doesn't move the needle

describing the coaching staff as A vs B, and JJ taking sides is kinda Jr high thinking

I just don't believe any FO would groom an OC (or DC) for 3 years if the HC (and QB) didn't sign off on it, if not suggest it.