News: Can The Defense Solve The Takeaway Problem?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Can The Defense Solve The Takeaway Problem?
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/07/19/20-questions-can-defense-solve-takeaway-problem

David Helman: I have to assume they can, considering this group managed to force 31 takeaways during the 2014 season – good enough for second in the league. Last year that fell all the way to 11 takeaways, which was dead-last in the entire NFL. So how do they fix it? Well, with any luck, a healthy offense in 2016 will lead to more second-half leads, which means teams will be playing aggressively to catch up. If the opposition is throwing and hurrying in the second half – rather than trying to grind down the clock – then the likes of Sean Lee, Byron Jones and Orlando Scandrick should have more opportunities at interceptions. On top of that, this pass rush can only be helped if it’s playing with a lead – as it’ll have to focus less on the run and more on getting the quarterback. So that’s the best bet, in my opinion. This defense is lacking in playmakers, and it’s going to need some help from the offense to improve in the takeaway department.

Bryan Broaddus: No team in the league works harder creating turnovers in practice than this group. These coaches run countless drills - ripping the ball loose and catching tipped passes, so the attention to detail is there. I recall games in 2015 where defensively they did create turnovers but because of a misplayed pass, penalty on the play or unable to secure a ball on the ground, they missed an opportunity to gain a turnover. I think this defense needs to do a better job of finishing. If they were to do that, the problem would improve...