Can Petitti play at left guard?

Gonhoz

Reaction score
Petitti can play as Left Guard?
Petitti_Rob_150.jpg

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Petitti's only 6-5 1/2, but I think BP likes to keep the young pups at one position.

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
Not very good at 6'7....he can not get enough leverage IMO at OG.

it's not about his size... that has some bearing on it... it's more about his quickness and ability to get to the next level... a guard must chase down LBers and be able to pull out in front of a RB... IMO Pettiti would be better suited to bulking a bit more, again, and staying at tackle...

His problems there seemed to stem from technigue mostly... that can be worked on...

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Gonhoz said:
Petitti can play as Left Guard?
Petitti_Rob_150.jpg

I talk alot crap about this guy, I'm starting to feel sorry for him. I mean just looking at his pic I cant help but feel bad for the guy. He's a 7th rounder that got pushed into starting. I think I've been to critical of the guy, but I just cant help it, I wanna see the COWBOYs win and when players play dumb I get Pissed OFF!...

I hope he does good, Honeslty I really do.

DMX690

Reaction score
I be more interested in moving Torrin Tucker back to his natural position as a Guard then moving Pettiti, I think Torrin Tucker would do very well as a guard.

jrumann59

Reaction score
TT would be a great guard, for the gatorade, he is equivalant to Leaf, a lot of talent just doesn't know how to use it.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
RCFLIP said:
I believe Rob is 6"6 1/2" --- certainly not under 6'6"

Here are Rob's Combine numbers from 2005.

Height: 6057
Weight: 340

So, he is right under 6'6".

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Naw, keep him at RT. He'll be better this year. Even if Fabini starts we need him as insurance, etc. I think he'll push Fabini and surprise a lot of his detractors. His run blocking was pretty darn good.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DMX690 said:
I be more interested in moving Torrin Tucker back to his natural position as a Guard then moving Pettiti, I think Torrin Tucker would do very well as a guard.

Tucker's natural position should be not with this team. He was far worse than Petitti last year. Yet Rob is everyone's whipping boy.

conner01

Reaction score
why do people always have this brains storm of changing a guys position?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
conner01 said:
why do people always have this brains storm of changing a guys position?

why not? we are going to re-sign Larry Allen and have him play center or RT. Whichever is the biggest need.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
I really hope that Rob is not down at all by the signing of Fabini. He had to know we weren't going to stand pat after the way the line struggled last year. In a way it's a much, much better thing for Rob that we brought Fabini in at the relatively modest salary we did than use a early draft pick on a tackle. I would be surprised now to see that happen.

Rob still has a great opportunity here. He knows it's a performance business and he knows BP will play the best players. Fabini is not making so much money that Bill will feel compelled to play him. As of this moment you'd have to give the edge to the vet, but Rob faced much longer odds just making the team last year as a 6th round pick. It was really the Rogers injury that pushed him into the starting lineup. BP is NOT going to move him. Rob's a natural tackle by body type and experience. Truthfully he needs to get stronger and improve his technique, maybe even ask to get some work at LT in TC just to increase his value to the team. Position flexibility is big in the league but if anything we'd like to see Rob be able to fill in at LT, not guard.

pittdawg

Proud Father
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
I really hope that Rob is not down at all by the signing of Fabini. He had to know we weren't going to stand pat after the way the line struggled last year. In a way it's a much, much better thing for Rob that we brought Fabini in at the relatively modest salary we did than use a early draft pick on a tackle. I would be surprised now to see that happen.

Rob still has a great opportunity here. He knows it's a performance business and he knows BP will play the best players. Fabini is not making so much money that Bill will feel compelled to play him. As of this moment you'd have to give the edge to the vet, but Rob faced much longer odds just making the team last year as a 6th round pick. It was really the Rogers injury that pushed him into the starting lineup. BP is NOT going to move him. Rob's a natural tackle by body type and experience. Truthfully he needs to get stronger and improve his technique, maybe even ask to get some work at LT in TC just to increase his value to the team. Position flexibility is big in the league but if anything we'd like to see Rob be able to fill in at LT, not guard.

i think that's a very good assessment. rob is not discouraged, nor is he relinquishing his position without an all out effort. he has stayed in dallas since seasons end to work on his physical limitations and to improve on conditioning and strength. he has been lifting heavily and has gained 10 to 12 lbs of muscle.

concerning position flexibility, i think he is still better at LT because of continuing adjustment to the RT. after mini camp and going into the season, i think these should even out. the added strength will definitely be beneficial here.

that being said, if fabini prevails i know rob will take this as an opportunity to not only learn from a vet, but a chance to perfect his own game.