Can Rob Ryan turn things around?

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
Everyone knows that our defense last year was pretty bad and gave up more points than ever. By reading all the articles and listening to Jerry, it seems he is fairly content with what we have on defense. I do believe he will try and bring in a Safety in free agency but it sounds like that may be about it.
Jerry believes the addition of Rob Ryan is going to go a long way in solving our defensive problems. I know that Ryan will probably move some people around and try and give some different looks but will that be enough? Just curious what everyone thinks since it doesn't look like we will be making a big splash in free agency.........

Ren

Reaction score
It's the same BS Jerry's been selling us for years when it comes to certain positions. If we don't do anything about safety Ryan won't be able to turn this around. If Newman continues to decline and Jenkins doesn't bounce back He won't be able to turn it around either

If we fill these holes with solid players then he probably can, Wade probably could have too

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I think rob Ryan is going to need time and we might see something in the first year, but all this outside stuff isnt helping. Lets see what we see and be happy if we see progress of any sort.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
Even though Jenkins didn't play well last year I still think he is a good corner. I'm wondering where AOA is at in terms of playing time...Will he be any good? Bryan Broaddus thinks Scandrick will eventually play safety for the Cowboys..Don't know how that will work though...

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Wade's defense had become so predictable, I don't see how Ryan couldn't improve it.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I still think most of the problem is from the neck up. They do have some holes to plug, especially at safety, but I have a really hard time believing they went from the #2 scoring defense in 2009 to #31 in 2010 in the NFL because 10 starters collectively took a dramatic nosedive in physical ability simultaneously in the span of 6 months. I don't know if it's X's and O's or that the team lost it's confidence/mojo under Wade, but this defense has talent.

cjr126

Benched
Reaction score
dmq;3939874 said:
Wade's defense had become so predictable, I don't see how Ryan couldn't improve it.

every time we got torched by some other teams offense the one constant was the opposing players saying that our defense was so predictable .. that was the one knock that seemed to be consistent no matter who u asked

from what i've read about Rob Ryan's philosophy being predictable won't be the problem going forward .. let's just hope he can get the defense to buy into it

this is the 3rd defensive scheme now in the last 8 yrs .. this better work

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3939879 said:
I still think most of the problem is from the neck up. They do have some holes to plug, especially at safety, but I have a really hard time believing they went from the #2 scoring defense in 2009 to #31 in 2010 in the NFL because 10 starters collectively took a dramatic nosedive in physical ability simultaneously in the span of 6 months. I don't know if it's X's and O's or that the team lost it's confidence/mojo under Wade, but this defense has talent.

I agree, just having Ryan run the defense at every practive will make a huge difference.

Tackling is attitude, .. defense is attitude.

Ryan brings attitude.

We still need to add/replace some talent, but Ryan will make each player better. (If said player wants to be better in the first place. )

<**coughjenkinscough**>

And if each player gets better, the defense gets better.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Clearly we need to get a safety in here who is not a liablity what I think Rob can provide and do so quickly is a mindset and push players to play to their ability.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3939915 said:
I agree, just having Ryan run the defense at every practive will make a huge difference.

Tackling is attitude, .. defense is attitude.

Ryan brings attitude.

We still need to add/replace some talent, but Ryan will make each player better. (If said player wants to be better in the first place. )

<**coughjenkinscough**>

And if each player gets better, the defense gets better.

I agree I also think getting guys on the same page with each other. I played defense for many years and one thing I noticed is it was not the individal who makes a defense great it is a unit playing as 1. You don't get 1 or 2 guys to the ball you get guys flying around and swarming to the ball, not 1 guy standing their watching

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Yes, but each day that passes with the lockout i think hurts his chances to make an immediate impact. His system is complex and these guys need to be learning it.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Actually I think if we can get it going by June or early July we will be OK. The guys we have are looking at what he has done elsewhere; it is not a secret. So they can familiarize themselves with the basics which come first anyway.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
This is a list of free agent safety's I stole from CBS sports..Why is Huff not listed??

Quintin Mikell, Eagles
Darren Sharper, Saints
Gerald Sensabaugh, Cowboys
Bernard Pollard, Texans
Lawyer Milloy, Seahawks
Brodney Pool, Jets
[URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493120"]Roy Williams[/URL], Bengals
Gibril Wilson, Bengals
C.C. Brown, Lions
Derrick Martin, Packers
Eugene Wilson, Texans
Aaron Francisco, Colts
Ken Hamlin, Colts
Sean Considine, Jaguars
Jon McGraw, Chiefs
Pierson Prioleau, Saints
Deon Grant, Giants

ringmaster

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3939928 said:
Yes, but each day that passes with the lockout i think hurts his chances to make an immediate impact. His system is complex and these guys need to be learning it.
I'm quite sure that some of the players on defense who showed up Friday when the lockout was temporarily lifted got a copy of Ryan's playbook.