Can we develop our own tush push?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Yes, I purposely titled the thread with that question, but not as-if to be taunting the other similar thread... rather to develop more of a conversation around how to proactively and directly neutralize the advantage that PHI enjoys.

We've had more than enough conversation around here over the months about how defenses ought to defend it, and/or how the league ought to reconsider the rules.

But while we all would celebrate that defensive coordinator who finally solved the puzzle, designing and executing consistently the perfect way to defend against it... for now, we can only conclude that it's highly unlikely.

Is all hope lost, though? No. Because virtually everyone acknowledges that the "magic" of the play is in the technique so much more so than that the PHI linemen are so very uniquely talented to run it. I dare say, there may even be more talented players across the league, but they just don't play on teams that have given the play the same emphasis.

And I dare say that our linemen might be among those. But it does take time and commitment and practice... and time is limited by nature of the CBA... McCarthy has to consider the opportunity cost of investing the necessary time... and what plays don't get practiced so that a Cowboys tush push does.

It's a worthy conversation, though, when the outcomes of high leverage regular season games and of post season games so routinely pivot on just a few downs' success or failure.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
So I saw the Cardinals do a tush push with a different player then Murray. How genius..get someone in there with more mass in their legs.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Well, we did have the Hulk Package at one time. Where’s Connor McGovern when you need him?

Techsass

Reaction score
I don't know if we'll ever try doing it, but I'm sure there are a lot of OCs looking into doing it. It's basically a nuclear QB sneak on steroids.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
No one ever asks why Hurts can squat 600… he trained in high school to compete as an amateur power lifter. He is literally built to run this play and “survive” it. Anthony Richardson, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz, Josh Allen….

if your QB doesn’t look like that, I would never succumb my franchise QB to that play over and over again. Especially if he’s on the wrong side of 30, has a recent injury history, and hasn’t been training For this play his entire adult life.

Do it once in a critical moment in the playoffs? Sure. Do it as much as Philly so that it affects the outcome of the season? It’s just not worth it

foofighters

Reaction score
Doesn't Hurts squat like a ton? I am sure that probably helps quite a bit.

Reaction score
Yes, I purposely titled the thread with that question, but not as-if to be taunting the other similar thread... rather to develop more of a conversation around how to proactively and directly neutralize the advantage that PHI enjoys.

We've had more than enough conversation around here over the months about how defenses ought to defend it, and/or how the league ought to reconsider the rules.

But while we all would celebrate that defensive coordinator who finally solved the puzzle, designing and executing consistently the perfect way to defend against it... for now, we can only conclude that it's highly unlikely.

Is all hope lost, though? No. Because virtually everyone acknowledges that the "magic" of the play is in the technique so much more so than that the PHI linemen are so very uniquely talented to run it. I dare say, there may even be more talented players across the league, but they just don't play on teams that have given the play the same emphasis.

And I dare say that our linemen might be among those. But it does take time and commitment and practice... and time is limited by nature of the CBA... McCarthy has to consider the opportunity cost of investing the necessary time... and what plays don't get practiced so that a Cowboys tush push does.

It's a worthy conversation, though, when the outcomes of high leverage regular season games and of post season games so routinely pivot on just a few downs' success or failure.
How about a dwarf toss and they have Tyler Smith throw Deuce Vaughn forward for about 10 yards,,, :grin:

Cydios

Reaction score
Well we'll need a larger center and a slightly smaller qb..

_sturt_

Reaction score
How about a dwarf toss and they have Tyler Smith throw Deuce Vaughn forward for about 10 yards,,, :grin:
Yes! Yes! YES!

dwarf-lotr.gif

D'oh!!!

jwitten82

Reaction score
No one ever asks why Hurts can squat 600… he trained in high school to compete as an amateur power lifter. He is literally built to run this play and “survive” it. Anthony Richardson, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz, Josh Allen….

if your QB doesn’t look like that, I would never succumb my franchise QB to that play over and over again. Especially if he’s on the wrong side of 30, has a recent injury history, and hasn’t been training For this play his entire adult life.

Do it once in a critical moment in the playoffs? Sure. Do it as much as Philly so that it affects the outcome of the season? It’s just not worth it
Dak has the perfect build for this play

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I think every team is going to do it. some more successful than others. every OC is going to review it and study it and implement it. and then when it turns the game into a mockery (essentially you need 8,9 yards and last 1 or 2 is automatic 99% of the time), the league will put a stop to it. its a copy cat league.

Blackrain

Reaction score
We may be able to develop it but not overnight heck the eagles got some Scottish rugby coach to come over and Coach them on how to do it they just didn't decide one day they were going to do this and everything fell into place it was carefully planned.
This is a project for the off season but when we were on their six yard line and could have won the game and walked off it would have been great to be able to do it if the situation was turned around they would have done it to us and scored.
Instead we were offsides sacked and squandered the whole opportunity to win the game .

_sturt_

Reaction score
Okay, sorry to detour my own thread here, but I'm just so fascinated by this out of the box thinking I didn't anticipate... hehehehe... thanks @ElGatoGrande

Maybe a bit much to do a full scale dwarf toss, but is there theoretically any rule that wouldn't allow Deuce to chicken-fight mount pre-snap our biggest fast guy... say, Sam Williams... they line-up in shotgun, the ball gets hiked up to Deuce, who catches the ball and secures it to his chest as Sam runs headlong into the line and upon hitting someone, launches Deuce in the air well over top of the scrum, or even just enough.

I want to see it. I don't know that I want to use it in a game, but I want to see it. :D :D :D

_sturt_

Reaction score
Put Hankins and Mazi in the backfield.

Don't overthink it.
Unlike the post just posted, I was one... maybe the only one, maybe not... to suggest once we discovered Sam Williams was as quick as he is, that he would make an ideal short yardage runner assuming he's able to hold on to the ball... and it just is hard to persuade me that anyone that athletic can't have the coordination to take a hand-off and the strength to hold on to the ball.

Reaction score
Okay, sorry to detour my own thread here, but I'm just so fascinated by this out of the box thinking I didn't anticipate... hehehehe... thanks @ElGatoGrande

Maybe a bit much to do a full scale dwarf toss, but is there theoretically any rule that wouldn't allow Deuce to chicken-fight mount pre-snap our biggest fast guy... say, Sam Williams... they line-up in shotgun, the ball gets hiked up to Deuce, who catches the ball and secures it to his chest as Sam runs headlong into the line and upon hitting someone, launches Deuce in the air well over top of the scrum, or even just enough.

I want to see it. I don't know that I want to use it in a game, but I want to see it. :D :D :D
There you go! instead of what's become an acceptable scrum advancement of the ball carrier just have him hop on the back the biggest baddazz you got and have the jumbo package o-line surround him and march forward!

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
We already do the QB sneak. I personally would avoid it. Why risk QB injury?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
It's just too hard to copy. The Eagles have the combination of a great OL and a great QB built for it. Not just any QB can line up and get those yards...it doesn't matter if you're tall. Josh Allen is 6'5" and when the Bills tried it, they got the yard but just barely. Hurts is the perfect combination of size and strength to be able to make it work.