Can the NFL go to an NBA like Salary Cap?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Frankly I have no desire to see the NFL turn into the NBA as far as the players (tail) wagging the dog. There has to be a middle ground. I do think the QB "exception" is an idea that has merit. And maybe it can be extended to any position maybe every other year? Just allow teams to be able to retain good talent that it drafts and grows however the hell you do it.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Is the NBA cap any different than baseball? I don’t follow either. Little I know about baseball is the Yankees have a payroll of over $200M and Pirates have a payroll of $50M. Numbers are probably dated.

Do people really want something like that where the Cowboys spend $300M and the Bengals and Jaguars spend $150M?
As a cowboys fan I would love that. Also don’t think baseball has a salary cap

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Is the NBA cap any different than baseball? I don’t follow either. Little I know about baseball is the Yankees have a payroll of over $200M and Pirates have a payroll of $50M. Numbers are probably dated.

Do people really want something like that where the Cowboys spend $300M and the Bengals and Jaguars spend $150M?

The NFL addressed this a few years ago by adding a floor to the salary cap. Like many things with the salary cap this is not a hard rule for every season but based on an average spread across multiple seasons.

Flamma

Reaction score
Honest question. I know the owners would have to agree but the players would for sure. I wonder if we went to an NBA like system to counteract these QB's taking up so much cap. If there were a luxury tax etc. What do you guys think?

IMO I like the idea of giving a cap discount for resigning drafted players. Anywhere between 25-50%. But the owners will never go for what will cost them more. So they'll never go for the NBA system. My idea, which isn't really my idea, wouldn't cost them that much more if anything.

jnday

Reaction score
Honest question. I know the owners would have to agree but the players would for sure. I wonder if we went to an NBA like system to counteract these QB's taking up so much cap. If there were a luxury tax etc. What do you guys think?
Why not do the smart thing and stop overpaying QBs?

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
no incentive to the owners to pay their players more. NBA has a stronger union that the NFL

Loso86

Reaction score
Idk about that, it's already tough enough because the teams only have like 11 or so players to pay unlike the 53 players NFL teams pay

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ah. The good ole days. Before Jerry Jones. Or even Jimmy Johnson. When strikes were sparked by player/owner disagreements. When more than several teams (plural) dominated for decades, more than a handful of core players stayed with clubs most or all their careers, and football was legendary.

<- Just a guy who has been anti-salary cap enforced parity since 1993

It was about 2005 or 2006 when I finally started accepting the NFL's current salary cap/free agency system was permanent. It is 2021. The system set like concrete long ago...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Them good ol' boys in the NFL wouldn't dare agree to anything like that. They get upset when players ask for anything. They like their outdated formula...remember these guys consider these players "inmates" and they don't want them to "run the asylum".

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
The "Bird Rights" idea is a neat one, but they need to get rid of the Franchise Tag. The tag gives the owners to much control over a player's career. Fans are always hollering for a player to finish out their contract, then they do, and the owners stop them from participating in a free market system. You want to stop a player from leaving? Negotiate a new deal before the current one expires.

jnday

Reaction score
The "Bird Rights" idea is a neat one, but they need to get rid of the Franchise Tag. The tag gives the owners to much control over a player's career. Fans are always hollering for a player to finish out their contract, then they do, and the owners stop them from participating in a free market system. You want to stop a player from leaving? Negotiate a new deal before the current one expires.
The owners are giving the players a job, so they are going to have control over their careers right up to the point when they no longer want to employ the player anymore.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
The owners are giving the players a job, so they are going to have control over their careers right up to the point when they no longer want to employ the player anymore.
The players are not employees in the manner that you are trying to define them. Can your current employer control whether or not you leave for another company?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Great idea
Need a QB cap within the cap too.