Can someone explain the analytics that say going for it on 4th at 0-0 is the right call?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, same argument, just didn't explain myself well. You called me out for it. Right on. But that's not to say sports psychology is not a real element that should be considered. Sometimes you just need to get the jitters out, instead of trying to seize the win early on when your team may not be ready. Last week is a great example with Cooper Rush and all the early Hulk Packages.

Like Cool Fan says above, momentum is a real thing too. Like you said, we don't know what they're feeling and talking about in that locker room. But you can still feel it as a fan.
Yeah, I don't believe either that momentum is a real thing, or that fans can tell anything at all about what's going on in the minds of the players during a game.

I mean, when teams fall behind, they have to pursue riskier and riskier strategies to try to catch up, and that can make things steamroll against them. So that can look like "momentum," but it's not a psychological phenomenon.

I love the debates after big wins about whether the "momentum" will lead to the team playing better and winning in future games, or whether they'll have an "emotional letdown" in the next game, and so lose. When in fact, how they do in the next game has virtually nothing to do with those factors, and the fact that fans can rationalize either outcome is a big tell that there's nothing to it.